What I liked about Hatch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SubGod22
    I feel kinda bad for Butler. I've been high on him since we started recruiting him. I like his athleticism and think he could be a defensive contributor in the paint with his length and jumping ability. But I don't know what goes on in practice. Obviously he's not doing something right. It's a shame that he worked so hard to get eligible and stay on the team but apparently doesn't put forth the effort that Marshall desires. I still think he could give us a shot blocker inside but we may never see it.

One of the things about Hatch since day one was that he was said to be a hard worker. He was expected to do whatever was asked of him and I think that will earn him some minutes. He showed last night that he can help and play some minutes. With more PT maybe he can show more. If nothing else, he becomes more confident and feels more comfortable out there. He may not be the quickest but he's smart and and a hard worker. That accounts for something.
    He's not doing something right is the truth. Actually, that may be the understatement of the year. More later. 8)
    Above all, make the right call.

Comment

Hatch did not look very rusty last night , suprising to me because of no competive basketball for two years. I hope he makes it, no div 1 team ever has enough good 3 pt shooters. Always room for one more. I remember one time Graham, after being asked to go into the game, ran to the scorers table to check in. he plays with the same enthusiasm. I also like his ability to feed the interior players. I think by the end of this season we will have a better feel on how much Graham will contribute to the Shocks in the future. If CM does as he said on the last coachs show and "probably sign two more players". Who knows then what changes will occur. some we will figure out before, but i am sure there will be suprise or two.

Comment

Re: Hatch

Originally posted by goshocks
        Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
        Originally posted by xazshox
        That performance should earn him some more minutes in the future! Looks like being out 2 yrs since playing in high school has helped him with added maturity. He was really cool for a freshman.
        His future, of course, being limited by the remaining games left this year...

T

...8)
        uh oh, does Cold know something we dont?
        This was just an opinion based on the fact that Hatch is the exact opposite of the kind of player Gregg likes to recruit. Hatch is slow and not built particularly well. He just isn't an athlete.

Any inside info I obtain about the program never gets aired on a message board! :)

T

...8)

Comment

For once, I agree with Cold. No inside information about athletics or students should be posted here. (Now a WSU student who write "PJ is in my class and he is wearing a cast" (j'k) is not revealing "inside information" in the sense of revealing confidential information.)
          Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
          Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

We can use all the help we can get this year in the shooting department - Hatch is supposed to be a maker - we need to give him every opportunity to prove it...

If Gal continues to progress a the point and MB gets back, we could have two good PGs to maintain the motion and energy we need to spring a shooter like GH loose for some easy 3s. Might loosen up Mantas as well, but I think GH is a very mature freshman, who could potentially make major contributions as the season progresses.

:goshocks: :goshocks: :goshocks:
            Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Who's to say that Hatch won't become a player Marshall wants to keep?
              Deep in the heart of couldn't give a crap about college basketball-land and I miss the SHOX.
              Students > Alumni
              If you EVER want to open your damn mouths about Selection Sunday, READ THIS FIRST: http://www.midmajority.com/p/1296
              The ONLY document that means ANYTHING: http://www.bbstate.com/schools/WICH/sheet

Comment

Originally posted by fastbow
                Like Fogler kept Hammerin' Hank Carr, who was relegated to Gene Smithson's bench during his last year.

Comment

The day Gregg starts to like players like Hatch is the day we revert back to the 90's. I'm glad to say that HCGM doesn't like players like Hatch (nothing personal).

Hatch is playing on a team, in a league, just a few notches above his ability. What in the world was MT thinking?

T

...8)

Comment

Originally posted by ABC
                    Like Fogler kept Hammerin' Hank Carr, who was relegated to Gene Smithson's bench during his last year.
                    Notta clue what that really meant... Guess I'm too young...
                    Deep in the heart of couldn't give a crap about college basketball-land and I miss the SHOX.
                    Students > Alumni
                    If you EVER want to open your damn mouths about Selection Sunday, READ THIS FIRST: http://www.midmajority.com/p/1296
                    The ONLY document that means ANYTHING: http://www.bbstate.com/schools/WICH/sheet

Comment

As Cold says Graham is generally not the type of player HCGM would recruit.

That said he is in the fold now and he may or may not be a Shocker in the future. However, that doesn't mean HCGM cuts him loose.

There are several possibilities (listed in order of probability):

1. GH proves he can can, with hard work, contribute to the Shocker success and will get enough PT to make it worth his while to hang around. The rest of this year may tell the tale about that.

2. GH decides on his own that he would be happier elsewhere and move on. I think most players are smart enough to see the handwriting on the wall and will make decisions in their own self-interest.

3. HCGM might tell GH that PT will be scarce but he can, with this knowledge forehand, stay with the team if he desires, or

4. HCGM can simply not renew GH's scholarship unilaterally, because he is not his kind of player. Personally, this is not something I would like to see our program make a habit of doing, although now and then it may very well be in all parties best interest.

For now, I hope to see Graham get a few more chances to show us what he can do.

Comment

The number of minutes Hatch played on Saturday surprised me. What did not surprise me was his composure. You have to remember that Hatch is a couple years older than the average freshman and I would bet a lot more mature.

I agree with the posters that stated that Hatch is not the type of player CGM would typically recruit. Hatch probably has a lot more to prove, just because he is not as athletic as other players, to earn playing time. However, what I like about Hatch is his size and shooting. While it is true that he will never be the quickest kid on the court, there are ways to overcome a lack of foot speed.

It will be interesting to see what happens with this kid from here on out.

Comment

Hatch is Matt Clark, part deaux.

I would have no problem having either one around to be a role player for four years. I don't think that takes us back to the 90s unless Hatch is starting or the first guard off the bench.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock

I would have no problem having either one around to be a role player for four years. I don't think that takes us back to the 90s unless Hatch is starting or the first guard off the bench.
                            Unless Hatch really improves, I do not think that will happen. The recruiting class looks too good on paper and CGM has proven he has no problem playing freshmen.

Comment

6'4" Matt Clark isn't chopped liver.

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie
                                Originally posted by RoyalShock

Unless Hatch really improves, I do not think that will happen. The recruiting class looks too good on paper and CGM has proven he has no problem playing freshmen.
                                I don't think it will happen either, which is my point.

The guy is a freshman. I think he will continue to mature and improve to the point of being a valuable roleplayer for a couple of seasons. Who wouldn't want a kid that gets 5-7 minutes a game who can play adequate defense, take care of the ball and be able to knock down a trey or two?

All this talk of him not coming back is way too premature. We need one or two players every season who will be happy putting out effort in practice and getting minimal or spot minutes. And they don't have to be walk-ons.

Comment

Working...
                                X