Maybe another pressing issue...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe another pressing issue...

.... who replaces Mike Kennedy when he retires? Maybe not in his plans at all, but he IS 71....
    I’m very comfortable with his low key , low homerism style.... might be hard to replace...
    if torture is your game, give the KU hack a five minute listen.... worst case of announcer voice ever....

Shane Dennis although I think Shane likes what he is doing know and is quite good at it. I think Shane is quite good and perhaps at least as low in homerism as Mike. Perhaps more so.

I don't see it is a pressing isssue.

Comment

Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
      .... who replaces Mike Kennedy when he retires? Maybe not in his plans at all, but he IS 71....
      I’m very comfortable with his low key , low homerism style.... might be hard to replace...
      if torture is your game, give the KU hack a five minute listen.... worst case of announcer voice ever....
      Brian Haney is pretty bad, they chose poorly. Haven’t heard many clucks speak very highly of his PBP talents.
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Shane Dennis is he wants it, which I assume he does. Who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          Shane Dennis although I think Shane likes what he is doing know and is quite good at it. I think Shane is quite good and perhaps at least as low in homerism as Mike. Perhaps more so.

I don't see it is a pressing isssue.
          Homerism, love that word, is a requirement for the voice of any school.
          A walking encyclopedia of the university athletics as well as state high schools and knowledge of all big time recruits is also desired.
          If any of you have the opportunity to hear craig way on an Austin broadcast or even a talk show, he is amazing. But when calling hoops, his color guy has a single description of everything, "good job". It's so annoying that I can't listen. I believe he says good job every minute of each game. Good job scoring the ball, good job getting to the free throw line, good job, getting position, good job getting that pass off, etc., etc.......
          Last edited by Atxshoxfan; February 6, 2021, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
            Shane Dennis is he wants it, which I assume he does. Who knows.
            Right now Shane is doing most of the ESPN+ home games for Shocker Men's BB, Women's BB and Volleyball. I listen to him far more than I listen to Mike Kennedy these days. Shane is also great when he calls Shocker Baseball. Shane may or may not think moving into the radio stuff is a step up. A lot may depend on how much he enjoys traveling. I have no idea what the financial impact it would have Shane.

If Shane is not interested Steve Strain who does the radio work for Shocker women's BB team and softball would probably be interested but not sure that would be the way to go. I think he is a level below Mike and Shane although he isn't terrible. IMO he is more of a homer than Mike and Shane are.

I have a feeling Mike will go well into his 70's as long as his health is good. And he seems pretty healthy.

Comment

I liked Ted Woodward when he called the women's games.

Comment

Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

Homerism, love that word, is a requirement for the voice of any school.
                A walking encyclopedia of the university athletics as well as state high schools and knowledge of all big time recruits is also desired.
                If any of you have the opportunity to hear craig way on an Austin broadcast or even a talk show, he is amazing. But when calling hoops, his color guy has a single description of everything, "good job". It's so annoying that I can't listen. I believe he says good job every minute of each game. Good job scoring the ball, good job getting to the free throw line, good job, getting position, good job getting that pass off, etc., etc.......
                Let me clarify my version of “ homerism”.... I DO think it’s part of the job to broadcast from a home team of view but it is a thin line... I happen to listen to the entire broadcast of the OU/ KU game as we drove across the state two weeks ago... every anti KU call, the fouls disparity, all supposed injustices were amplified... I don’t like their announcers anyway, but even my wife commented “ does KU do anything wrong in their eyes?”....
                I actually like the style of the KSU guy... you know who pays his check but he does not beat you over the head with it

Comment

Of the many things I respect about Mike, one of them is that you will NEVER hear him refer to the Shockers as WE. I once read that Dave remembered Mike telling him that when they started working together on the broadcasts.

I’ve heard WE used on broadcasts for KU basketball and OU football. Mike’s professionalism put those guys to shame.

I don’t have the history with WSU that some of you do, but I’m going to be really sad when Mike hangs up his headphones for the last time.
                  78-65

Comment

With Mike, I can actually tell where the ball is on the court and which player has it.
                    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                    ---------------------------------------
                    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

I have actually had this convo with Mike. As long as his health is good and his voice remains broadcast worthy, he is not going anywhere. He is so unique and special. His natural knowledge about sports in general and especially WSU is off the charts. Don't ever get into a music trivia game with him. As posters have already stated, Mike is a reasonable homer. One of the things he taught me about broadcasting is what another poster has already mentioned..."don't refer to the team you are broadcasting for as "We." Mike is a true professional, and respected not only locally, but he is known by the best of the best of mainstream broadcasting icons. We won't have to worry about who replaces him anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
                        Let me clarify my version of “ homerism”.... I DO think it’s part of the job to broadcast from a home team of view but it is a thin line... I happen to listen to the entire broadcast of the OU/ KU game as we drove across the state two weeks ago... every anti KU call, the fouls disparity, all supposed injustices were amplified... I don’t like their announcers anyway, but even my wife commented “ does KU do anything wrong in their eyes?”....
                        I actually like the style of the KSU guy... you know who pays his check but he does not beat you over the head with it
                        One of the few drawbacks of message boards can be the anonymity. I wish most of you knew molly jabali the way I do, that way you could really appreciate his knowledge, insight and pure love and joy he brings to and for sports. He defines unique, and is an amazing person, as is his entire family. Stealing a quote from a former Shocker champion..... I would not be the man I am today if it were not for molly jabali .

To echo SHOXAAC the conversations I've had, although brief, with Mike lead me to believe he'll remain the voice of the Shockers for a very long time. I would assume Shane Dennis would be interested when the day comes but I don't know Shane at all or if he even plans to be in the area. He's not from ICT is he?

I didn't think it was possible to find someone worse than Bob Davis, the old Ku play by play guy....but damn if they really didn't give it the old college try. I met Haney once, and he really seems like a good guy but combine his style, over the top homerism and just the fact that it's ku and well.....blech.

Now, compare to KState. Mitch Holthus was spectacular and a perfect fit. And while Wyatt Thompson has a different style compared to Mitch, I think he does a fantastic job while still being a Wildcat guy. Stan Webber has come a long way. Didn't care for him early, but he was learning and is much improved.

Nothing personal, but I would like Mike to be able to add a different color guy (not that I don't like Bob and Dave, but 6 out of the last 7 years I would have enjoyed an additional voice) perhaps a former player guest that's still in the area.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                          I don't know Shane at all or if he even plans to be in the area. He's not from ICT is he?
                          I believe Shane was born in Ft. Scott, Kansas and went to Uniontown High School which is about 20 mile west of Ft. Scott. And, of course, Shane is in the Shocker Sports Hall of Fame (inducted in 2004).

Uniontown is currently a 2A school with an enrollment of about 120. I've always liked seeing the small town kids have success at higher levels.
                          Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 7, 2021, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Nothing personal, but I would like Mike to be able to add a different color guy (not that I don't like Bob and Dave, but 6 out of the last 7 years I would have enjoyed an additional voice) perhaps a former player guest that's still in the area.

"In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

One of the few drawbacks of message boards can be the anonymity. I wish most of you knew molly jabali the way I do, that way you could really appreciate his knowledge, insight and pure love and joy he brings to and for sports. He defines unique, and is an amazing person, as is his entire family. Stealing a quote from a former Shocker champion..... I would not be the man I am today if it were not for molly jabali .

To echo SHOXAAC the conversations I've had, although brief, with Mike lead me to believe he'll remain the voice of the Shockers for a very long time. I would assume Shane Dennis would be interested when the day comes but I don't know Shane at all or if he even plans to be in the area. He's not from ICT is he?

I didn't think it was possible to find someone worse than Bob Davis, the old Ku play by play guy....but damn if they really didn't give it the old college try. I met Haney once, and he really seems like a good guy but combine his style, over the top homerism and just the fact that it's ku and well.....blech.

Now, compare to KState. Mitch Holthus was spectacular and a perfect fit. And while Wyatt Thompson has a different style compared to Mitch, I think he does a fantastic job while still being a Wildcat guy. Stan Webber has come a long way. Didn't care for him early, but he was learning and is much improved.

thank you for the kind words... not worthy of that, but HIGHLY appreciative... blessings to you, good friend....

Comment

Working...
                              X