No announcement yet.

State of the Program 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Pleasant and Grant can bring their game to this level, this could be the best Shocker roster since Baker and VanVleet were here.

Comment

• This seems like a good thread for the new Athletic piece on HCIB.

There are so many quotable sections in the article, but I can only choose one:

Brown walks in Wednesday morning to the conference room of the WSU basketball offices, realizes special assistant Ryan Hillard is being interviewed about him, and insists that this article be about the kids. “I’m good,” he says. “I’m an old man. I don’t need no love.”

For two straight days Brown keeps saying to make it about the kids. He’s told they’ll get their shine, but people want to know about him and what the program is like now under him.

“That’s him to a T,” Hillard says. “He doesn’t want any of it.”

Brown is not self promotional. Simply check his Twitter feed, which is mostly dormant, for proof. He says he got into this business because he enjoyed being around the players and wanted to help guys develop their games and become better people. He never knew his dad, and his coaches were like father figures to him. One of those men is James Green, who had been an assistant during the one season Brown played at Texas A&M and who helped him land his first job at Pearl River Community College. Brown made $10,000 and lived in the dorms. “I was in heaven,” he says. “I was coaching basketball. I was around kids. I was recruiting. I was helping guys develop as players and off the basketball court.”

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
        This seems like a good thread for the new Athletic piece on HCIB.

There are so many quotable sections in the article, but I can only choose one:
        My Man IB !!! A true warrior for the players. I hope our young men listen and play hard for him and WSU. Go Shocks.

Comment

• I can read the excitement building from the Shocker fan base. Sure a different feel from the off Season of the unknown last year. Now with the roster set we can speculate on the competition for playing time (team appears deep). Going to miss the speed of Alterique and the character and steady play of Trey Wade. However, the new additions inside are a welcome addition in strength and athletic ability. Experience will be to the teams benefit this year as well. Like the fact that the coaching staff stayed together and very little turnover occurred.

Comment

• Originally posted by homegrownshocker View Post
            I can read the excitement building from the Shocker fan base. Sure a different feel from the off Season of the unknown last year. Now with the roster set we can speculate on the competition for playing time (team appears deep). Going to miss the speed of Alterique and the character and steady play of Trey Wade. However, the new additions inside are a welcome addition in strength and athletic ability. Experience will be to the teams benefit this year as well. Like the fact that the coaching staff stayed together and very little turnover occurred.
            I feel we will be better at those positions without Wade and Gilbert. Competition will be strong at all positions and we have the depth to reward them for pushing each other.

Having a bigger, longer front court with more versatility will go a long way as well.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I feel we will be better at those positions without Wade and Gilbert. Competition will be strong at all positions and we have the depth to reward them for pushing each other.

Having a bigger, longer front court with more versatility will go a long way as well.
              Agreed ... to an extent. I think we have enough data to say that Joe Pleasants on court production will be equal or better than Wade. Now the intangibles? I don't know .. Wade brought a lot there.

As far as replacing Gilbert? He was a giveth and taketh away type guy. I think Porter is going to step up and Qua Grant will provide a different style of player to balance it. Gilbert was hard to keep in front of you because of speed. Grant appears to be a player that can go THROUGH you. I'm not ready to say any of those are sure fire upgrades to Gilbert (He was better than many gave him credit for) but the possibility is there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Agreed ... to an extent. I think we have enough data to say that Joe Pleasants on court production will be equal or better than Wade. Now the intangibles? I don't know .. Wade brought a lot there.

As far as replacing Gilbert? He was a giveth and taketh away type guy. I think Porter is going to step up and Qua Grant will provide a different style of player to balance it. Gilbert was hard to keep in front of you because of speed. Grant appears to be a player that can go THROUGH you. I'm not ready to say any of those are sure fire upgrades to Gilbert (He was better than many gave him credit for) but the possibility is there.

I agree; definitely better than given credit for (probably not outside of the program). A point guard that can take care of the ball is kind of important. Free throws too...

Comment

Working...
                X