Matt McFarlane is leaving the program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Why is it hard to take comments at face value and not move them to extremes because they don't line up exactly with yours?
    “If you read his Tweets/videos from yesterday, you'd think we were national title contenders.”

This comment wasn’t taken to the extreme at all.

Comment

I liked Paul, and I think that Taylor has taken it analytically to the next level. He raises questions, and he shouldn't have to be a constant critic to be accepted as a thorough sports writer. Bob has always taken pride in saying that he is TOTALLY objective, but instead, he is uaually an "ASS". To be respected, Taylor shouldn't have to take it to that level. I just like to see Taylor reporting on what is going on within the program, and he does that.

From the video's I've seen on summer pick up games, it doesn't appear to me that our guys are playing as hard as they used to, but I've never had video to compare it to. I just know Fred's personality, and what has ben periodically reported, and it doesn't match up, therefore my opinion. I like seeing video of summer basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
        From the video's I've seen on summer pick up games, it doesn't appear to me that our guys are playing as hard as they used to, but I've never had video to compare it to. I just know Fred's personality, and what has ben periodically reported, and it doesn't match up, therefore my opinion. I like seeing video of summer basketball.
        That’s an interesting point and I agree that the defense in a lot of the videos is lacking (which Taylor pointed out in at least one of his tweets).

My initial reaction was to say that’s just summer basketball. I’ve personally experienced the lackadaisical play of high schoolers during summer pick up runs and I’ve seen videos of the best NBA guys doing the same. I’m inclined to believe that’s the way it’s always been by and large but I have no actual evidence that’s the case. It’s also possible that some games are more intense than others and we just don’t see them all. I would also imagine that organized practice scrimmages are much different than these videos.

I also agree that one person can change the dynamic of a pick up game or practice, especially if they’re considered a leader.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

That’s an interesting point and I agree that the defense in a lot of the videos is lacking (which Taylor pointed out in at least one of his tweets).

My initial reaction was to say that’s just summer basketball. I’ve personally experienced the lackadaisical play of high schoolers during summer pick up runs and I’ve seen videos of the best NBA guys doing the same. I’m inclined to believe that’s the way it’s always been by and large but I have no actual evidence that’s the case. It’s also possible that some games are more intense than others and we just don’t see them all. I would also imagine that organized practice scrimmages are much different than these videos.

I also agree that one person can change the dynamic of a pick up game or practice, especially if they’re considered a leader.
          I remember hearing that summer practices were often "warlike", and demanding. That the practice habits that GM required of his players went over into the summer, and Fred and Ron had personalities that demanded it. What I had heard about, hasn't been in the video's shown this summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I remember hearing that summer practices were often "warlike", and demanding. That the practice habits that GM required of his players went over into the summer, and Fred and Ron had personalities that demanded it. What I had heard about, hasn't been in the video's shown this summer.
            They looked forward to games because they were easier than practices.
            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

We also began the year with important players with injuries multiple years in a row from injuries they received during summer runs.

Comment

After giving this situation some time for consideration, I'm fairly comfortable with Pohto as the backup for Mo. Pohto is likely to be more like Midtgaard than Orukpe getting up and down the court. He's got the size to hang with some banging on D. 240 is a little light for 6'11", but that's still some bulk to move. Stutz didn't have that kind of size, as I recall, until well into his college career.

Pohto isn't a traditional back-to-the basket post. He's got some skills there, but that's not his strength. His strength is shooting 3's setting screens, and boxing out. When the 6'11" guy setting the screen can roll out to the 3-point line and hit from there, the guard using the screen doesn't have the other team's 6'10" guy following him to the hoop.

Everybody seems to like Pohto's footwork on D. That's something that usually takes time for bigs to develop. Pohto's strengths seem to be those that bigs usually need to develop to be effective. His different style of playing as a post may be something that transfers to D1 better than guys who rely on their inside game.

Imagine Pohto sitting out on the 3-point line with Council, Jackson, Grant, and Etienne in there with the other team's rim protector covering Pohto 20' from the basket. That's second unit this year. I'm assuming Etienne gets lots of minutes.

Comment

Working...
                X