I could give a rats azz...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I could give a rats azz...

..what we do in St. Louis. Conference tournaments mean absolutely nothing to me. The last thing I want for our team is a bunch of hard fought victories - and all the bumps, bruises, and mental fatigue that comes with them - against scrub teams that are fighting for their lives to keep their season going. I want our players fresh and healed for the tourney that matters.

Here is my starting lineup for St. Louis:

Tekele Cotton
    Evan Wessel

James Anacreon
    Jake White
    Ehimen Orukpe

I say give those boys the ball for 35 minutes of the game and grab a bucket of popcorn. In my perfect world our best Shocker squad would be used every year to try and win the conference championship and the conference tourney would be where the new guys cut their teeth. Of course this only applies when we are a lock for the NCAA's coming into the conference tournament.

T

...:cool:

I understand. HCGM probably wants to spread everybody, though. I agree that this is a far greater accomplishment, no comparison. Money is the only reason for St Louis.

Comment

Since we still have a chance at a 3-seed, these games matter. Plus, do you really want any team in the Valley to be able to say they beat us this year (or beat us again in the case of 2 teams)?

On the seeding note, on the Bracket Matrix we were the top 5 seed going into the weekend, and the five teams in front of us all lost (all the 4 seeds and one 3 seed). If we win our conference tournament and those teams lose again either in the regular season or their conference tournaments, we can still move up into a protected seed.
      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
        I understand. HCGM probably wants to spread everybody, though. I agree that this is a far greater accomplishment, no comparison. Money is the only reason for St Louis.
        The other reason for St.Louis is to give the clock-keeper lots of air time.
        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
        ---------------------------------------
        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Three more wins could result in a higher seed in the NCAA. You think maybe Marshall might want that? WSU has never won in St. Louis -- would be a nice milestone. I understand the "rest" part of what you say, but our tournament is a week earlier than the BCS tournaments. They have that week to rest up. All I would want is NO INJURIES. Stutz indicated yesterday that he had some kind of cast put on his ankle that allowed him to come back in the game and that they wouldn't really know how bad the twist was until today. Let's hope all is well with him and that Rags gets over his sinus problems (been there, done that and it's no fun).

Comment

You may not, but Toure, David, Garrett, Ben, and Joe do. They want to do something no other Shocker team has done.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
              Since we still have a chance at a 3-seed, these games matter. Plus, do you really want any team in the Valley to be able to say they beat us this year (or beat us again in the case of 2 teams)?

On the seeding note, on the Bracket Matrix we were the top 5 seed going into the weekend, and the five teams in front of us all lost (all the 4 seeds and one 3 seed). If we win our conference tournament and those teams lose again either in the regular season or their conference tournaments, we can still move up into a protected seed.
              THIS!!!

Actually, we may be the only Valley Team to never win the Lew and this needs to stop now. Losing the 1st game at the Lew could really tarnish our seeding at the Big Dance. I want us to win deep at the Dance and the better the bracket we draw, the better we might do.

Through the years, how many times have we been nudged out by teams with Senior quality leadership? Now we have our Fab 5 Seniors with a deep bench, and I like our chances to make some noise. However, playing soft at the Lew and not taking every solitary game from here very seriously, could really backfire towards the big picture. We need to seize the moment because it is not often we get such golden opportunities and we earned every bit of it!!!!!!! I say we play MTXE ball every single game and show the masses (while we have their attention for a change) what Shocker basketball is all about!!!!!!!
              Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Forgive me if I'm wrong, Cold, but your attitude seems to be a, "I'm afraid we might lose, so lets pretend like we don't care and not start our best players" booshit.

Instead, how about we just go ahead and win the whole thing? If teams ahead of us keep losing, it's not inconceivable that we get a really, really good seeding in the NCAA tournament.
                Last edited by EAGLE; February 27, 2012, 02:31 AM.
                The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

We want to win in st Lou, it only helps our seeding in the dance! How is this hard to understand, plus we get two weeks off to rest.
                  I smell Bluejay puntang and the only good Bluejay puntang is dead Bluejay puntang

Comment

MVC Trnm

Everyone who posted on this thread obviously does not understand who gets invited to the Big Dance. I didn't either until I listened to the Post game radio show yesterday. Winning the MVC Title did not get WSU an automatic bid to the Big Dance. Winning the MVC post season Tnrm is what will get them the automatic bid & the most optimum seeding. As strong as the MVC is this year, if WSU takes 2nd in the MVC trnm, they can probably still get an at large bid, but the seeding situation will then be a big question mark.

Comment

Being as we have never won the tournament I think it is a defeatist attitude to play it like a practice round for next years guys. I also think it is detrimental from a momentum stand point. We already have to wait nearly a week to play our first Valley Tournament game and then another two weeks for the first NCAA game. This would be 3 weeks between games--way too long. Keep the momentum going

Comment

Originally posted by xazshox View Post
                        Everyone who posted on this thread obviously does not understand who gets invited to the Big Dance. I didn't either until I listened to the Post game radio show yesterday. Winning the MVC Title did not get WSU an automatic bid to the Big Dance. Winning the MVC post season Tnrm is what will get them the automatic bid & the most optimum seeding. As strong as the MVC is this year, if WSU takes 2nd in the MVC trnm, they can probably still get an at large bid, but the seeding situation will then be a big question mark.
                        OMG. Not quite sure how to respond to this one. Perhaps it's best to just let it go.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                          OMG. Not quite sure how to respond to this one. Perhaps it's best to just let it go.
                          I agree with you but I will respond, we want to win as many games as we can before the big dance! Is that clear enough for everyone!
                          I smell Bluejay puntang and the only good Bluejay puntang is dead Bluejay puntang

Comment

And the comedy continues. Why do we care if the guys are rested for the NCAA Tourney? National championships are meaningless too.

In fact I think the best idea is to keep our starters off the court the remainder of the year. We've gotta keep them fresh for our first football game next year.

Comment

Originally posted by GOSHOX1 View Post
                              I agree with you but I will respond, we want to win as many games as we can before the big dance! Is that clear enough for everyone!
                              Stop making sense...stop being logical...STOP.

Comment

Working...
                              X