Matt McFarlane is leaving the program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

My eyes have seen videos of him that tells me he is best suited at the 4 spot with the 3 being his second position of strength. Can he fill in at the 5? Absolutely but it is not his natural position. There are coaches who agree as well.

Also, there is this:

https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...251166754.html

If the coaches say he is best at the 4 then I assume they are correct. I'll believe the small forward part when I see it. He has 30 pounds on anyone I have seen play a lot of 3 for us.

I don't read Taylor's quote as saying he isn't a 5 man. I read it as saying he isn't ONLY a 5 man since he isn't a slow and lumbering center and has the skills and range to play the 4 as well. But if you have something directly from the coaches that i don't have access to then obviously I have less to go on.

Comment

Defensively, I'm sure he'll be called upon to guard the five. But I'm sure IB can figure out an offense to utilize him at the four if need be. Would be damn interesting!

Comment

My eyes have seen videos of him that tells me he is best suited at the 4 spot with the 3 being his second position of strength. Can he fill in at the 5? Absolutely but it is not his natural position. There are coaches who agree as well.

Also, there is this:

https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...251166754.html

Sorry, MKR but your interpretation of what the Sunrise Coach is saying is a little off imo. It doesn't say, imo, that he is 4 that can play the 3. He was on the perimeter at Sunrise because, (I'm interpreting what the Sunrise Coach is saying here a little).

1) KP can shoot it from outside, and therefore drag a rim protecting Center away from defending the basket, and
        2} because the Sunrise offense was built around uber athletic drive it to the rim, 2's, 3's, and 4's, so by taking a rim protector away from the basket, opens up their offense.

It also says that he is quick enough laterally to guard multiple positions. From the video I saw of him in Sweden, it also provides proof that he has back to the basket moves, so he can do a little of what Mo is strongest at, but also can shoot it from 3, which has been a weakness for Mo.

Comment

Gee, where have we seen centers playing on the perimeter? Oh, yeah, in the AAC. If a center on the perimeter can hit 3's, then the other team's center has to be on the perimeter, too. That opens up the driving lanes for the perimeter guys and eliminates the rim protector if they get to the basket.

Spread the floor for layup drills and kick out for a 3 if a secondary defender shows up seems to be how D1 ball is played any more. People are too hung up on centers being required to post up down low. That actually clogs the lane and minimizes the ability of the perimeter guys to get to the basket.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerLurker View Post
            Not worried. Pohto has D1 size already and I still haven't seen anyone say where they got the idea he will be best as a 4. Dude was listed as 6'11 240 with months ahead in the weight room. I recall seeing him referred to as a high iq player somewhere, so hopefully he catches on fast to defensive positioning.

predicted minutes at the 5:
            Udeze 22
            Pohto 8
            Pleasant 5 (mostly during injuries and foul trouble)
            Abidde 5
            Wasn't last year Mo and company? Mo played almost 24 mpg with the rest going the IPBC, Seymour, and Bilau. I think I'd take @ ShockLurker 's lineup at the 5 all day long. Of course, the biggest problem was/is someone who could take on 20-25 mpg if needed.

Have to wonder if McFarlane's leaving had to do with adding Abidde or if Abidde was added because HCIB "had a feeling" about McFarlane.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Sorry, MKR but your interpretation of what the Sunrise Coach is saying is a little off imo. It doesn't say, imo, that he is 4 that can play the 3. He was on the perimeter at Sunrise because, (I'm interpreting what the Sunrise Coach is saying here a little).

1) KP can shoot it from outside, and therefore drag a rim protecting Center away from defending the basket, and
              2} because the Sunrise offense was built around uber athletic drive it to the rim, 2's, 3's, and 4's, so by taking a rim protector away from the basket, opens up their offense.

It also says that he is quick enough laterally to guard multiple positions. From the video I saw of him in Sweden, it also provides proof that he has back to the basket moves, so he can do a little of what Mo is strongest at, but also can shoot it from 3, which has been a weakness for Mo.
              I didn't interpret anything. It's literally word for word what the coach and the article said.

Look, I am not saying he can't or won't play the 5. I think he most certainly can and will. I am just saying it is not his primary position, and people who coach and know are saying the same thing.

Comment

I didn't interpret anything. It's literally word for word what the coach and the article said.

Look, I am not saying he can't or won't play the 5. I think he most certainly can and will. I am just saying it is not his primary position, and people who coach and know are saying the same thing.
                We disagree and will see who is right. I think he’s a 5 who can stretch the floor for the reasons I stated. When he played for Sunrise, no defender was in the middle because they were trying to guard him outside. It left the driving lanes wide open for Clements, the 6’10,230 lb. 4 (Top 50)who signed with KU, and other players. Kenny was definitely playing the 5 but not close to the basket.

Comment

I wish McFarlane would be here because he filled a rebounding and shot blocking need. There is no doubt in my mind that Isaac Abedde signee is connected to MM’s departure. We could do worse than having. 6’9” Big Man come last minute.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

We disagree and will see who is right. I think he’s a 5 who can stretch the floor for the reasons I stated. When he played for Sunrise, no defender was in the middle because they were trying to guard him outside. It left the driving lanes wide open for Clements, the 6’10,230 lb. 4 (Top 50)who signed with KU, and other players. Kenny was definitely playing the 5 but not close to the basket.
                    What you’re saying makes far more sense. I think people get too hung up on the 1-5 positional designations but that’s another discussion.

I agree that even if Pohto had zero back to the basket ability, which I don’t think is true, that doesn’t mean he’s not a “5”. Mo does most of his work under the basket and we have people say he’s not a 5.

Pohto is 6’10-6’11. If he can guard multiple positions, rebound and has some skill on offense then he can fit in wherever we need him which, with the departure of McFarland, sounds like it will largely be as Mo’s back up.

Comment

Potoh’s position will be more determined on who he can guard than on where he can shoot the ball from

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                        Potoh’s position will be more determined on who he can guard than on where he can shoot the ball from
                        If he plays, he has to be able to guard either a 5. I hope he’s physical enough, and more effective than Josephat, because we don’t have very good additional options. Josephat was awful.

Comment

Spell it with me-

P-O-H-T-O
                          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
                            Spell it with me-

P-O-H-T-O
                            Photo is what my phone thinks it is

Comment

I’ll spell it right before he starts playing, unlike many people on here that still can’t spell Toure Murry

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Photo is what my phone thinks it is
                                Almost as bad as Turray Murray
                                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
                                X