Wichita State vs. Tulane Game Thread 3-3-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

Midtgaard is leading D1 in FG% by a wide margin. Udeze is 28th in the nation and leading the AAC.

Which of these guys was likely to make a pass to a post player

A. Burton
    B. Sherfield
    C. Stevenson
    D. None of the above
    Ok. I got to give it to you. Lol. Thats funny.

Comment

• Overall good game after a two week layoff. Still have a tendency to make things more interesting than they need to be but I’ve watched a few other Tulane games and they do that to almost everyone. They don’t quit, they turn you over, and they get to the free throw line and make them. That’s a recipe to hang in games.

Glad to see that the “we hate Mo Udeze” contingency is still being represented by one person. Not sure what we’d do if they weren’t around to post every time he makes a mistake. Double double? If he was any good he’d had a triple double.

Comment

Got to give some props to Sherfield. He's gone from 2.9 assists last year to 6.2 this year and 8.1 ppg to 18.0 ppg. Change of environment did wonders for his game.
        A lot of different situations there. One more year of experience, original coach he signed with, playing in a lesser league, playing almost 10 more minutes per game, he is the main go to guy. Generally, if Sherfield is able to be held in check, Nevada doesn't win. Lost both the last 2 games to Utah St 75-72 and 87-66. His line for both games: 17 pts (avg is 18 pg), 6-21 FG 28.6% (43.3% season), 13 assists (6.2 apg), but 12 TOs (2.7 pg).

Comment

• Someone asked a question about Mitt yesterday prior to the Tulane game on the pre-game show, and the success he is having at GCU. I don't remember the exact question, but Bob Hull answered it by saying (and I'm paraphrasing) that Mitt would be a very good player/rebounder in the Valley and the conference he currently plays in, but because of his lack of quickness, he had trouble on defense in the American Conference because the Centers were overall quicker, and Mitt had difficulties with that.

I haven't seen him play this year, but I tend to agree that the lack of competition that is the usual in conferences like the Valley, WAC, etc. would help his effectiveness in those leagues and limit it in our league. When he played in the American, and NIT against a Center who was a low post player he could defend down low, he was very good, but quicker players who could pull him away from the basket tended to give him more problems, and fouls, at best. But his large body was good down low on defense and rebounding. I still think he would probably a good compliment to Mo this year. Poor Bear just hasn't been an effective back up when he plays.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
            Someone asked a question about Mitt yesterday prior to the Tulane game on the pre-game show, and the success he is having at GCU. I don't remember the exact question, but Bob Hull answered it by saying (and I'm paraphrasing) that Mitt would be a very good player/rebounder in the Valley and the conference he currently plays in, but because of his lack of quickness, he had trouble on defense in the American Conference because the Centers were overall quicker, and Mitt had difficulties with that.

I haven't seen him play this year, but I tend to agree that the lack of competition that is the usual in conferences like the Valley, WAC, etc. would help his effectiveness in those leagues and limit it in our league. When he played in the American, and NIT against a Center who was a low post player he could defend down low, he was very good, but quicker players who could pull him away from the basket tended to give him more problems, and fouls, at best. But his large body was good down low on defense and rebounding. I still think he would probably a good compliment to Mo this year. Poor Bear just hasn't been an effective back up when he plays.
            I also think he would have been a good compliment to Mo, particularly with our lack of post rebounding (although it is getting better). Very small sample, but the 2 best teams GCU played were Arizona St and Colorado. He played 61 minutes, had 18 rebounds (9 each game), 6 fouls (3 each game), was 14-17 FG, and had 30 points (14 and 16).

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post

No. I don't think he is according to stats.

But guess who leads the country.

Visit ESPN for live scores, highlights and sports news. Stream exclusive games on ESPN+ and play fantasy sports.

I just hope he continues to stay away from the 3-point line. He has done a fine job in the last 6-8 games staying in his lane with his skillset.

Comment

• Mitt would have been a valuable player this year. Bob or Mike make the point on the pregame show that the team expected to get more out of Bilau this year, though. His injury and COVID (couldn’t get back to the states for rehab) has held him back from fulfilling that promise this year. If he sticks around and can get right I expect him to be a big piece of the team next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post

I just hope he continues to stay away from the 3-point line. He has done a fine job in the last 6-8 games staying in his lane with his skillset.
                  Mo hasn’t attempted a three since the second game of the year. Someone’s out of their lane and it isn’t Mo.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Mo hasn’t attempted a three since the second game of the year. Someone’s out of their lane and it isn’t Mo.
                    No sure about your cryptic outreach, but let me explain Udeze's in his lane skillset over the past 6-8 games. He hasn't been the black hole. He has done a better job recognizing he can't wheel and deal with 2 or 3 defenders within whispering distance. He also has done a great job of looking for the open seam when our guards penetrate for open dunks. He has also cut down on his turnovers because he has done what I have just summarized. As long as he doesn't shoot past 5 feet, he can be very effective as a serviceable post player. Sorry I wasn't very clear on the lane thing.

Comment

• Tyson fumbled the ball out of bounds in the waning seconds again. FFS! He's our Alpha dawg. That's just unacceptable, regardless

Comment

Midtgaard is leading D1 in FG% by a wide margin. Udeze is 28th in the nation and leading the AAC.

Which of these guys was likely to make a pass to a post player

A. Burton
                        B. Sherfield
                        C. Stevenson
                        D. None of the above

Got to give some props to Sherfield. He's gone from 2.9 assists last year to 6.2 this year and 8.1 ppg to 18.0 ppg. Change of environment did wonders for his game.
                        That's a great point. Hard for a big to develop or thrive when you know 4 of the 5 guards will never look to pass you the ball no matter what. We're seeing what Mo and Mitt can do when guards look for them and actually get them the ball.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post

No sure about your cryptic outreach, but let me explain Udeze's in his lane skillset over the past 6-8 games. He hasn't been the black hole. He has done a better job recognizing he can't wheel and deal with 2 or 3 defenders within whispering distance. He also has done a great job of looking for the open seam when our guards penetrate for open dunks. He has also cut down on his turnovers because he has done what I have just summarized. As long as he doesn't shoot past 5 feet, he can be very effective as a serviceable post player. Sorry I wasn't very clear on the lane thing.
                          Not sure of the relevance of shooting outside 5 feet since he hasn’t done it since his last three attempt in the second game of the season. Unless you mean you don’t want him to shoot free throws? I’m happy with him at the line this year at 75%.

So, the list of Mo complaints has been whittled down to needs to cut down on turnovers? That’s pretty good considering the avalanche of crap thrown at him early on.

If I had time it would be fun to create a timeline of Mo **** talk over the course of the year. Pretty sure he was only capable at the D2 level, not going to cut it in the American, needs to be gone etc etc etc.

Comment

Not sure of the relevance of shooting outside 5 feet since he hasn’t done it since his last three attempt in the second game of the season. Unless you mean you don’t want him to shoot free throws? I’m happy with him at the line this year at 75%.

So, the list of Mo complaints has been whittled down to needs to cut down on turnovers? That’s pretty good considering the avalanche of crap thrown at him early on.

If I had time it would be fun to create a timeline of Mo **** talk over the course of the year. Pretty sure he was only capable at the D2 level, not going to cut it in the American, needs to be gone etc etc etc.
                            To be fair, he didn't play much last year and was also hurt. And to start the year, he struggled big time getting going offensively. There were questions about his ability, and with good reason. It wasn't until the Mississippi game where he started to play well.

Since then, he's been a stud.
                            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

To be fair, he didn't play much last year and was also hurt. And to start the year, he struggled big time getting going offensively. There were questions about his ability, and with good reason. It wasn't until the Mississippi game where he started to play well.

Since then, he's been a stud.
                              Good points, although technically he scored in double figures in three of his first six games this year including 10 against OSU and 9 against Ole Miss which I am rounding up to double figures.

I just find it interesting that he seems to be held to such a high standard. Usually those with the most potential are held to the highest standard but the comments throughout the year, even one made during and after his big scoring run, seemed to indicate his potential was that of a lower level guy who wasn’t worthy of a roster spot.

Comment

Good points, although technically he scored in double figures in three of his first six games this year including 10 against OSU and 9 against Ole Miss which I am rounding up to double figures.

I just find it interesting that he seems to be held to such a high standard. Usually those with the most potential are held to the highest standard but the comments throughout the year, even one made during and after his big scoring run, seemed to indicate his potential was that of a lower level guy who wasn’t worthy of a roster spot.
                                He is serviceable. He has nice anticipation when guards penetrate to get in position to score. His FT shooting is incredible this year. Where he is a liability is in defense. Cross abused him last night and he isn’t the only one to do so. He has improved his rebounding lately so maybe he has found something there.

Comment

Working...
                                X