X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pie n eye
    replied
    Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
    That is a lineup that I hope they use often which should also help our rebounding concerns. 1. TE, 2.RC 3.DD 4.Pleasant/or Jackson 5. Udeze
    It will be interesting to see but I imagine that at least two of Tyson, Porter or Grant will be on the floor at all times in contested games. I’m just not sure that RC or DD are the type of players that we’ve seen utilized as secondary ball handlers. Of course that was the Marshall era.

I also think Grant and Porter (when healthy) have the potential to be net positives for rebounding compared to last year.

Leave a comment:

• forevershockerfan
    replied
    That is a lineup that I hope they use often which should also help our rebounding concerns. 1. TE, 2.RC 3.DD 4.Pleasant/or Jackson 5. Udeze
    Last edited by forevershockerfan; September 29, 2021, 12:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ShockerLurker
    replied
    Originally posted by im4wsu View Post

Rebounding on a per 40 minute basis, RC4 did pretty darn good, IMHO

rebounding2021.png
    Being the third most efficient rebounder on last year's team is kinda like dating the 3rd prettiest burger flipper at a McDonald's. I wouldn't say either is much to brag about.

Leave a comment:

• im4wsu
    replied
    Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Defense and effort on defense (keeping the offensive player in front of him) was the problem for RC4.
    Don't disagree, but the comment included rebounding, and I believe he is performing more than adequately in that department.

Leave a comment:

• Shockm
    replied
    Originally posted by im4wsu View Post

rebounding2021.png
    Defense and effort on defense (keeping the offensive player in front of him) was the problem for RC4.

Leave a comment:

• im4wsu
    replied
    Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post
    I think Craig Porter is underrated because of his stats from last year. But everything I have read and seen says he could be an excellent point guard. That is the position he played before he came to WSU. And in my opinion having someone that has always played the point guard position benefis the team. Clearly he was hurt last year and was behind in preparation because of corvid protocols. If he can regain his game ( a big if ) before the injuries he could be the point guard that this team needs.. He certainly is going to have to shoot better from the free throw line.

RC4 in my opinion can be a very special players at WSU. I am not concerned with his offense. The question I have is can he consistently play defense and rebound the ball. Can he play TEAM DEFENSE? He has all the athletic tools. But only those with the athletic skills and basketball IQ rise to the very top.. Wishing him and CP good luck this year.. We need both of them..

Also the best defensive team I ever saw at WSU was the one with Fred, Ron, Tekel, Wessel, and D. Carter. Carter was only 6 7 everyone else below him in height.. Teams simply had a difficult time scoring against them. GO SHOCKS.

rebounding2021.png

Leave a comment:

• TheShocktocles
    replied
    I think Craig Porter is underrated because of his stats from last year. But everything I have read and seen says he could be an excellent point guard. That is the position he played before he came to WSU. And in my opinion having someone that has always played the point guard position benefis the team. Clearly he was hurt last year and was behind in preparation because of corvid protocols. If he can regain his game ( a big if ) before the injuries he could be the point guard that this team needs.. He certainly is going to have to shoot better from the free throw line.

RC4 in my opinion can be a very special players at WSU. I am not concerned with his offense. The question I have is can he consistently play defense and rebound the ball. Can he play TEAM DEFENSE? He has all the athletic tools. But only those with the athletic skills and basketball IQ rise to the very top.. Wishing him and CP good luck this year.. We need both of them..

Also the best defensive team I ever saw at WSU was the one with Fred, Ron, Tekel, Wessel, and D. Carter. Carter was only 6 7 everyone else below him in height.. Teams simply had a difficult time scoring against them. GO SHOCKS.

Leave a comment:

• im4wsu
    replied
    Originally posted by shock View Post
    I would be pleasantly surprised if that were the line up.

CP2 will start.
    I see what you did there.

Leave a comment:

• shock
    replied
    Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post
    44 isn't that bad, but it doesn't take much for the Shox to be quite a bit better than that.

Writers and prognosticators can rightfully question what the Shox have at PG. They probably didn't follow the NBA camps and see that Etienne is a likely NBA PG next year. Etienne is likely to play off ball, but if Porter can play off ball, IB just plugs in a future NBA player at PG. Grant can play off ball, Writers don't know much about him because he played at a different level.

If Dex can regain the shooting stroke he had as a Fr, the perimeter is dangerous from every position. If Dex has also added a left hand to his drives and can get to the hoop, which it seems he's been working on, then there's a triple threat to hit from 3 or get to the hoop from every position on the perimeter.

Pleasant can obviously stretch D's with his shooting. With all the threats from deep, Udeze should have fewer doubles. Post is still a ?. Backups are either undersized and out of position or they're Fr.

It's optimistic, but not unreal to think the Shox have a good shot at seeing top-25 this year. Udeze, Dennis and Etienne should all be studs this year. I didn't even get into discussing Council or Jackson. If Council can break into the starting lineup, Katie bar the door!

If Council can break into the starting lineup, it seems it would look like this. Porter comes off the bench and Etienne runs point.

PG - Etienne
    SG - Council
    SF - Dennis
    PF - Pleasant
    C - Udeze

Rebounding is a legitimate concern.
    I would be pleasantly surprised if that were the line up.

CP2 will start.

Leave a comment:

• pogo
    replied
    Top 25 has a nice ring to it.

Leave a comment:

• WuTheOne
    replied
    44 isn't that bad, but it doesn't take much for the Shox to be quite a bit better than that.

Writers and prognosticators can rightfully question what the Shox have at PG. They probably didn't follow the NBA camps and see that Etienne is a likely NBA PG next year. Etienne is likely to play off ball, but if Porter can play off ball, IB just plugs in a future NBA player at PG. Grant can play off ball, Writers don't know much about him because he played at a different level.

If Dex can regain the shooting stroke he had as a Fr, the perimeter is dangerous from every position. If Dex has also added a left hand to his drives and can get to the hoop, which it seems he's been working on, then there's a triple threat to hit from 3 or get to the hoop from every position on the perimeter.

Pleasant can obviously stretch D's with his shooting. With all the threats from deep, Udeze should have fewer doubles. Post is still a ?. Backups are either undersized and out of position or they're Fr.

It's optimistic, but not unreal to think the Shox have a good shot at seeing top-25 this year. Udeze, Dennis and Etienne should all be studs this year. I didn't even get into discussing Council or Jackson. If Council can break into the starting lineup, Katie bar the door!

If Council can break into the starting lineup, it seems it would look like this. Porter comes off the bench and Etienne runs point.

PG - Etienne
    SG - Council
    SF - Dennis
    PF - Pleasant
    C - Udeze

Rebounding is a legitimate concern.

Leave a comment:

• TheShocktocles
    replied
    Oh my!!!!! This might be fake news.. Shocker fans must guard against the Sucker punch. But good for top 144 because at least they identified all of our current players. That's a big step. But saying the Shockers should return to the NCAA tournament or compete for the title of the AAC if Ricky Council can take a big step forward does not fit well with the projections by Joe Lurnardi Gary Parrish or Jerry Palm. Do top 144 people not know the credentials of these people. They are like God's and they are never wrong.

WSU must accept its limitations. The real national media has spoken. Stay strong shocker fans.

Leave a comment:

• WuShock Reaper
    replied
    Wichita State Shockers
    #44 Wichita State Men's Basketball 2021-2022 Preview
    2021-2022 Overall Rank: #44
    Conference Rank: #3 American

Coach Isaac Brown took over the reins at Wichita State and was able to lead the Shockers back to the NCAA Tournament after they missed out in 2019 following seven straight appearances. They lost in the First Four to Drake, but this group should get another opportunity to make some noise in the NCAA Tournament.

2020-21 Record: 16-6, 11-2
    2020-21 Postseason: NCAA
    Coach: Isaac Brown
    Coach Record: 16-6 at Wichita State, 16-6 overall

Key Departed Players:
    Alterique Gilbert, Guard, 10.3 ppg
    Trey Wade, Forward, 6.7 ppg
    Isaiah Poor Bear-Chandler, Forward/Center, 3.0 ppg

Key Returning Players:
    Tyson Etienne, Sophomore, Guard, 16.3 ppg
    Morris Udeze, Junior, Forward, 10.3 ppg
    Dexter Dennis, Junior, Guard, 9.6 ppg
    Ricky Council IV, Freshman, Guard, 7.1 ppg
    Clarence “Monzy” Jackson, Sophomore, Forward, 5.0 ppg
    Craig Porter Jr, Junior, Guard, 2.1 ppg
    Chaunce Jenkins, Freshman, Guard, 1.2 ppg

Key New Players:
    Isaac Abidde, Freshman, Forward
    Steele Gaston-Chapman, Freshman, Guard
    Qua Grant, Junior, Guard, Transfer from D II
    Joe Pleasant, Junior, Forward, Transfer from Abilene Christian
    Kenny Pohto, Freshman, Forward
    Jalen Ricks, Freshman, Guard

Projection:
    Tyson Etienne easily led the team with 16.3 points per game. He took a big step during his sophomore season and turned into much more than just a shooter. Etienne is still a great shooter and hit 39.2 percent of his 7.5 attempts per game, but he can also score inside the arc. Dexter Dennis is another dynamic scorer who can knock down shots and finish above the rim. His defensive skills make him a key piece to this team, but he can score easily become a consistent double-digit scorer too. Ricky Council IV was named to the AAC All-Freshman team last season and will look to play a larger role in his second freshman season. He is an athletic big guard who shot an impressive 44.4 percent from beyond the arc. The frontcourt will again be led by Morris Udeze, who averaged 10.3 points and 4.7 rebounds a season ago. Clarence Jackson is ready for a larger role in the frontcourt and Abilene Christian transfer Joe Pleasant adds another forward to the roster. Pleasant averaged 10.5 points and 5.5 rebounds with the Wildcats last season. This should be an interesting season for Wichita State. They are a relatively young group, but some of those younger players have a ton of potential. If Council can take a big step forward during his second season, Wichita State should not only return to the NCAA Tournament but compete for a conference title as well.

Projected Postseason Tournament: NCAA

By the Numbers:
    Scoring Offense: 71.5 (163rd in nation, 4th in conference)
    Scoring Defense: 66.8 (72, 5)
    Field-Goal Percentage: 40.5 (310, 8)
    Field-Goal Defense: 40.2 (22, 3)
    Three-Point Field Goals Per Game: 8.1 (91, 2)
    Three-Point Field-Goal Percentage: 33.6 (176, 6)
    Free-Throw Percentage: 68.0 (257, 7)
    Rebound Margin: -1.5 (237, 9)
    Assists Per Game: 13.0 (181, 8)
    Turnovers Per Game: 11.2 (43, 2)

Leave a comment:

• WuShock Reaper
    replied
    Not-So-Secret Scrimmage Opponent

Texas Tech Red Raiders
    #47 Texas Tech Men's Basketball 2021-2022 Preview
    2021-2022 Overall Rank: #47
    Conference Rank: #6 Big 12

The Chris Beard era ended with three trips to the NCAA Tournament, including a national championship game appearance in 2019. Coach Mark Adams steps into the leading role after being an assistant under Beard during his entire tenure at Texas Tech. Three starters are gone, but Coach Adams has a nice returning core to build around and brought in eight transfers to fill the holes.

Projection:
    Terrence Shannon and Kevin McCullar will form a solid backcourt duo. Shannon is the team’s top returning scorer and averaged 12.9 points and 4.0 rebounds. McCullar struggled at times shooting the ball, but the 6-6 junior is great at attacking the basket, hitting the glass and using his length to play defense. Marcus Santos-Silva is a decent interior scorer and led the team with 6.4 rebounds and 1.1 blocks. Bryson Williams and Daniel Batcho could join Santos-Silva in the starting frontcourt. Batcho comes from Arizona and Williams averaged 17.8 points and 7.2 rebounds and 15.1 points and 7.4 rebounds during his two seasons at UTEP. Kevin Obanor will at least add experienced depth after averaging 18.7 points and 9.6 rebounds at Oral Roberts in 2020-2021. Florida State transfer Sardaar Calhoun highlights the transfers in the backcourt. He saw limited minutes with the Seminoles, but has the talent to make a big impact. Adonis Arms proved to be a big scoring threat off the bench at Winthrop and Mylik Wilson was also a double-digit scorer at Louisiana last season. Davion Warren is a big guard who ranked 13th in the nation in scoring while at Hampton last year. He will not repeat that 21.2 points per game with the Red Raiders, but he can make an impact in the Big 12. Obviously, Texas Tech has had to do some reloading. That could keep them from reaching the NCAA Tournament again, but Coach Adams’ team will continue to play tough defense and that could be enough for them to end up on the right side of the bubble.

Projected Postseason Tournament: NCAA (this looks like the last team in as an at-large with a12-seed)

Leave a comment:

• TheShocktocles
    replied
    Originally posted by WstateU View Post

LMAO. I got a corn dog for her. She will sleep good tonight.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X