Ron Baker (2012-16) "Future" Shocker Sports Hall of Famer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ron Baker (2012-16) "Future" Shocker Sports Hall of Famer

Former New York Knicks Guard Retires from NBA at Age 28 to Pursue Business - Essentially Sports

Published 08/25/2021, 10:52 AM CDT

"Any aspiring athlete who works towards becoming a professional basketball player wants to play as long as his body allows him. There are NBA players who have played through their 30s and 40s, keeping themselves in shape. Take LeBron James also, for example, but some aren’t as lucky. Former Knicks and CSKA guard Ron Baker has retired from his dream job at just 28 years of age but is also starting a new venture in which he will keep himself busy....

What is former Knicks player’s new business?

It was back in May 2021 that Baker announced his retirement on the TBT Podcast. He explained that even though his hip surgeries were successful; he had made the decision to start a new chapter in his life instead, which will be entering the world of business.

As per Basket news, “His next job is as a project manager in Ascension Via Christi’s strategy and business development department, a role he says combines several passions — health care, business, and the desire to impact his community. He begins on August 30.”

Baker also shared his thoughts on the big move. He said, “I love basketball and what it’s done for me, it’s given me a lot of connections in that world… I reached my dream at age 23, and some people don’t do that. I felt like I did the best I could for 27 years in that profession, so I can live with that and I can move on knowing that I did my best and made those that sacrificed for me, like my parents, proud.”

Baker’s basketball career may have died, but his ambitions have clearly not. While he could be sitting home and enjoying the retired man’s game, golf, he is going to continue to find more success elsewhere."

Best of luck to him. I have no doubt that he will be extremely successful and enriched (not just monetarily) in whatever he decides to do.

Comment

I have no doubt he will achieve beyond expectations in business like he did in basketball.

From some of his job description, I believe he will be given every opportunity to support WSU sports as part of his job. That could include on-campus trips when recruits are at WSU. Baker's story from lightly recruited to a multi-million $$ NBA contract is going to be a great selling point for recruits who realize they are borderline NBA, but actually are on the outside looking in. Won't do a thing for the TP types who are convinced they're a lock for the NBA regardless of the fact that they're not in the top 100 of their graduating class.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
        Former New York Knicks Guard Retires from NBA at Age 28 to Pursue Business - Essentially Sports

Published 08/25/2021, 10:52 AM CDT

"Any aspiring athlete who works towards becoming a professional basketball player wants to play as long as his body allows him. There are NBA players who have played through their 30s and 40s, keeping themselves in shape. Take LeBron James also, for example, but some aren’t as lucky. Former Knicks and CSKA guard Ron Baker has retired from his dream job at just 28 years of age but is also starting a new venture in which he will keep himself busy....

What is former Knicks player’s new business?

It was back in May 2021 that Baker announced his retirement on the TBT Podcast. He explained that even though his hip surgeries were successful; he had made the decision to start a new chapter in his life instead, which will be entering the world of business.

As per Basket news, “His next job is as a project manager in Ascension Via Christi’s strategy and business development department, a role he says combines several passions — health care, business, and the desire to impact his community. He begins on August 30.”

Baker also shared his thoughts on the big move. He said, “I love basketball and what it’s done for me, it’s given me a lot of connections in that world… I reached my dream at age 23, and some people don’t do that. I felt like I did the best I could for 27 years in that profession, so I can live with that and I can move on knowing that I did my best and made those that sacrificed for me, like my parents, proud.”

Baker’s basketball career may have died, but his ambitions have clearly not. While he could be sitting home and enjoying the retired man’s game, golf, he is going to continue to find more success elsewhere."
        The article indicates that he was a failure. I wish I had a career with a 9 million dollar “failure” salary.

Comment

Lets be honest...take the dollars out, his NBA career was at best a failure.

Comment

Originally posted by Horn28Clem30 View Post
            He played 3 seasons in the NBA after going undrafted. But yeah, sure, it was a total failure.

"In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by Horn28Clem30 View Post
              I would take a career failure like Ron's 12 times out of 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I would take a career failure like Ron's 12 times out of 10.
                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                  Best of luck to him. I have no doubt that he will be extremely successful and enriched (not just monetarily) in whatever he decides to do.
                  I always hoped Ron and Evan would establish a successful enterprise/partnership in Wichita. Maybe they still will if Wessel ever gives up his scholarship.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post

I always hoped Ron and Evan would establish a successful enterprise/partnership in Wichita. Maybe they still will if Wessel ever gives up his scholarship.
                    Funny!

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post

They should buy spangles
                      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Ron’s NBA career is probably about average for all guys that reach the NBA. His career earnings are really good considering how short his career was.

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post

They should buy spangles
                          MMMMMMMmmmmmmmudslide....

Comment

Working...
                          X