Home and Home Games in Iowa Coming to an End

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home and Home Games in Iowa Coming to an End

Looks like Iowa and Iowa State have had enough of playing games at Drake and at Northern Iowa. However, at least they seem to be willing to play them in a "Iowa Big Four" event in Des Moines' Wells Fargo Arena.

So Drake and UNI will each lose a D-1 game that will be replaced with...............?

Some kind of an event like this is probably our only shot of getting KU and KSU on our schedule although I'm not holding my breath.

Nevertheless maybe we could joint forces with Creighton and/or Missouri State or perhaps even Missouri to but some kind of four team Saturday event together rotating between the Sprint Center and IBA where we would get a game with KU or KSU every year.

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    Nevertheless maybe we could joint forces with Creighton and/or Missouri State or perhaps even Missouri to but some kind of four team Saturday event together rotating between the Sprint Center and IBA where we would get a game with KU or KSU every year.
    There's no way IBA would be in that type of mini tournament. The only school who would get an advantage there would be WSU. KC is probably the only place most would agree on.

Comment

Originally posted by martymoose View Post
      There's no way IBA would be in that type of mini tournament. The only school who would get an advantage there would be WSU. KC is probably the only place most would agree on.
      Probably right, but I think a annual event at the Sprint Center would be great too. Surely we would jump all over something like that IF it could be put together. I think they would have no problem selling out the Sprint Center for such such a double-header. Allocate 25% of the tickets to each fan base.

Comment

Probably right, but I think a annual event at the Sprint Center would be great too. Surely we would jump all over something like that IF it could be put together. I think they would have no problem selling out the Sprint Center for such such a double-header. Allocate 25% of the tickets to each fan base.
        Selling out would be no problem. KU sold it out for Davidson this year. Does it ever happen that 2 schools from the same conference play each other in the non conference part of the season? If so I assume that has no affect on conference standings.

Comment

I don't think that KU and KSU would ever play each other in this event. Let's say WSU, Creighton, KU and KSU participated. Is see it as a one day doubleheader event. KU vs WSU, KSU vs CU one year, followed by KSU vs WSU and KU vs CU the following year or something like that. Could swap another team for CU for the following two years. I don't see KU and KSU agreeing to any event that would match them up in the pre-season.

Comment

I don't think that KU and KSU would ever play each other in this event. Let's say WSU, Creighton, KU and KSU participated. Is see it as a one day doubleheader event. KU vs WSU, KSU vs CU one year, followed by KSU vs WSU and KU vs CU the following year or something like that. Could swap another team for CU for the following two years. I don't see KU and KSU agreeing to any event that would match them up in the pre-season.
            Why not make it a 2-day event with WSU, KU, KSU and MU. I think it would take MU (not CU or MSU) to get either KU or KSU to agree. One day it's WSU-KU, KSU-MU, then the next day it's WSU-KSU, KU-MU. Give each school an equal allotment of tickets (say 2000 ea.) and the rest are up for grabs. It wouldn't need to qualify as an MTE (exempt), just two games on the non-con schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
              Why not make it a 2-day event with WSU, KU, KSU and MU. I think it would take MU (not CU or MSU) to get either KU or KSU to agree. One day it's WSU-KU, KSU-MU, then the next day it's WSU-KSU, KU-MU. Give each school an equal allotment of tickets (say 2000 ea.) and the rest are up for grabs. It wouldn't need to qualify as an MTE (exempt), just two games on the non-con schedule.
              That would be great if you could arrange it, but I would not turn down a one-day event that gives the Shocks a game with KSU and KU every other year if that is all we could get.

In any case, I would prefer to allocate more tickets, say 5,000 to each fan base. Any tickets not sold 2 weeks prior to the event would then be put up for grabs. Otherwise, KU has a big advantage as their ticket office is known to have an "anthing goes" attitude when it comes to ticket distribution.
              Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 21, 2012, 10:46 AM.

Comment

In the Tim Brando interview, 3G just referred to this situation as Iowa and Iowa State 'taking their ball and going home'.
                I think Pringles original intention was to make tennis balls... but on the day the rubber was supposed to show up a truckload of potatoes came. Pringles is a laid-back company, so they just said, "**** it, cut em up!" - MH

Comment

NEVER! HAPPEN! NOT! IN! A! MILLION! YEARS!!

KU give WSU an opportunity for a nationally televised game? Never happen. One of KU's advantages is getting more TV games. They will not diminish that advantage by doing something to give WSU more.

KU give WSU exposure to recruiting in Kansas City? Never happen. That's KU's exclusive recruiting territory when they want to recruit there. They will not give WSU a chance to get significant exposure in their recruiting territory.

KU give up a home game for a revenue-shared game with WSU? Never happen. That's money out of KU's pocket and they would see it as putting money into WSU's pocket.

KU give WSU a chance to show that there might be more parity in college basketball than the BCS schools want the public to believe? Never happen.

A KU coach risking his $3 mill contract with a possible loss to WSU? Never hapopen. And you better know that if a KU coach scheduled WSU and then lost the game, that the KU fanbase would demand that coaches head and some other body parts.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Sigh! Damn it @ Aargh. You are probably right, unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                      NEVER! HAPPEN! NOT! IN! A! MILLION! YEARS!!

KU give WSU an opportunity for a nationally televised game? Never happen. One of KU's advantages is getting more TV games. They will not diminish that advantage by doing something to give WSU more.

KU give WSU exposure to recruiting in Kansas City? Never happen. That's KU's exclusive recruiting territory when they want to recruit there. They will not give WSU a chance to get significant exposure in their recruiting territory.

KU give up a home game for a revenue-shared game with WSU? Never happen. That's money out of KU's pocket and they would see it as putting money into WSU's pocket.

KU give WSU a chance to show that there might be more parity in college basketball than the BCS schools want the public to believe? Never happen.

A KU coach risking his $3 mill contract with a possible loss to WSU? Never hapopen. And you better know that if a KU coach scheduled WSU and then lost the game, that the KU fanbase would demand that coaches head and some other body parts.
                      Oh well, I guess Ku can keep playing and losing to the Davidson's of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
                        Oh well, I guess Ku can keep playing and losing to the Davidson's of the world.
                        Aargh is right on all counts. Take it from someone who has lived in KC for over 25 years now. Also, there is no way in H E double hockey sticks that KU will consider any kind of tourney that Mizzou is part of. Not gonna happen now that Mizzou has left for the SEC.

However, it would be great to have a 4 team tourney with WSU, KState, Mizzou and either Creighton or MoState. For that matter any combo of two B12 and Valley teams (KSU, Iowa State, etc) would be fun and a good draw. In fact, Mizzou might be more willing than anyone to do this if you get another quality BCS team to join in. Problem is who. Arkansas - no because they are in conference. Memphis would be good with them joining the Big East, or Louisville might bite since they REALLY want to join the B12. Would be a good showcase for them.

I am so over the KU thing now, I would hate if we did play them. I have learned to take my pleasure from them being 1-2 against the Valley and also losing to Bucknell and VCU in the NCAA. An occasional loss to Richmond, ORU and Davidson in the regular season also works for me...
                        Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

In the past I have suggested that we reinstate the Old Sunflower Doubleheader that use to be played with K-State and KU playing two outher teams of good stature on a Friday-Saturday turn around. This could be done with WSU as one of the other teams and the fourth team could come from another major conference. The site could be switched around between KC and Wichita, thus giving fan from all over the state a chance to see our great teams to play each other. I believe that a set up like this only counts as one game aginst a team schedule.

Comment

It's a shame Drake and UNI are being KU'd.

Comment

I remember Iowa fans blowing up like volcanoes when losing to MVC teams and questioning the logic and having to play in this series. Definitely BCS bias at its best over there.

Comment

Working...
                              X