"Best of St. Louis" for Arch Madness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Best of St. Louis" for Arch Madness

Hi folks, been a few years since I've posted on here. For those of you headed over to the 'Lou, thought I'd give you some of my favorites to help you fill the time between games. I'm sure other regulars will disagree or suggest places they like as good or better but here's a start.

Best STL Custard? Ted Drewes on Chippewa. Short Drive. Lines look long but no worries as there are 7 windows, moves fast
    Best free thing to do? Budweiser Brewery Tour on South Broadway, try the Michelob Golden. You can get tix upon arrival.
    Best place to take the kids? City Museum on North 15th. Note the bus on the roof and plan to get lost in the enchanted caves.
    Best place for a steak near downtown? Tucker's Place in Soulard. $6 cab.
    Best outdoor patio near downtown? McGurk's Irish pub in Soulard.
    Best place for a beer with the guys? Johnny's in Soulard. Enjoy "Theme Fridays."
    Best Pizza near downtown? Joanie's in Soulard. Started by wife of Johnny.
    Best Family thing to do downtown? STL Arch tour. (Buy tix online in advance). Museum below better than ride up.
    Best thing worth driving to? Fast Eddie's Bon Aire in Alton, IL. Live Music Thurs-Sun. Enjoy the Big Elwood on a stick for $1.99
    Best Italian on the Hill for the $$? Cunetto's House of Pasta. You can pay more but why? Go off the menu for the Steak Modega. Cab Ride. Opens 5:30
    Best view of Downtown STL? Hilton 360 Rooftop lounge. Downtown Ballpark Hilton.
    Best Late Night hang out? Broadway Oyster Bar. Blues are tunes, food favors Creole.

I'm sure others will add some I forgot......

Hope that helps. I tried to list places anyone could go to. Enjoy our town between games. The 'Lou is a great midwest city!

Nice, 41. Extra nice.
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by Wushock41 View Post
      Hi folks, been a few years since I've posted on here. For those of you headed over to the 'Lou, thought I'd give you some of my favorites to help you fill the time between games. I'm sure other regulars will disagree or suggest places they like as good or better but here's a start.

Best STL Custard? Ted Drewes on Chippewa. Short Drive. Lines look long but no worries as there are 7 windows, moves fast
      Best free thing to do? Budweiser Brewery Tour on South Broadway, try the Michelob Golden. You can get tix upon arrival.
      Best place to take the kids? City Museum on North 15th. Note the bus on the roof and plan to get lost in the enchanted caves.
      Or if the weather is nice Forest Park and the Zoo, or Grants Farm.
      Also a place for the kids is the Magic House.
      Best place for a steak near downtown? Tucker's Place in Soulard. $6 cab.
      Best outdoor patio near downtown? McGurk's Irish pub in Soulard.
      Best place for a beer with the guys? Johnny's in Soulard. Enjoy "Theme Fridays."
      Best Pizza near downtown? Joanie's in Soulard. Started by wife of Johnny.
      Best Family thing to do downtown? STL Arch tour. (Buy tix online in advance). Museum below better than ride up.
      Best thing worth driving to? Fast Eddie's Bon Aire in Alton, IL. Live Music Thurs-Sun. Enjoy the Big Elwood on a stick for $1.99
      Fast Eddie's is ONLY for those over 21. Kids will not be allowed into Fast Eddies.
      Best Italian on the Hill for the $$? Cunetto's House of Pasta. You can pay more but why? Go off the menu for the Steak Modega. Cab Ride. Opens 5:30
      Best view of Downtown STL? Hilton 360 Rooftop lounge. Downtown Ballpark Hilton.
      Best Late Night hang out? Broadway Oyster Bar. Blues are tunes, food favors Creole.

I'm sure others will add some I forgot......

Hope that helps. I tried to list places anyone could go to. Enjoy our town between games. The 'Lou is a great midwest city!

Comment

For those who appreciate good craft beers, there is at 18th and Park south of the downtown area. Also Schlafly's which is walking distance north of Union Station at 21st and Locust. Morgan Street Brewery in Laclede's Landing is quite good too.

Trail's End brewery in St Charles is pretty good and they serve Trail's End at the Lewis and Clark Resturant in St Charles. We have always enjoyed the food at Lewis and Clark.

Comment

Gioia’s Deli is Famous for our Homemade Hot Salami. A St. Louis Institution since 1918. James Beard American Classic Award Winner. Serves St. Louis’ Sandwich, caters, delivers and ships nationwide.

Best Hot Salami sandwich you will ever have. Also on the Hill, but easily findable.

I hope to make it for lunch on Friday...and Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerRadio View Post
            http://www.gioiasdeli.com/

Best Hot Salami sandwich you will ever have. Also on the Hill, but easily findable.

I hope to make it for lunch on Friday...and Saturday.
            I'll be a little busy during lunch on Friday and Saturday...how bout b-fast ideas???

Comment

They open at 10. Brunch and plenty of time to see pre-game warmups!

Comment

Concur with the city museum for the kids. It's a definite must see. We will likely do Hodaks for great fried chicken and fitzs for a pretty good sandwich at a root beer bottling operation. Kids dig that too.

Comment

Do the paid tour at Budwieser. Its worth it.

Comment

parents lived in St. Lou for a while...loved to visit, would not live there. TED DREWES IS THE BEST!!!!!!!!!! But, if you are stymied, Fritz's Frozen Custard does not stink...and I know it's a chain, but I love me some Imo's Pizza!!!!

Comment

Two things will be the "best of STL"...1. WSU winning three in a row. 2. Seeing the Creighton fans get all pissy when they see our group wearing "Creighton Sucks" shirts.
                      It cost's $31,000 a year to be a Creighton Bluejay.....ya, for daddy's credit card.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
                        I'll be a little busy during lunch on Friday and Saturday...how bout b-fast ideas???
                        The Majestic down by the Jewish Hospital. A unique experience. Owned by two Greek brothers and the son/nephew is the cook and one of the wives is the cashier. First time eating breakfast there a little OLD lady at the next table had her breakfast and a glass of ice and a bottle of bud. She did support her town industry.

Comment

We've had breakfast at Chris' in The Hill area several times. It's packed but a great breakfast.

Comment

Charlie Gitto's Italian Restaurant (On the Hill) Great place, will have a long wait but worth it.
                            Schlafly's has two breweries / pubs that are great and each one serves a different style of food. Also the beer is better than that Belgium owned brewery in town. Plus they do tours as well which usually end in the tasting room.
                            The Schlafly Tap Room, 2100 Locust St. (at 21st)
                            Schlafly Bottleworks, 7260 Southwest Ave
                            For Pizza go to Pi Pizzeria down on The Loop, 6144 Delmar Boulevard St. Great beer selection as well. You can take the metro. Some other decent food and shopping as well. Kind of a mini "Old Town"

Comment

My first time to the MVC Tournament and I don't know Saint Louis very well. I'm going to arrive just prior to tip off on Friday. Since we'll be cutting it close, is there parking that is available close to Scott Trade Center? Our motel is close to Union Station and will probably get on the train the rest of the days but since it'll be close to 12 noon when we arrive, I was thinking that if any parking is available close by, we'd just drive downtown to the game. I'm hoping we get to see the entire game Friday.

Comment

Working...
                              X