What Do You Guys Think of This....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Do You Guys Think of This....

Temple is reportedly leaving the A10 for the Big East. There is some speculation that this move could cause UMass to also leave, but for CUSA/MWC/whatever they are calling that combined mess (UMass and Temple are MAC schools for FB currently and our both making moves for their FB programs).

Personally, I've got some real concerns about the financial stability of most of the football schools in the MVC. SIU is so broke they can't fire Lowery, UNI threatens dropping to D2 or worse if the state of Iowa cuts their funding any further, MSU is liquidating assets to pay bills, Indy St loses head coaches because they can get better pay as BCS assistants, etc.

What about the A10 as an opportunity. I'm think about Creighton and WSU, perhaps even including a Bradley and Drake to assist us with travel for Olympic sports (I'd want to stay away from the FB schools because they will always either have $ problems or be looking to move up to a BCS conference), making a move. With the A10's stable of teams, plus CU, WSU, BU and Drake or somebody else, we'd have a sustainable, premier basketball conference with some decent media markets and no football entanglements.

Travel costs would probably be a bit of a concern for the olympic sports, so breaking the conference into Eastern/Western divisions like some of the BCS conferences do may be necessary.

The biggest concern would be keeping the schools like Xavier, Dayton, etc. from bolting if the Big East breaks up. Since football drives the money bus, I think that an explosion of the BIg East isn't really as likely as it once seemed.

Thoughts?

Definitely worth considering.

On a ESPN chat today, someone ask about a conference with Xavier, Dayton, Creighton, Wichita State, St. Louis and maybe Butler.

Comment

Sounds interesting. A WSU, CU, BU, DU, Dayton, SLU, Xavier, and one additional team for the western division.

Charlotte, Fordham, GW, RI, Richmond, St. Bonaventure, Duquesne, and St. Joe for the east.

Xavier and Dayton aren't really that much further than Indiana State is now. Not sure who the 8th team would be in the west. One hitch I see immediately, however, is that the western division looks a little lopsided in terms of the calibre of teams.
      The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
        Definitely worth considering.

On a ESPN chat today, someone ask about a conference with Xavier, Dayton, Creighton, Wichita State, St. Louis and maybe Butler.
        This would be a killer conference.
        “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Drake

Comment

Change is coming...sooner than later.

This is a golden opportunity for midwestern basketball schools to secure their future involvement in high-level hoops. Individually, schools like Wichita State, Creighton, Butler, Xavier and Dayton are all strong at the moment. However, it's VERY easy for the media to marginalize them because all of them are members of conferences where 75% of the teams are broke, poorly-attended dung heaps like Evansville, Fordham, and Youngstown State.

On the other hand, if the top 9 or 10 basketball schools with resources and support band together, they can ensure that each of them is a part of a perennial 3 or 4 bid league each year with some serious media exposure. Very similar idea to what the Big East did 30+ years ago.

I think this situation is entirely possible. I just hope we're part of the gravy-train.

Comment

Oh Good another thread about changing conference. I Love the Valley. Leave it alone.

Comment

Originally posted by dwbarcl View Post
                Oh Good another thread about changing conference. I Love the Valley. Leave it alone.
                If the a-10 is changing, it will affect the valley. This is something that will plague college sports for a while longer.

Comment

And as DJA mentions, we have several schools that are suffering financially.

Comment

Please get out of this flop calling league now!

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised to see a brand new "major" basketball only conference that cherry picks major programs stuck in mid-major conferences. Butler, WSU, CU, GMU, Xavier, and some of the others that have also already been mentioned would make one hell of a conference.
                      "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Unfortunately if we don't explore our options we may miss out on a great opportunity. I can appreciate your loyalty to the Valley but we need to do what's best for our program. Economically it may not make sense to stay in the conference.
                        Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

I sympathize with this, but unfortunately it was this exact thinking that is the reason why we are not in the Big-12 right now, and K-State is.
                          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Historically, I have not been in favor of leaving the Valley, but this proposed league is the best proposal I have heard yet. I like it.
                            Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Remember the Metro? An outstanding basketball league including Louisville, Cincy, Memphis -- hmm: all former MVC teams -- and others who decided to form a basketball powerhouse made up of teams in larger TV markets, a league that was ultimately undone by the pursuit of football dollars?

Maybe it's about time for Son of Metro. Xavier, Dayton, Creighton, Wichita State, St. Louis, and Butler would be a good start; Oral Roberts would be a solid addition as well if it wanted to upgrade, and the Horizon could be a good place to look for another prospect or two.

Comment

Working...
                              X