Observations from Omaha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Observations from Omaha

This was my third trip to Omaha. It is an easy drive for most WSU fans and I recommend it, especially if it is on a Saturday. I think there should be more Shockers fans for next year's game in Omaha.

There were a lot of Shocker fans (Sullentrop estimated 250). I have no idea.

Because the arena is so big, there will always be tickets available. It is a nice arena and within walking distance to a lot of hotels and restaurants.

The Creighton fans were friendly and humbled.

They initiated all of the conversations with my group before and after the game. At least half of the fans we talked to said something like, "I am really a Nebraska fan, but their basketball is so bad and I live here in Omaha so I am a Creighton fan too." I thought it interesting that so many CU fans felt the need to tell us this.

Even when the game is in doubt, the noise-level simply doesn't comare to Koch. It has other advantages of course, specifically the size, but for the crowd intimidating an opponent, Koch is several levels above.

Another nice thing about the trip is that Omaha isn't a college town. So there I didn't feel like I (and other Shockers fans) were being watched as we were out and about before or after the game. That isn't the case when I've attended games in Stillwater and Manhattan, for example.

I think there were a lot more than 250 Shocker fans there. I was in section 223 and there were more than that in sections 222, 223 and 224 alone.

I could see Shocker fans in virtually every section of the arena. I am not sure how Paul S. did his count.

The CU fans I talked to said their crowd was the loudest and rowdyest (at the beginning of the game anyway) that they had ever seen before. They also said the student section was far better than they had ever seen before.

I also had the same experience as you in that most of the Cu fans were very casual CU fans (really UNL football fans) and wanted to make sure I knew that. Many of them also said they were impressed with the number of Shocker fans and how loud and organized we were.

Comment

Ditto. Had a great time on my first trip to a game in Omaha. I was a little concerned how we would be treated given my history with CU fans in St Louis. I was surprised as most of the CU fans I ran into before and after the game were very respectful.

The Nebraska comments are funny. The fans I actually interacted with didn't say anything about Nebraska. However, at halftime I was in line for the restroom and I overheard some "Creighton fans" talking. You would think it would be about the game they are attending. Instead they were talking about Nebraska losing to Penn St LOL.

Had a great time and the locker room experience was outstanding. I would highly recommend this trip to those that get a chance. I will definately go back.
      "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

I had a good time at the game on Saturday. We were sitting in 224 row E. All of the fans in front us and next to us were Creighton fans, but there were several rows of Shocker fans sitting right behind us which made it pretty easy to yell for the Shocks. We didn't have any problems with any of the Creighton fans sitting around us.

The Creighton fan I was sitting next to was very friendly and we talked throughout the game. It turns out we both went to the same high school (although he was several years younger), grew up not too far from each other, and both our dads went to "W.U". His dad currently lives in Florida (mine retired to FL and lived there for 8 years before moving to Wichita before he died). He and his son left with a few minutes left in the game, but he was very cordial and said at least his dad will be happy.

I ran into several Shocker fans at the game and before the game at the Matress Factory. It was kind of funny before the game my sister (a Creighton basketball season ticket holder these days) called me to meet her and my brother in law there, she said you won't believe it but the bar was full of Shocker fans. I told her I believe it.

The only Creighton fan I had any problems with after the game was my sister. She wasn't in a very good mood and we were spending the night at her house. Fortunately the rest of my relatives turned out not to be such strong Creighton fans afterall. One of my other sisters who live in Omaha told me she rooted for WSU while she watched the game on TV. She said she didn't really care about Creighton.

This was about my 30th WSU at Creighton basketball game and I have almost always found the Jays basketball fans to be very friendly. Although there are a lot more of them now then there used to be.
        Last edited by shocker3; February 13, 2012, 02:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shocker3 View Post
          This was about my 30th WSU at Creighton basketball game and I have almost always found the Jays basketball fans to be very friendly. Although there are a lot more of them now then there used to be.
          Not surprised at all. Midwestern folks are good people! :)
          FINAL FOURS:
          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
          Number of Times Ranked: 157
          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
          #3 - Dec. 2017
          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
          #2 ~ March 2014
          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
            Not surprised at all. Midwestern folks are good people! :)
            I'm happy to finally read some posts about good people in Omaha. Over the years, I have had many conversations with Creighton fans in St Louis as well as one trip to Omaha and have found nearly all their fans I've ran into to be good people. Yes, I know about the few who have made fools of themselves in St Louis, but from my experience, they have been very much in the minority.

Thus far, I've only missed Indiana State and Evansville in my travels to games, and I've never gone anywhere that I did not enjoy the majority of the fans. There were a couple guys in Cedar Falls last year who were pretty bad and I've had insultes thrown my way in Springfield.

I've also seen Shocker fans at some of our road games who made us look bad. Just like the opposing fans, our troublesome fans are in the minority, but they are certainly there. There were a group of Shocker fans who left me totally embarrassed on my 1st trip to Springfield some years back. I had to deal with some MSU fans who were pretty upset with us because of the few drunk Shocker fans who made us all look bad.

Comment

Shocker3, I am sorry I missed you at the Mattress Factory.

One other thing is that 3 or 4 CU/UNL fans ask us about Marshall and whether he would go to Nebraska to replace Sadler. The answer was pretty obvious.

Comment

That question made me laugh.
                "If you strive for perfection, often times you can achieve excellence." --Gregg Marshall

Comment

I think something we should all definitely take from this is that we also need to be kind and humble to opposing fans either visiting our place, or in the Lou. We wanna make a good impression for our Shockers and this is the best way to do it. We obviously don't want poor representation.

Comment

St. Louis brings out the best in all fan bases for the most part. The only groups I can recall getting out of line in an annoying way have been UNI and the CU student section.

I don't think it's possible to go to Arch Madness and not be proud of Shocker Nation. We represent, and we do it with class, imho.

Comment

Went to the game and sat in Section 107 just below the suites. Had some very nice fans around us. Everything was going good until the three minute mark when either Joe or Carl hit a big bucket. We just cheered as we had been all game. Next thing we know we hear profanity. We look above and this one guy in the upper section is just yelling at us. F You guys, FFfffffffffffffffffffff You and more random banter. (Replace the F with the full word). That was about it but the people around us all apologized.

Otherwise it was a fantastic time.

I really hope we can go 3-0 in Omaha this season in basketball...................
                      ============

Reviewing the best establishments and restaurants in Wichita
                      www.wichitabyeb.com

Comment

My wife and I will attempt to never miss a weekend Shocker game in Omaha. Easy parking and walk from Old Town, cheap hotels and generally great fan experiences. We stayed over at the new Mid Town Crossing at the Element Hotel, and ate our evening meal in that area with friends from Omaha. We didn't get to change after the game (minor thirst delay in Old Market) and several Creighton attired fans stopped by our table to ask about the team and players. One guy bought me a beer.
                        As we were walking out of the CLINK, a young man was pleading his case for a stiff whiskey to the attractive co-ed with him. I turned to her and told her he appears to have wisdom beyond his years and the events of the day make that an attractive option for most in attendance. He said thanks, then realized I was dressed in black. He smiled and thanked me for the props as she agreed to "just one". I saw a few guys hooting and hollering outside the bar near the stadium in their WSU gear, but little else in the way of celebrating outwardly. Being on the road gives you much more insight how to be a great fan, win or lose, and how to treat those guests who venture into your arena.

I too thought there were more than 250 WSU fans.
                        Robin Roberts: "My mother used to say, when you strut, you stumble."

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
                          Shocker3, I am sorry I missed you at the Mattress Factory.

One other thing is that 3 or 4 CU/UNL fans ask us about Marshall and whether he would go to Nebraska to replace Sadler. The answer was pretty obvious.
                          I am sorry I missed you too. I did talk to Sexton briefly at the Mattress Factory. My nephew and I were sitting at a table almost right in the middle of the bar with 2 Creighton fans (my sister and brother-in-law), we got several comments from both Shockers and Jays fans as they walked by.

I did look around for you in the arena but didn't see you.

I also think there were a lot more than 250 Shocker fans at the game. My best guess would be at least double that many.

Comment

Working...
                          X