Clear All

• Wichita State Shockers vs. Arizona Wildcats Pregame Discussion 11-19-21

ARIZONA (3-0) vs WICHITA STATE (3-0)
    ROMAN MAIN EVENT

FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 19, 2021 | 9:00 P.M. CT
    LAS VEGAS, NEVADA | T-MOBILE ARENA
    TV: ESPNU
    RADIO: KEYN 103.7 FM https://www.radio.com/keyn/listen
    SERIES: WICHITA STATE LEADS 2-1 AND HAS WON THE LAST 2 MEETINGS WITH THE WILDCATS.
    LAST MEETING
    : Wichita State beat Arizona 65-55 in the NCAA Men's Basketball Championships - First Round in Providence, R.I./Dunkin' Donuts Center on March 17, 2016.
    usa-today-9192985.0.jpg
    20211117_073555.jpg
    Last edited by wichshock65; November 17, 2021, 09:14 AM.

These are season stats against three (not bad) but clearly inferior teams:
    1. Team rebound average only a 34-32 advantage
    2. FG% WSU .39 opponents 42%
    3. Only shooting 30% from beyond the arc but limiting opponents to 27%
    4. Assists just under 13 per game........fairly low IMO
    5. Turnovers 13 a game for a 1 to 1 ratio. Not terrible but need to improve
    6. 3-0 Can't do any better than that except our offense has been pretty ugly
    7. As in past years the defense carries us but to beat a quality opponent the
    offense has to be more efficient. Let's hope it starts Friday night. Go Shocks !

Comment

Play relaxed. Shoot the jumpers in rhythm and don't overpass the ball endlessly without converting a bucket, or over passing it only to have a bad turnover. That's bad coaching.

They're going to need to hit some 3's to keep the game close, or win. I'm looking at you DD (and of course others).

Comment

Yes that was funny when Coach Sean Miller shirt was wet. But that was more than 5 years ago. Tommy Lloyd is their new Coach. A longtime Gonzaga coach. He has gotten them playing Gonzaga ball on the offense. They are pounding people with their size blocking shots along with their awesome passing and shooting. Many media experts say the Shocks don't stand a chance. This is power 5 big boy basketball. Our big men will be destroyed and our guards will wilt like a desert flower. They say more meat for the wildcats.

Comment

Last time we played AZ, we were way undersized as well and we won by solid D. Let roll out the ball and see what happens.
          Get a recap of the Wichita State Shockers vs. Arizona Wildcats basketball game.

Comment

U of A is young roster wise but some of their international players look 25 years old. They can shoot the three from four different positions and are massive inside. IB was good as an assistant coming up with game plans against very good teams, but unless the plan includes giving them Salmonella the night before at a Vegas buffet, they will be extremely tough to beat, especially given our performance the first three games.

Comment

I'm going to guess the Vegas line will be in the 7-8 range in favor of Arizona. I'm not sur we'll cover that. There's a lot of potential with this team but I've yet to see anything that gives me a lot of confidence going into this one. I'll always cheer for a Shox victory, but I have my doubts based on what we've seen so far.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

My biggest takeaway from watching the first three regular season games plus the exhibition is that we are inconsistent and still trying to settle into roles and mesh as a team.

I’ve seen us play really good defense and some not so good defense. We’ve done a great job of finishing defensive possessions with check outs and team rebounding at times but then reverted back to old habits at other times. I’ve seen us make open looks at an overall good % and also look like we might break the glass.

My point is I just don’t know exactly what to expect from this team other than they’re going to play hard (notwithstanding Tyson’s jog back on defense after turning it over then getting dunked on because he couldn’t be bothered to turn around and put a forearm on a guy).

The pieces are all there and have been displayed at various times it’s just a question of can they put them all together in one game for as close to 40 minutes as possible? If so, there’s no reason they can’t beat Arizona. A loss, even a big loss, is obviously on the table as well.

I haven’t watched a second of Wildcat basketball so I don’t know what to expect from them.

Comment

Going from playing a small team in Tarleton to the very next opponent Arizona (a big team) we will be shell-shocked at the beginning of the game. I hope IB has a few early plays up his sleeve to get a few easy baskets to start the game in order to get the guys some confidence early.
                  FINAL FOURS:
                  1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                  1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                  Number of Times Ranked: 157
                  Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                  Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                  Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                  #3 - Dec. 2017
                  #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                  #2 ~ March 2014
                  Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                    My point is I just don’t know exactly what to expect from this team other than they’re going to play hard (notwithstanding Tyson’s jog back on defense after turning it over then getting dunked on because he couldn’t be bothered to turn around and put a forearm on a guy).
                    As to your comment that we always play hard other than one play from Tyson. We usually play hard, and we have several guys that seemingly always play hard (DD, Mo, Pleasant come to mind). However, there are several times each game where we have players standing and watching, usually during rebounds, but your defensive example is good too, and I’d like to start seeing examples made of these players immediately. That shouldn’t be acceptable imo, and it shouldn’t matter who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

As to your comment that we always play hard other than one play from Tyson. We usually play hard, and we have several guys that seemingly always play hard (DD, Mo, Pleasant come to mind). However, there are several times each game where we have players standing and watching, usually during rebounds, but your defensive example is good too, and I’d like to start seeing examples made of these players immediately. That shouldn’t be acceptable imo, and it shouldn’t matter who they are.
                      I really enjoyed watching a team that worked hard. FVV, Tekele, Ron, Rashard, etc. This ain't that.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

I really enjoyed watching a team that worked hard. FVV, Tekele, Ron, Rashard, etc. This ain't that.
                        I really disagree with this. Did you watch the game last night? I feel like our guys play extremely hard. The difference between the team that you mentioned and this team is primarily BBIQ. That’s the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post

I really disagree with this. Did you watch the game last night? I feel like our guys play extremely hard. The difference between the team that you mentioned and this team is primarily BBIQ. That’s the difference.
                          I agree. Generally speaking this team has no problem playing hard. And I don't have a problem with how hard they play.

They don't execute all the time is the problem.
                          "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

https://twitter.com/TheWildcaster/st...vMM0tTapA&s=19
                              Pretty confident dude. But rightfully so at this point. Wouldn't hurt my feelings if they were a little overconfident....we could use any advantage we can get lol.
                              "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Working...
                              X