No announcement yet.

Matt McFarlane is leaving the program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe Isaac can surprise? We need the fouls.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post
      Maybe Isaac can surprise? We need the fouls.
      What’s better than a raw freshman center?

Two raw freshman centers!
      Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post
        "Personal reasons" and "take care of family" are sometimes legitimate and sometimes not.

McFarlane seemed to be more raw than posters were expecting and "cheerleader" Eldridge didn't give him coverage. Is it possible Photo was going to beat him out for Udeze's backup?

My first thought was that this makes room for Ziegler. Perhaps a PG is a higher priority than a post?
        'cheerleader Eldridge'? come on...you can do better than that....

Comment

One of our freshmen bigs are gonna get some minutes this year,

Comment

Kenny Pohto looks like a nice piece for the Shocks. Excited to see him play a larger role this season.

Comment

So much gloom for a guy who was always only described as "raw" with only backup potential.

Comment

Originally posted by shocker43 View Post
                So much gloom for a guy who was always only described as "raw" with only backup potential.
                I wouldn't say gloom, but he was an older guy with potential to give Mo some breathing time. He was going to bring in some shot blocking and rebounding. We lost some depth at the 5 that we were kinda counting on.

Comment

We're going to have to get by with a 6'11" backup center who's known for boxing out, setting screens, and hitting a good percentage from 3. We're doomed.

Comment

I am going to give him the benefit of a doubt on the "personal reasons." Most guys who's first concern is landing somewhere else, make the announcement stating that they are entering the transfer portal.

Comment

Can't we just buy Joe Pleasant some of these?

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Shockadaisical View Post
                        I am going to give him the benefit of a doubt on the "personal reasons." Most guys who's first concern is landing somewhere else, make the announcement stating that they are entering the transfer portal.
                        I will, too. But isn't there a timing constraint on declaring to transfer?

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Well that wouldn't be good
                          He's having trouble adjusting to Div I terminology? What does that even mean? Is there a different basketball vocabulary in D I?

Comment

Not worried. Pohto has D1 size already and I still haven't seen anyone say where they got the idea he will be best as a 4. Dude was listed as 6'11 240 with months ahead in the weight room. I recall seeing him referred to as a high iq player somewhere, so hopefully he catches on fast to defensive positioning.

predicted minutes at the 5:
                            Udeze 22
                            Pohto 8
                            Pleasant 5 (mostly during injuries and foul trouble)
                            Abidde 5

Comment

Sounds like he was not a "quick study"

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerLurker View Post

What are you basing that on? Was that said somewhere or is it an observation? I had thought of him as a stretch 5 and thought he might lack the quickness to guard smaller forwards.
                                My eyes have seen videos of him that tells me he is best suited at the 4 spot with the 3 being his second position of strength. Can he fill in at the 5? Absolutely but it is not his natural position. There are coaches who agree as well.

Also, there is this:

https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...251166754.html

While Pohto is 6-11 and 240 pounds, he is far from a lumbering center. While he could certainly play minutes at the five spot behind returning starter Morris Udeze and junior-college transfer Matthew McFarlane, Pohto has the athleticism and skill set to play alongside them as well at the power forward position and compete for minutes with returner Clarence Jackson and junior transfer Joe Pleasant.
                                “Kenny is a very skilled and strong 6-foot-11 kid that’s extremely versatile on both sides of the ball,” Barnwell told The Eagle. “For us, he played more on the perimeter and shot threes and opened up the lane for us. He could really pass and was a very good screener. And then defensively, he can guard multiple positions and at times we could switch him onto point guards because he moves laterally so well.

Comment

Working...
                                X