I'm Officially Sick of Being 'This Year's VCU'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Officially Sick of Being 'This Year's VCU'

Ok, all media pundits, you are on record as having predicted Wichita State going deep in the tournament if they do. Your bases are covered.

Thank You
    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

We are not this year's VCU, not until we have made it to the Final Four. Hell, no one looked at VCU until they made the Sweet 16. Prior to that, VCU was just lucky to be there. This team still has a lot to do before they can start comparing us to Butler, VCU and GMU.

Comment

plus VCU had to play in the tourney as a 12 seed, we will prolly get a top 5 seed.
      Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

I have witnessed a lot of crazy topics the last few days.

I'm just glad they will be in the NCAA this year. A win in the tournament would be really nice. Even that one win will be hard to come by though.

Comment

My main point is that I'm sick of hearing WSU and VCU in the same sentence every time we are mentioned. We are a freaking top 20 team! We aren't going to sneak up on anyone. Hell, if we make the sweet 16, I don't think that would even be classified as a cinderella...
          "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Are you kidding? VCU was one badass team last year, I'll take being compared to them all day long.
            THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE

You can call me Bill

Comment

Originally posted by William View Post
              Are you kidding? VCU was one badass team last year, I'll take being compared to them all day long.
              Like most of the posts you make on here, the point obviously flew over your head again.

Let me guess. They're badass because they took down KU, right?
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Okay, then, Prez -- how about this year's Butler?

For what it's worth, ESPN's Jason King predicts WSU reaching the round of eight before losing, and says he thinks they're actually better (!) than either VCU or Butler was last year. Obviously pairings, matchups, and the luck of a given day will have an impact on how the Shocks fare, but at least some won't be surprised no matter how far they go.

Well, maybe if they win it all -- so let's try it and see how people react. What the hell -- if Akron, college soccer's answer to Butler, could win that championship, why not? I'm picturing a pre-game pep talk from Mike Jones, and then one last game-winning three from Murry to cap an outstanding Shocker career that started with a run of them.

Comment

VCU was an 11-seed, not a 12.

I do think comparing you guys to VCU is not really accurate. You guys have had a much better regular season and aren't sneaking up on anyone. Most people didn't even have VCU in the field of 68.

Comment

I will be thrilled if we can get one more win to clinch the Valley title outright and then reach the championship game of the tourney. We do both of those things and anything beyond that is gravy to me. Of course I'll be ecstatic if we win the conference tourney and a couple games in the NCAAs but trying to temper my expectations.

Comment

So you're just happy to get to the NCAAs? Seriously? Did I read that correctly? :banghead:
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                        So you're just happy to get to the NCAAs? Seriously? Did I read that correctly? :banghead:
                        I'm afraid you missed on the interpretation there, Sub.

I read it as more of a "one step at a time" thing - and enjoy each step along the way.
                        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

The point he is trying to make, and one that I agree with, is that WSU is ranked 19th in the country and projected at a 4-5 seed. VCU only made it in the tournament because they beat WSU in the bracketbusters, had to play a play-in game, and was a 12 seed. They are two totally different stories, yet the media sees WSU has this mid-major team that might go deep, and they go "oh, like VCU. Let's just say they'll be the next VCU." WSU is more like a SDSU team last year, than they are a VCU.
                          ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

I was replying to Dan (the comment above my post), not the OP. I get what the OP is saying. We're nothing like VCU last year. We're closer to what Butler was.
                            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Last year, VCU was "this year's Butler".

Comment

Working...
                              X