State of the Program 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I usually think you get the best you can get. A Freshman would be the best fit, but it is a bad recruiting practice to recruit players with their expectations of minutes as our main concern. I would imagine that would be the view of most on this board, and most players too, provided players want to be pushed to be their best. We probably have a few players right here in Wichita who would be willing to receive a scholarship that aren't talented enough to have one.
    +1 on this. You go get the best player you can get at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post
      Thanks to several posters who noticed my mistake in thinking Pohto would be the third option. That was a mistake in my earlier post. I have more confidence in Udeze than some posters. I don't see a Fr taking minutes away from him. Might give him more bench time to stay fresh and free him up to be more aggressive on D without worrying about fouling.

McFarlane will be a So for eligibility. Udeze will be a Jr, with an optional 5th year, as he's likely to graduate. A Fr post is probably pretty high on the priority list.
      I don’t think it was necessarily a mistake to say Pohto would be the third option. It’s difficult to say.

Mo is the first option and it’s going to take a really good player to unseat him next year.

It would be easier to make the case to Pohto (or any other incoming frosh big) that he can come in and move ahead of McFarlane since he is a newcomer as well. In reality I think that’s unlikely to happen unless Pohto is really really good.

There’s a reason we go after and have been so successful with JUCO bigs. They’ve proven themselves capable at a higher level than HS or prep school kids. They’re older and more mature. They’re only here two years but more often than not they are significant contributors both years in the program. I don’t think the same can be said of the freshman bigs.

Is it possible we land a freshman big good enough to beat out McFarlane on the depth chart or that we’ve whiffed on our evaluation of him in the first place? Sure. Is it likely? I don’t think so.

Comment

Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post
        Thanks to several posters who noticed my mistake in thinking Pohto would be the third option. That was a mistake in my earlier post. I have more confidence in Udeze than some posters. I don't see a Fr taking minutes away from him. Might give him more bench time to stay fresh and free him up to be more aggressive on D without worrying about fouling.

McFarlane will be a So for eligibility. Udeze will be a Jr, with an optional 5th year, as he's likely to graduate. A Fr post is probably pretty high on the priority list.
        Where did you read that Pohto wouldn't be the third option? It was stated that IF He Was The Best, he would expect to not be the third option, and one said that he would be a HR sign, and within a couple of years, he wasn't SURE, Pohto would be the third option. I didn't see anyone on here who said he would be For Sure or he would be Promised more.

It is true, imo, that Udeze would be the #1 option, until he is proven to not be the best.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

It's a fan message board. How should we approach it? Lol! Clueless...
          Approach it however you want, free country (I think) but to speculate that our most improved player MO, who has worked his ass off to improve his inside game, free throws and staying in the game should maybe be shaved down to 20 minutes a game in favor of recruits we haven’t seen seems real dumb. At least til we see them. We haven’t beat out anybody great for the guys we’ve signed. But you should definitely get more minutes on this board . “Lol Clueless”

Comment

Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post

Approach it however you want, free country (I think) but to speculate that our most improved player MO, who has worked his ass off to improve his inside game, free throws and staying in the game should maybe be shaved down to 20 minutes a game in favor of recruits we haven’t seen seems real dumb. At least til we see them. We haven’t beat out anybody great for the guys we’ve signed. But you should definitely get more minutes on this board . “Lol Clueless”
            Why so serious?
            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post

Why so serious?
              He just thinks that Mo walks on water, and that he is above criticism. Mo did improve his free throws (although at the end of the year, his percentage sunk like the Titanic), and did work hard, but the only reason he was able to play more minutes instead of fouling out, is that he backed off on defense (I will say that with the options we had to back him up, I was ok with that). However, even though he is a good Center, and he made steps up from the past two years, he isn't the dominant Center some are making him out to be, and he has a low ceiling, thus he will show limited improvement during his last two years.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

He just thinks that Mo walks on water, and that he is above criticism. Mo did improve his free throws (although at the end of the year, his percentage sunk like the Titanic), and did work hard, but the only reason he was able to play more minutes instead of fouling out, is that he backed off on defense (I will say that with the options we had to back him up, I was ok with that). However, even though he is a good Center, and he made steps up from the past two years, he isn't the dominant Center some are making him out to be, and he has a low ceiling, thus he will show limited improvement during his last two years.
                While I think Mo will continue to improve, and I have a higher opinion of him than most, I also think that 20/12/8 minute split is not unreasonable and would make Mo a bigger impact on the game.
                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
                  lo

While I think Mo will continue to improve, and I have a higher opinion of him than most, I also think that 20/12/8 minute split is not unreasonable and would make Mo a bigger impact on the game.
                  I like Udeze as a serviceable center. His FT shooting improvement was masterful indeed. I believe he will again shoot a nice percentage going forward. He has one go-to post move which is a quick drop step which is effective against some. He is a below average defender, but has an impressive knack of drawing offensive fouls. I also believe he developed a nice skill when Gilbert was in the game of finding the open space to receive a pass at the basket. I love his dunks. He is limited beyond 2 feet of the basket. I have no idea what Brown was smoking coming into the year hyping Udeze's ability to stroke the 3 on occasion. Occasion meaning once in a blue moon maybe when the shot clock is about to expire. Udeze quickly proved that theory wrong. I am sure there will be an improvement over the summer somewhere in his game. I like many on this board feel he is close to maximizing his ceiling. There is certainly room for one of the new bigs to showcase big men skill and eat into Udeze's minutes. Until then Udeze is our serviceable option.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post

I like Udeze as a serviceable center. His FT shooting improvement was masterful indeed. I believe he will again shoot a nice percentage going forward. He has one go-to post move which is a quick drop step which is effective against some. He is a below average defender, but has an impressive knack of drawing offensive fouls. I also believe he developed a nice skill when Gilbert was in the game of finding the open space to receive a pass at the basket. I love his dunks. He is limited beyond 2 feet of the basket. I have no idea what Brown was smoking coming into the year hyping Udeze's ability to stroke the 3 on occasion. Occasion meaning once in a blue moon maybe when the shot clock is about to expire. Udeze quickly proved that theory wrong. I am sure there will be an improvement over the summer somewhere in his game. I like many on this board feel he is close to maximizing his ceiling. There is certainly room for one of the new bigs to showcase big men skill and eat into Udeze's minutes. Until then Udeze is our serviceable option.
                    It was not Brown hyping that MO was shooting 3 pointers. That was former coach Marshall. And it was Coach Marshall that was saying that Tre Wade was a pro. He was wrong on both predictions. Look at the video and get your facts right. Go Shocks.

Comment

Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

It was not Brown hyping that MO was shooting 3 pointers. That was former coach Marshall. And it was Coach Marshall that was saying that Tre Wade was a pro. He was wrong on both predictions. Look at the video and get your facts right. Go Shocks.
                      wagging finger.png

Comment

No doubt.

Love me some GGG and his -ahem- positive attitude but sometimes he stretchered the bounds of 'plausibility'. Remember when he said Samjae was going to be WSU's next pro?

For inference, I was glad to see HCIB finally conquer the big bad bully (and downright thuggish) Houston. I hope that doesn't upset some of the cougar fans on this board.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

No doubt.

Love me some GGG and his -ahem- positive attitude but sometimes he stretchered the bounds of 'plausibility'. Remember when he said Samjae was going to be WSU's next pro?

For inference, I was glad to see HCIB finally conquer the big bad bully (and downright thuggish) Houston. I hope that doesn't upset some of the cougar fans on this board.
                          Totally agree. Bless his heart. Coach Marshall was hyping some things to build positive attitude for some of our players. But sometimes the players could not live up to the hype. Go Shocks.

Comment

Trey Wade will be a pro. Not wrong on that one. He will make a good living playing in Europe. Not a stretch at all.

Comment

Lol... The first comment.

Also good for us!!

​​​​​ Screenshot_20210428-121217_Twitter.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                                Lol... The first comment.

Also good for us!!

​​​​​ Screenshot_20210428-121217_Twitter.jpg
                                Bazinga!!

Comment

Working...