Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How about Wichita State and Creighton to the MWC.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm for anything that keeps WSU from getting e-villed.

Also to think a league that would include UNLV and UNM wouldn't be better than the Valley is just not thinking straight. Especially if you are talking WSU/CU leaving the Valley.

No worries though, this is all pointless and is just fans passing time. I will say CU/WSU continue to invest in their programs at a much higher level than the rest of the league. That is frustrating.

Comment

That would be one pretty good basketball conference. I like some of the tradition in the Valley but I like being in a conference that gets multiple bids each year better.

Comment

Wyoming? Oh, wait, I just looked it up -- they won in 1943 (!). You're not kidding about history, CJ.

Comment

If both WSU and Creighton would hop, I would do it in a second. Easy decision.
          The Assman

Comment

I would have to agree. If both Creighton and WSU bolt, it's a good move.

Comment

The MWC already finishes 6-8 every year. Usually we finish 7th. If we finish eighth it's because the MVC, CUSA, or the A-10 finished 7th.

Both Creighton and Wichita State have budgets similar to MWC schools minus the 6-12 million we spend on football every year.

I love both schools. I really like the fact that Kansas and eastern Nebraska is the epicenter of college basketball. I'm a historian and both schools have history and modern results to back it up.

For the gentleman that looked up 1943, look up the Helm's foundation title we were awarded in 1934. They're the organization that tracked titles before the NCAA officially started keeping track. We got a Helm's foundation title in 1934 as well.

Anyways, it's an option and for a basketball fan it would be the equivalent of adding two top 20 basketball PROGRAMS to a league that already is the 5th ranked league in America in conference R.P.I.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                Travel is that much different? Ok California is farther. How much different travel time is ISUb and Evansville to Nevada and UNLV? I would think that baseball would be better too.
                I do not think travel would be a deal breaker either. The biggest obstacle I see with this proposal is getting WSU and CU to leave a very stable conference to join one that is unstable.

An interesting modification to your idea would be in addition to add Tulsa for all sports. That would create a 10 team league for football and basketball and give the MWC presence in the states of:

Nebraska
                Kansas
                Oklahoma
                Texas
                New Mexico
                Colorado
                Wyoming
                Nevada
                California
                Hawaii

Comment

I have to wonder if joining the MWC might help us keep HCGM longer. I think salary is not a huge problem; if I recall correctly, he gets $900K + $100K x number of years at WSU + bonuses. Right now, that would be something like $1.4M or $1.5M?

However, being in a multibid conference might help recruiting (not that it needs nuch help right now) and give the Marshalls a reason to stay another 10-15 years. Look at Ralph Miller's career: 10 (?) years at "WSU", 7 (?) years at Iowa and 15-20 (?) years at Oregon State. Dana was at CU for a long time. I'd love to see Gregg & family stay here for the long haul.
                  Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                  Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Creighton, WSU and Tulsa as a package deal would be a no brainier for me.

Also, wouldn't that be a reasonable baseball conference?
                    Livin the dream

Comment

Creighton beat SDSU. WSU beat UNLV. I think having CU & WSU join the MWC this year would have resulted in the same situation of CU and WSU playing for the conference (MVC or MWC) title.
                      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

I've got to add that joining the MWC would get us out of the BracketBusters that Elgin recently signed to a four year extension. On RealTimeRPI this morning, WSU is #18 and Davidson is #64. Talk about a joke; a victory over Davidson does not give the Shocks a top 50 win and a loss hurts a lot. In the past, I was not opposed to the BB but the ESPN choices this year make me want to get out of that mess.

Comment

I'm usually not a big fan of change, but I could see this working out for the better. I wanna be in a more significant league, and this one is a step or two above ours. Only if Creigh town comes with us...

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                            Put CU and WSU into that basketball lineup and that's a pretty solid basketball conference. Probably a 6th - 8th conference RPI every year.
                            Originally posted by StillCJ View Post
                            The MWC already finishes 6-8 every year. Usually we finish 7th. If we finish eighth it's because the MVC, CUSA, or the A-10 finished 7th.
                            According to http://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-bas...rating-by-conf, the MWC is currently 5th in RPI. The MVC is currently 8th. The MWC finished higher than the MVC in RPI two out of the last five, and four out of the last ten seasons. The MVC went 4-5 against MWC this season.
                            "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
                              I'm usually not a big fan of change, but I could see this working out for the better. I wanna be in a more significant league, and this one is a step or two above ours. Only if Creigh town comes with us...
                              Agree about change. Leaving the MVC for any other conference (including the MWC or A10) would be a tough decision. Especially considering the great history of the MVC, the Valley of Death, the national championships, and all the great players and teams that have played in this conference over the years. For me, the only way we make the change is if the MVC reverts back to the dog years of the ninties, when the conference RPI was routinely in the teens (1999-00 MVC RPI 18).

Also agree that if it were to happen, WSU and CU should be a package deal. If for no other reason, CU is our biggest rival. There is no one we would rather beat than Cetin. Got to take them with us just so we have someone to hate.
                              "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

Since this is all in fun....add a couple more teams. Tulsa and Utah St along with WSU and CU. Now that's a conference I could get excited about.

Comment

Working...
                                X