Xavier McDaniel (1981-85) Shocker Sports Hall of Famer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jcdshocker View Post

Dreiling was part of this team. He came in as a freshman with X and Aubrey.
    But cliff had left the year prior.

Comment

Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

But cliff had left the year prior.
      Nope. Cliff left after 81-82 season.

78-65

Comment

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
        Boy, I wish I could have seen him play.

My favorite kind of player; Toughness + High Motor
        Toughness and motor like no other. He was always the alpha on the court. A couple things that I think of related to his rebounding were 1) he could really jump, but his second jump was muuuch quicker and higher than others. Also 2) he could see trajectory, angle, etc and just did a better job anticipating where rebounds were likely to be had. My recollection is one coach in the Valley claimed his stats were being padded and X took it upon himself to thoroughly dominate when they can to town. Think it may have been Benoit Benjamin’s team but I can’t remember what I ate yesterday so may be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Teddy Graham View Post

Toughness and motor like no other. He was always the alpha on the court. A couple things that I think of related to his rebounding were 1) he could really jump, but his second jump was muuuch quicker and higher than others. Also 2) he could see trajectory, angle, etc and just did a better job anticipating where rebounds were likely to be had. My recollection is one coach in the Valley claimed his stats were being padded and X took it upon himself to thoroughly dominate when they can to town. Think it may have been Benoit Benjamin’s team but I can’t remember what I ate yesterday so may be wrong.
          I think you're recalling Bradley's Dick Versace.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

That does sound right now that you mention his name.

Comment

Incredible name.
              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

The Valley was a blast to follow in the 80's. I'd never want to go back now.

Comment

Mike Kennedy does a great recitation of that story.

78-65

Comment

I thought it was Nolan Richardson. Very possible it is just my dislike for Tulsa clouding my vision though.
                    Go Shocks!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerDropOut View Post

I thought it was Nolan Richardson. Very possible it is just my dislike for Tulsa clouding my vision though.
                      It was Versace.

1980s: Four letters that ignited a city | The Wichita Eagle

https://www.kansas.com › sports › college › wichita-state › article1136207.html

Xavier McDaniel's 43-point, 20-rebound performance in 1985 that showed Bradley coach Dick Versace his stats weren't padded?

Comment

Originally posted by Teddy Graham View Post

Bradley's coach.

The game was in Peoria so Versace was probably looking for some kind of home cookin'. If memory serves X had 15 (or was it 18?) boards... In The First Half!

Comment

I thought Versace was a fashion designer.

Comment

I remember Nolan Richardson had a seven foot center at Tulsa who complained that X-man cheated to get alot of his rebounds, X's response was a classic "ALL I KNOW IS THAT IF I WAS SEVEN FOOT I WOULD GET ALL THE REBOUNDS" !!!! I loved it !

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

X was worth the price of admission. Still my all-time favorite Shocker… he was a once in two life times player. Several NBA YouTube videos on line; worth a look. He was an intimidating son of a gun.
                              Dude owned the court. He was a beast on the BB floor.

Comment

I went to school with X and had some mutual friends. I liked him personally even though he scared me, although he had a sense of humor. However, he was hell on his teammates if they weren’t putting out the effort he expected. His intensity and competitiveness were unmatched until FVV came along.

Comment

Working...
                                X