Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a National Championship really worth...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If we make it in the Sweet 16 every 20 years, and the Final Four every 105 years, the chances of winning a National Championship are so small that it's almost impossible. In fact, I don't even let myself think that we have a 1 in 64 shot when we make the tourney. It's just not plausible. However, nothing in this world would make me as happy as winning a National Championship. My entire wardrobe would be set for the next year.
    "Say it slowly and savor it..."
    Nothing worse than sCUm/sKUm

Comment

So you'd trade in a legacy for an _opportunity_ to maybe improve our chances to someday achieve the very legacy you gave up in the first place? You cannot be my attorney.
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
        So you'd trade in a legacy for an _opportunity_ to maybe improve our chances to someday achieve the very legacy you gave up in the first place? You cannot be my attorney.
        If you tell me who's on first i'll let you be my lead off hitter.

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
          Better yet, let’s aspire to be back-to-back-to-back-to-back................................. NIT Champions. We also need a ‘new’ coach that doesn’t shoot for the stars… someone who doesn’t have unreasonable & unrealistic (at least in your eyes) expectations. I give you Butler, VCU & GMU... yes, they each had a chance to win a NC.

Oh, I’ll bet my left nut that coach Marshall believes he can win a National Championship here, there and anywhere.

By the way, ‘Cold’ is a ‘major league’ rabble-rouser and I’ll give you credit for being a ‘semi-pro’. Although JJ tries very hard, he’s just a wannabe rookie leaguer.
          There's nothing wrong with having a dream, hell, I'd love to see the Shox go all the way. But, I don't let my emotions to take over rational thought and common sense. When was the last non-football university to win the championship? I just look at the odds. For those who say, not hope, but say we will win the championship, I say lay off the pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
            He's not King Kung Wu for nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
              When was the last non-football university to win the championship?
              Kansas won it in 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by GoShockers89 View Post
                Kansas won it in 2008.
                lol
                I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
                  I wish the last paragraph was the first paragraph, because after I read "I'd trade a national championship for a football team and a new conference" I just stopped reading.

That. Is. Insanity.

You can't be serious, can you?
                  I'm dead serious.

Damn near anybody can get hot (within reason) and win 6 games in the NCAA tournament. Butler won 4 one year and then 5 the next. Butler is no Kentucky. But, give us a decent football program and get us out of the Missouri Valley Welfare Conference and we have a chance to really change our program.

And for those of you that have gone off the deep end; I'm trading a mythical 2013 national championship for football and a conference, not sending our basketball program back to oblivion. Marshall is still here and that means we will be winning and dancing. It just seems like we are on a strong path for lots of success this year and as great as a national championship would be, I would trade it for a good conference and a football program because I believe it would do more for us in the long run.

TCU is in the Big 12. I'll say it again, TCU is in the Big 12.

T

...:cool:

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                    Oh, I’ll bet my left nut that coach Marshall believes he can win a National Championship here, there and anywhere.
                    You are correct sir. HCGM has very large coconuts unlike that turncoat Turdgeon.

T

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
                      TCU is in the Big 12. I'll say it again, TCU is in the Big 12.
                      So all we have to do is have a very successful football program that finishes in the top 25 nine times in a decade, located in one of the three biggest recruiting hotbeds in all of college football, and then we too can join a predominantly football conference.

We're never going to be a TCU.

You don't want to have a football program. You want to have a successful football program. Even if we had a football program today, they would be absolutely terrible. For a long, long time.
                      Originally posted by BleacherReport
                      Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Let's not derail an interesting question with a bunch of criticisms about bringing up a national championship. Everybody is in agreement that winning it all is not probable, just possible. The fact that we are playing as well as we are and have been mentioned by some "expert's" as Final Four contenders, allows me to create a thread like this without looking totally insane (or more insane than I usually look).

Think about it for a moment, what good is a basketball national championship to a school without football, stuck in a horrible conference, filled with schools managing barely solvent athletic programs... in the long run? National championships are great, but they are not even on my wishlist. I want to compete for the top recruits and play the best teams in the country every year. I want to go to Koch Arena and watch legitimate, top-flight, basketball teams, not Evansville and NIU.

If Wichita State wins a national championship, Drake, Indy St, NIU, E-ville, and the rest of the trash will be arriving at 21st and Hillside right on queue the following season like nothing happened. **** that! Until 2008, the ChickenHawks had basically won one relevant national championship and the memory of the one in '88 was fleeting. In the meantime (20 years) they played at the highest level and was continually ranked top 10 every year. I want to build towards that level and I wanna use my magical/mythical national championship to make the first couple necessary steps.

P.S.

Look at the schools graduating from C-USA to the big time? I want to cry.

T

Last edited by EAGLE; February 21, 2012, 01:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
                          We're never going to be a TCU.

You don't want to have a football program. You want to have a successful football program. Even if we had a football program today, they would be absolutely terrible. For a long, long time.
                          That's the spirit!!!11

T

Comment

A NCAA basketball championship is worth not having a football program.

It is borderline an inarugable point.

I love you Cold, but you are sniffing some serious dirty underwear on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
                              A NCAA basketball championship is worth not having a football program.

It is borderline an inarugable point.

I love you Cold, but you are sniffing some serious dirty underwear on this one.
                              Must be this pair...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I wouldn't sacrifice the group of people currently making the effort & producing results for WSU. I've seen football games at WSU. (I'd like to see another.) But I liked the feeling of that NIT championship. I think this basketball group does things right. So wouldn't trade a NCAA championship for anything.
                                Phi Alpha

Comment

Working...
                                X