Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a National Championship really worth...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a National Championship really worth...

...to a major team trapped in a mid-major conference? Butler reached the Final Four two years in a row and made it one game short of a National Championship. How has their program changed? Are they getting looks from Burger Boys now? In the past, we talked endlessly about making our Sweet 16 appearance pay off... right. If we had duplicated Butler's run we would be talking about changing the name of KU's campus to the University of Wichita at Lawrence. The bottom line is this, short of a ton of t-shirts being sold and a huge temporary boost of pride, next year nobody cares because you are in the Mo Valley. Even the windfall of NCAA tourney cash has to be spread out among all the welfare teams of the league like E-ville, INSU, NIU, and Drake, who instead of reinvesting in their program, will most likely take their share to pay the electric bill.

Players you recruit want to know what you are doing NEXT year, not what you did last year. Now, if you are making a nice little run in the tournament every year that is a different story. What I'm talking about is getting hot a couple years in a row or making one huge run. I think it helps beating out teams in your league for recruits that are "at your level", but allowing you to start adding more top 100 players... afraid not. Most people would just be thankful of a flash in the pan year, but many Wichita State fans are like me and think the program is a helluva lot more than it has been showing over the last two decades.

This brings me to my point of the thread; I would trade a National Championship for a football team and a new conference. Let's say that this year we have the run of our lives and win it all. I would trade that for a one-and-done in the tourney if we could magically have football and/or a better conference. I'm not even a football fan. We have to get out of this conference ASAP. I would even prefer being independent if that is remotely feasible. And change the name back to Wichita University (WU) like it was back in the 1920's.

That is all...

T

...:cool:
    Last edited by C0|dB|00ded; February 19, 2012, 08:57 PM.

One year at a time. How about if we win the NCAA tourney and then worry about football? :very_drunk:
    Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
    Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

the only way football is coming back is magically

Comment

Let's help
        Jody Adams
        get the Women into the NCAA's also...
        Last edited by HarpBros; February 19, 2012, 09:18 PM.
        "Valley-shaking, nation-waking 29-game win streak." - Paul Suellentrop, The Wichita Eagle

Comment

I'd rather have the National Championship. Gonzaga and Xavier have done a pretty good job of creating lasting programs without a football team.
          Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
            ...to a major team trapped in a mid-major conference? Butler reached the Final Four two years in a row and made it one game short of a National Championship. How has their program changed? Are they getting looks from Burger Boys now? In the past, we talked endlessly about making our Sweet 16 appearance pay off... right. If we had duplicated Butler's run we would be talking about changing the name of KU's campus to the University of Wichita at Lawrence. The bottom line is this, short of a ton of t-shirts being sold and a huge temporary boost of pride, next year nobody cares because you are in the Mo Valley. Even the windfall of NCAA tourney cash has to be spread out among all the welfare teams of the league like E-ville, INSU, NIU, and Drake, who instead of reinvesting in their program, will most likely take their share to pay the electric bill.

Players you recruit want to know what you are doing NEXT year, not what you did last year. Now, if you are making a nice little run in the tournament every year that is a different story. What I'm talking about is getting hot a couple years in a row or making one huge run. I think it helps beating out teams in your league for recruits that are "at your level", but allowing you to start adding more top 100 players... afraid not. Most people would just be thankful of a flash in the pan year, but many Wichita State fans are like me and think the program is a helluva lot more than it has been showing over the last two decades.

This brings me to my point of the thread; I would trade a National Championship for a football team and a new conference. Let's say that this year we have the run of our lives and win it all. I would trade that for a one-and-done in the tourney if we could magically have football and/or a better conference. I'm not even a football fan. We have to get out of this conference ASAP. I would even prefer being independent if that is remotely feasible. And change the name back to Wichita University (WU) like it was back in the 1920's.

That is all...

T

...:cool:
            Not me. Give me the national championship every time.
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Want to know what Final Fours and National Championships are worth? Look at Louisville. A school that was a Valley member gets to 2 Final Fours in 4 years under Denny Crum while in the Valley, then gets 2 National Championships while in the Metro Conference (a non-football conference by the way).

What about a team that doesn't have football you say? Take Marquette. You want to complain about not getting the big conference revenues, well Marquette was an Independent when they made a finals appearance in 1974 and won the National Championship in 1977. Like Louisville, over time the prestige of being a National Champion makes you an appealing addition when conferences are looking to add teams.

Plus, you want to talk about WSU being a high major stuck in a mid major conference, well if that is the case it is in large part because of the Final Four and Elite Eight appearances the program has on its resume. The kind of tradition and pride built around those successes ensure longstanding fan support that is key to maintaining your program.
              "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316 View Post
                One year at a time. How about if we win the NCAA tourney and then worry about football? :very_drunk:
                How about we win the valley tourney ? ( That would be a great place to start )

Comment

What would you do for a National Championship? Would you get a high major coach? Would you spend a metric butt ton of money somewhere else instead of on your high major coach's needs? Would you change conferences to gain national attention? Would you add a high caliber sport to draw in burger boys?
                  I would do anything for a National Championship short of selling my soul. The fact that we are even seriously talking about National Championships is awesome. If Someone told HCGM WSU would hang THE banner next year as long as he stayed in the MVC and the big twelve came knocking, what do you think he would do? What a National Championship worth then?
                  People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                  Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

A couple of things about the original post before I give my take on the question posed.
                    1. The kids Butler recruited off of their runner-up runs are freshmen and still Srs in high school (unless they magically got a couple of comits late spring '10), so they have yet to see the fruits of their runs. Though it is quite disappointing I am sure that they are struggling this year.
                    2. Football is not the magical answer to becoming relevant nationally in hoops. I completely would agree that it would help and add a dimension to the university, but it is not paramount to basketball success.

My response to the question: Give me the national championship, that would serve as a building block for the program. Take that run and get a couple of higher profile recruits from it and over time you will build the program to a Gonzaga type level (or higher). That success would translate to a better MVC, at least at the top, as I believe a few of the other teams (CU, MSU) have the ability to keep up with WSU. If those 3 teams upped the level of play at the top of the league and were making consistent trips to the NCAA all of a sudden there is more $$ flowing in and all of the programs benefit and the league rises. Play off of that and WSU can do things such as changing conferences, which would then hopefully lead to more $$ and possibly the return of football DOWN THE ROAD. Its a long-term effect if a team can continue to build off of success. Though a new conference would be nice!
                    -Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind-

GO SHOX!

Comment

Give me the national championship and I'll have a smile on my face for decades.

Comment

Very interesting question. One I am far from even remotely qualified to answer. However, I will anyway. If its one or the other, I'd take the National title as a short term fix. But I think that a football team and a better conference would provide a chance for more long term success. I could be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Shox151 View Post
                          Very interesting question. One I am far from even remotely qualified to answer. However, I will anyway. If its one or the other, I'd take the National title as a short term fix. But I think that a football team and a better conference would provide a chance for more long term success. I could be wrong.
                          I agree with this. Just having football would open up more doors and a better, stronger conference would lead to more long term success
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Is there a dollar amount a national championship is worth? TV revenue, merchandise, coaches bonuses to name a few.

It would also help to get to a better conference as well.

But I too agree that football and a better conference would probably add more over the long haul.

Comment

Championship VERY special

Only 35 schools have won an NCAA Tournament Championship. That's something V-E-R-Y S-P-E-C-I-A-L

"I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                              ---------------------------------------
                              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Working...
                              X