Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What grade do you give for the 2020-21 season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm from the Old School where a Basketball Season is divided into 3 parts. I know this isn't what was asked for but it is a much more accurate journal of what occurred.
    1. Non-Conference Incomplete and C or C+. We didn't play a full schedule, so it's impossible to evaluate completely because we only had 8 players available to practice and play games. However, the 3 teams we did play were all Top Notch teams. We did defeat what ended up being a good Oral Roberts Team who was a Tournament team, but lost to a very good at the time we played them Mizzou team that was a Top 20 team for almost all of the year. They didn't play great in the NCAA Tourney but were very good when we played them. Oklahoma State was a very close game that was lost on a last minute shot, against another Top 20 team.
    2. Conference Incomplete and A-. We, again didn't play a full schedule, but our record ended up being the best in the AAC for games we could play. We did play very hard and good against Houston both times, and we did defeat almost all of the teams we should have defeated. We only had one game against Memphis, but we didn't win by as much as we should have in a couple of home games (Temple and Tulane). The Houston game showed how good we could be when we totally "sold out" in our play, especially rebounding.
    3. Post-Season D+ We didn't sell out and rebound like we were capable of, and one has to be able to rebound, when shots stop falling. We should have defeated Cincinnati handily, and against Drake, we couldn't extend our double digit leads twice.

Overall, we had a very good season even though incomplete. A team cannot get into the NCAA Tourney without a good non-conference season, but this year was very different. We won our first AAC Championship, which I don't apologize for. Hopefully this helps us recruit a really good player, or maybe two during this spring.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

I don’t know what that means, you’ll have to tell me.

I guess for some the 2013-2014 season would have been an F “if not for the undefeated regular season”.

Sometimes you have a great team and lose an all time classic and don’t see the second weekend. It’s happened to a ton of other teams. It happens every year. It doesn’t mean you weren’t still a great team. Unfortunately in a single elimination tournament the better team, as proven over the course of an entire season, doesn’t always win.
      You basically just summarized it nicely. Creighton fans tout regular season banners. WSU boasts NCAA tournament wins.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I brought up that season to counter the “NCAA is all that matters” idea. If that’s the case then 2013-2014 season was a failure.
        Did you think it ended well?
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

First thing I think of when I think of that season is the loss to Kentucky. I may be in the minority, but I definitely don't think of the unbeaten season first.

Comment

You basically just summarized it nicely. Creighton fans tout regular season banners. WSU boasts NCAA tournament wins.
            Not this year.

Comment

It’s obviously not the way I thought or hoped it would end because we had a team that was good enough to win a National championship.

The fact that we didn’t even make it past the first weekend doesn’t mean the season was a failure or that the team wasn’t as good as we thought.

Play that exact tournament 10 times and we win it at least once. That’s not how life works, unfortunately. Sometimes you live in the multiverse where WSU loses to Kentucky.

Comment

Not this year.
                It only took them 115 years. Props.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Play that exact tournament 10 times and we win it at least once. That’s not how life works, unfortunately. Sometimes you live in the multiverse where WSU loses to Kentucky.
                  I actually have the ability to do that with DKS basketball simulation. I have that season. I wonder if it worth the project of testing and seeing what happens.

Comment

It’s obviously not the way I thought or hoped it would end because we had a team that was good enough to win a National championship.

The fact that we didn’t even make it past the first weekend doesn’t mean the season was a failure or that the team wasn’t as good as we thought.

It was a good season. But with every sport, you are judged based on your post season. That is life. It’s also why Marty Shottenheimer was canned after assembling an 80-15 regular season record in KC.

You took the extreme outlier (an undefeated season) to try and make your point. Of course it was a fun year and one I’ll never forget. But like Horn said, Kentucky is the first thing I think about in 2014. Maybe it didn’t sting you hard because we already had a great year. But it hurt for me.

And unfortunately we can’t play tournaments 10 times a year.

Do you think UConn remembers how mediocre they were throughout the season in 2014 or do you think they remember the national title?
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

It was a good season. But with every sport, you are judged based on your post season. That is life. It’s also why Marty Shottenheimer was canned after assembling an 80-15 regular season record in KC.

You took the extreme outlier (an undefeated season) to try and make your point. Of course it was a fun year and one I’ll never forget. But like Horn said, Kentucky is the first thing I think about in 2014. Maybe it didn’t sting you hard because we already had a great year. But it hurt for me.

And unfortunately we can’t play tournaments 10 times a year.

Do you think UConn remembers how mediocre they were throughout the season in 2014 or do you think they remember the national title?
                      I was at the game you horses ass and it stung like hell.

I could also point at the team from Stutz/Toure’s senior year as another example of a team with a great regular season who lost too soon in the tourney. Or Shamet/Reaves/Shaq team.

The 2014 UCONN national champs were 26-8, finished second in the American, and were ranked in the top 25. I guess under some people’s grading scale that is considered mediocre?

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

I actually have the ability to do that with DKS basketball simulation. I have that season. I wonder if it worth the project of testing and seeing what happens.
                        Please share the results if you do.

Comment

I was at the game you horses ass and it stung like hell.

I could also point at the team from Stutz/Toure’s senior year as another example of a team with a great regular season who lost too soon in the tourney. Or Shamet/Reaves/Shaq team.

The 2014 UCONN national champs were 26-8, finished second in the American, and were ranked in the top 25. I guess under some people’s grading scale that is considered mediocre?
                          Name calling? Typical.

Ok, try 2011.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Name calling? Typical.

Ok, try 2011.
                            If the horse shoe fits...

You’re right, that wasn’t nice to call you a name and it was jeuvenile. I apologize.

As far as the 2011 Huskies, do they remember the regular season? Probably. They won the Maui invitational and then went 9-9 in the OG Big East, for whatever that’s worth.

Obviously success on that level is going to overshadow anything that happened during the regular season. That’s never been in question.

You know one of the things I always remember when I think back to the Final 4 year? That all we had to do was beat Evansville at home on senior day to clinch at least a share of the regular season championship but we lost. I also remember that we barely lost a slugfest to Creighton in the Valley championship game in STL. Oh, yeah, that happened to be the last year Creighton was in the Valley. Still incredibly annoying we let them walk out the door with both titles.

Comment

Working...
                            X