Wichita State vs. Cincinnati Pregame Discussion 1-27-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wichita State vs. Cincinnati Pregame Discussion 1-27-21

WICHITA STATE (8-4, 4-2) vs Cincinnati (3-7, 1-4)
    WEDNESDAY, JAN 27, 2021 | 5:00 P.M. CT
    CINCINNATI, OH / FIFTH THIRD ARENA
    TV: ESPN+
    RADIO: KEYN 103.7 FM (GoShockers.com/Listen)
    LAST MEETING: JANUARY 10, 2021. WSU 82 - CIN 76
    GAME RECAP
    : Freshman Ricky Council IV scored a career-high 23 points and the Shockers snapped a six-game losing streak against American Athletic Conference rival Cincinnati, 82-76.

Council's total was the highest for a Shocker true freshman since Feb. 10, 2009 when Toure' Murry put up 23 points -- including the game-winner at the buzzer -- in a 62-61 victory over Missouri State.

Morris Udeze scored 18 points to go with 16 from Tyson Etienne to help Wichita State (7-3, 3-1) keep pace with conference leaders Houston (5-1) and Tulsa (4-1) in the loss column.

Former Topeka Hayden standout Zach Harvey scored 19 points to lead Cincinnati (3-7, 1-4), which had won all three American era visits to Charles Koch Arena – two of them by a single point.

Instead of settling for jumpers as they had in past matchups against the Bearcats, the Shockers spent most of the second half in attack mode. Council and fellow guards Tyson Etienne and Craig Porter Jr. took turns driving the lane for baskets and/or Bearcat fouls. The trio combined to draw 15.

Up 49-46, Wichita State scored 33 points over the last nine minutes of the game to push a three-point lead to as many as 16 down the stretch. Etienne (14 points), Udeze (8) and Council (8) combined for all but three points during that burst.

WSU attempted just 12 three-pointers – fewest by a Shocker team since Jan. 17, 2015 when they made 4-of-11 tries in a 20-point win at Evansville.

The Shockers went to the line 34 times to Cincinnati's 23 and outscored the visitors 23-16. They also converted 15 Bearcat turnovers into 28 points.

Council sank 8-for-11 shots from the field, canned 7-of-11 free throws and grabbed a team-high six rebounds.

Etienne (6-of-13, 2-for-4 from three) handed out a team-high three assists to go with five rebounds.

Udeze dunked three times in an 8-for-12 shooting performance.

Led by Council's 23 points and six-each from Porter and Clarence Jackson, the Shockers bench supplied 41 points. Reserve accounted for two-third of the first-half scoring to send WSU into the break with a 30-29 advantage.

All-time the Shockers are now 9-10 against Cincinnati inside the Roundhouse. Their last win came in 1981 behind 16 points from Antoine Carr. The victory narrows Cincinnati's overall series lead to 24-13.

Let’s see how we bounce back. Win here and we’re right back on track for good things. Obviously the effort we saw against Memphis isn’t going to get it done.

Ball screens killed us in that game, especially the second half. It was a failure all the way down the chain of responsibility.

Standing around on and looking at the guy with the ball on offense isn’t going to get it done. Trying to draw a foul instead of trying to make a basket isn’t going to get it done. Playing one on one hero ball won’t get it done. Bricking wide (air balling?) open shots...you know.

There’s a stretch of the season almost every year where the team looks like they’ve never played basketball before. It’s important to not let that snow ball.

Comment

Is CINCY done with covid? Or are they still a high risk for being cancelled?

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
        Let’s see how we bounce back. Win here and we’re right back on track for good things. Obviously the effort we saw against Memphis isn’t going to get it done.

Ball screens killed us in that game, especially the second half. It was a failure all the way down the chain of responsibility.

Standing around on and looking at the guy with the ball on offense isn’t going to get it done. Trying to draw a foul instead of trying to make a basket isn’t going to get it done. Playing one on one hero ball won’t get it done. Bricking wide (air balling?) open shots...you know.

There’s a stretch of the season almost every year where the team looks like they’ve never played basketball before. It’s important to not let that snow ball.
        I agree. If I could add one thing. It is that the shocks got to show some MENTAL TOUGHNESS to do those things that you say they need to do to win.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
          It's postponed now

Comment

Yikes. Just read where Cincy game is off. They say it will be rescheduled.

Comment

And the answer is NO, it is not.

Comment

Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post
                Yikes. Just read where Cincy game is off. They say it will be rescheduled.
                Well they are not facing reality. A lot of these games will not be made up.

AAC scheduling has been for a normal year to try and maximize tv time by spreading games out. Not made to be adjusted on the fly.

Comment

I’m getting sick of this. Because you know what, it’s not that hard to NOT get covid if you are smart about it. Look at the NBA. Not near the level of cancellations. Many schools/student athletes just not taking precautions seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post
                    I’m getting sick of this. Because you know what, it’s not that hard to NOT get covid if you are smart about it. Look at the NBA. Not near the level of cancellations. Many schools/student athletes just not taking precautions seriously.
                    I'm sick of it too, and a lot of college kids probably don't take precautions, but a lot of people who have had Covid don't know where they got it because they took precautions. They didn't even go out very much, and wore masks while in public places around people. I've heard of people who didn't even go out, and they tested positive. I don't know the answer but I hope that vaccines for all come quickly, and most people take them.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I'm sick of it too, and a lot of college kids probably don't take precautions, but a lot of people who have had Covid don't know where they got it because they took precautions. They didn't even go out very much, and wore masks while in public places around people. I've heard of people who didn't even go out, and they tested positive. I don't know the answer but I hope that vaccines for all come quickly, and most people take them.
                      Shockm, you can not trust anything or anybody. My wife, due to previous illnesses has virtually no immune system, so we have had to be extra cautious. And that includes family members and best friends whom will not take the vaccine even if eligible. My wife and I have fortunately now taken the 1st Vaccine and take the 2nd Vaccine shot next week. I have always been suspicious of everything (food, cans, bottles, take out food in containers, mail, newspapers, etc, and sanitize everything that comes into the house. Yeah, I know I am excessive and compulsive, but I have 3 friends and two relatives who have caught the virus. Most from friends who did not know they had the virus. All lived, but some went through hell. Good luck to all and stay safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

It's postponed now

Comment

Does anybody know if the team flew out to CINCY? Or did they have enough lead time?

what should happen is WSU should play temple.

Comment

Does anybody know if the team flew out to CINCY? Or did they have enough lead time?

what should happen is WSU should play temple.
                            The game isn't for 2 more days. I would be amazed if they flew out 2 days ahead of time. They normally fly the day before or sometimes the day of.

Comment

Gotta schedule somebody. Don’t care if it’s Southeast High School.

Sdhedule somebody. Can’t go 2 weeks between games.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                              X