Matt McFarlane is leaving the program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dan View Post
    I’ll spell it right before he starts playing, unlike many people on here that still can’t spell Toure Murry
    Lol.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

If he plays, he has to be able to guard either a 5. I hope he’s physical enough, and more effective than Josephat, because we don’t have very good additional options. Josephat was awful.
      No hate to either of the centers we lost for the upcoming season. I wish them all the best and hope they find success at their new programs. But, if one of the 2021 freshmen can stay healthy and learn where to stand on defense we are probably already better at the 5 than we were last year, in regards to a backup for Mo.

Comment

Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post
        "Personal reasons" and "take care of family" are sometimes legitimate and sometimes not.

McFarlane seemed to be more raw than posters were expecting and "cheerleader" Eldridge didn't give him coverage. Is it possible Photo was going to beat him out for Udeze's backup?

My first thought was that this makes room for Ziegler. Perhaps a PG is a higher priority than a post?
        I’m tired of people dogging TE. The guy pours his heart into what he does and provides great content across all platforms. He tips us off early, which adds a lot of fun to this board. While he might be very positive, an astute observer can read between the lines when necessary.

If he was constantly blowing up college kids for their flaws publicly, it would be a real bad look and provide no value to the community, university or the athletes.

We are truly lucky to have a reporter with the talent and passion that TE has for our local sports scene.

Comment

Originally posted by Regul8te View Post

I’m tired of people dogging TE. The guy pours his heart into what he does and provides great content across all platforms. He tips us off early, which adds a lot of fun to this board. While he might be very positive, an astute observer can read between the lines when necessary.

If he was constantly blowing up college kids for their flaws publicly, it would be a real bad look and provide no value to the community, university or the athletes.

We are truly lucky to have a reporter with the talent and passion that TE has for our local sports scene.
          I was not dogging Eldridge. I put quotes around "cheerleader", which indicates I'm quoting others rather than expressing my own opinion.

Comment

I graduated from Wichita State……you can’t expect me to know what those quotes meant. In that case please direct my vitriol to the original “cheerleader” poster!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Regul8te View Post
              I graduated from Wichita State……you can’t expect me to know what those quotes meant. In that case please direct my vitriol to the original “cheerleader” poster!!!
              It's pretty new around here for people to complain about TE. I hope it is a trend that doesn't stick around. Some have found him to be too positive. I love his analysis and attention to detail.

Comment

Name one other beat writer who has gone into as much detail as Taylor has as often as Taylor does. The dude does nothing but seek out stories about Wichita State basketball. And in all of his other time he does everything else. This guy is the best thing to happen to Wichita state basketball media ever. People who are complaining about him need to go find papers from the 90s.
                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

I'm not sure I've seen anyone actually complain about Taylor. The only comments I can recall is that you have to take some of this comments with a grain of salt because he's almost exclusively positive about everything and that it might be refreshing if we had someone in the media, any form, who had a bit more grounded approach that would give positive and negative observations. You can do that without coming across as overly critical but it can/does give fans a more accurate view of what they may expect.

Taylor needs to be Taylor. Though I do wish we had someone else, be they independent or with some other form of media, that offered a bit of a balance to his approach. I've seen some online media guys for other entities that are still mostly positive, because they're fans, but are still able to give fair assessments both good and bad about teams and players. There would be absolutely nothing wrong with that either.

There are certain posters who took those minor comments about Taylor always being positive so you have to take that into account on some of his reporting to an extreme, like happens way too often, and keep beating everyone else over the head with it with comments that aren't nearly as creative as they think they are.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

The idea that Taylor is 100% positive is false. Saying so makes me question whether or not you actually read his articles or listen to Talk Angry.

Just because his objectivity doesn’t present itself in Stephen A Smith or Shockernet edge lord form doesn’t mean it’s nonexistent.

Comment

This is part of Taylor’s newest article on Kenny. Wow, such unabashed optimism.

”But relying on a true freshman to play meaningful minutes right away at the center position against American Athletic Conference competition can be a risky proposition. It will likely take time for Pohto to adjust to the speed of the game, as well as the caliber of athletes and physicality he will face on a game-by-game basis.”

Comment

Taylor is the best writer we've ever had. Perhaps he is a cheerleader, but he's not a homer

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                          The idea that Taylor is 100% positive is false. Saying so makes me question whether or not you actually read his articles or listen to Talk Angry.

Just because his objectivity doesn’t present itself in Stephen A Smith or Shockernet edge lord form doesn’t mean it’s nonexistent.
                          Point proven.

Nobody has said he's 100% positive. Nobody has asked for a Stephen A approach.

Why is it hard to take comments at face value and not move them to extremes because they don't line up exactly with yours?
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                            This is part of Taylor’s newest article on Kenny. Wow, such unabashed optimism.

”But relying on a true freshman to play meaningful minutes right away at the center position against American Athletic Conference competition can be a risky proposition. It will likely take time for Pohto to adjust to the speed of the game, as well as the caliber of athletes and physicality he will face on a game-by-game basis.”

Young bigs always seem to have foul trouble on the defensive end early in their career. Hopefully he figures it out, being Mo's #1 backup. If KP can consistently make threes, and open up the lane, the thought of the abuse RCIV will put the rim through makes my nipples hard! (Ok, TMI)

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Point proven.

Nobody has said he's 100% positive. Nobody has asked for a Stephen A approach.

Why is it hard to take comments at face value and not move them to extremes because they don't line up exactly with yours?
                              Oh, sorry. “Almost exclusively”. Let me rephrase my original post to 99% instead of 100% to account for the “almost”.

Comment

Yada yada yada. I wish McFarland had stayed, but it is not the end of the world. The Baylor Bears just won a national championship and tore up alot of good teams along the way. The had 1 starter listed at 6 10. Everybody else was under 6 5 and could shoot and go and get their own shot. They played ELITE DEFENSE TOO. Granted Vital was one tough SOB but he was still only 6 5. He reminded me of Claudis Johnson at WSU. They had 2 big men coming off the bench. One was 6 8 and the other 6 9. Every one else coming off the bench was under 6 3. Height is overrated. Ramon Clemente was barely 6 6 and they could not keep him off the boards. X was 6 6. The Shocks just need to find some mental and physical toughness on defense and rebounding. I think our offense has improved from what I have seen in videos. Thus I am waiting to see what Coach IB does with this squad. Go Shocks.

Comment

Working...
                                X