X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 Rules For How To Be A Shocker Fan in a Bar

I bring to you the blog, 8 Rules for how to be a Shocker fan in a bar

I'd love to hear any of your additions.
    Last edited by EB 22; February 23, 2012, 10:50 AM.
    ============

Reviewing the best establishments and restaurants in Wichita
    www.wichitabyeb.com

Lighten up, Francis. Folks are out just like you having fun. There are plenty of bars in town if you don't like the people in one particular place. Or watch at home where you can sit quietly in your Shocker gear and clap politely. Another option: drink more and become one of the obnoxious ones.

--'85.
    Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

It's a bar. What were you expecting? The likes of a golf tournament?

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85 View Post
        Lighten up, Francis. Folks are out just like you having fun. There are plenty of bars in town if you don't like the people in one particular place. Or watch at home where you can sit quietly in your Shocker gear and clap politely. Another option: drink more and become one of the obnoxious ones.

--'85.
        Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
        It's a bar. What were you expecting? The likes of a golf tournament?
        By the same token, if you guys don't like reading about people complaining or critiquing something, leave the internet, or at least message forums in particular.

There's nothing wrong with wishing for a higher class of fan.
        The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

I'm just saying, we all aren't perfect. You are definitely gonna find some scum from our fanbase and a bar is a good place to find some.

Comment

I will add "Go Shox" is for the baseball team. The basketball team is Shocks.

I can deal with KU clad fans in a bar....in my barn, not so much. The wife and daughter had to restrain me at the MSU game...I think they were more concerned with the size of the fan (minimum 6'7") and my potential health. Just wear something else...is it too much to ask?

Comment

On the same page as the original post in this thread, here's something that happened to me at one of the few games I have been able to attend this year. I have issues a lot with the seats that are behind my old season ticket assignments. They are a revolving door, so I can only guess that they are company owned. When I am back in town, I'm normally able to grab a ticket in my old season ticket spot from people I know who are still there, so it's always interesting to see what's going to happen behind me.

For the most part, the guy sitting behind me at the last game I was in town for seemed pretty knowledgeable and with it. But then Indiana State guard Steve McWhorter checked into the game.

Guy behind me (GBM): "Ahhh, man. That guy's brother used to tear us up when he played at Creighton."

Guy next to him (GNH): "Who?"

GBM: "That guy who just checked in. His brother plays in the NBA now."

Here's the kicker. Totally confusing Korver and McWhorter wasn't the worst part. The worst part is that McWhorter is black.

Now, I'm not saying that this guy should devote his life to learning the ins and outs of historic Valley team rosters. But I am saying that when you say something dumb like that, expect people within earshot to call you out.
              The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

What bar were you in?

Comment

I'm just saying, we all aren't perfect. You are definitely gonna find some scum from our fanbase and a bar is a good place to find some.
                  As I said, it's ok to be rowdy and obnoxious at times. I've been there before. It happens but for an entire duration of the game is a little ridiculous.
                  ============

Reviewing the best establishments and restaurants in Wichita
                  www.wichitabyeb.com

Comment

What do you mean by that? I met my third and fourth wives in a bar and I expect to find number six in one too.

Comment

Generally I agree with the whole "lighten up Francis" statement.

I did thoroughly enjoy this line though.

Don't make fun of the other team's student section when you're one of the 30-40 year olds that sit in the front row of the student section for our home games.
                      ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Your blog made me a bit sad. The blog was fine but the "fine cuisine (& good eatin')" polls made me miss places like Wichita Fish Company, Freddy's Frozen Custard, N&J Cafe, Bella Luna, Bardn'rds and even Spangles; these places don't exist out here. Of course, every city and town has some overpriced "fancy" restaurants which vary from (barely) edible to really good. I love the old standbys. I'm looking forward to returning to Wichita.
                        Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                        Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Nice to lay some ground work. I agree with most of the 8 rules, just don't make us look like Ohio State fans.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                            What do you mean by that? I met my third and fourth wives in a bar and I expect to find number six in one too.
                            Is that a typo? - I thought you met number 4 "BEHIND bars".

Or, was it "Behind a bar?" I'm so confused . . .
                            If you take the high road, you won't find much traffic there . . .

Comment

I own at least 9 Shocker shirts. I wear the "Conference Champions" shirts until I get the next "Conference Champions" shirts. Want me to wear more current shirts? Win the conference more often. I have 2 of the 2006 shirts that will now be retired and one that will remain unworn with the tag still attached.

"Fear The Wheat" is my favorite non-Champion shirt.

"I Am Shocked" is next.

This year's "Bad to the Bone" with skeletons seemed like a good idea with the timing of Shocker Madness near Halloween.
                              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
                              X