Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Congratulations, you just beat Wichita State...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congratulations, you just beat Wichita State...

I've noticed a strange trend that continued tonight after losing to Ill State.

It seems that quite often when a team beats us, they act like they just slayed some major dragon. Tonight it was a player diving stomach first on the floor. Drake, UMKC, UTA all acted like they beat a top 25 team. It happened a LOT last year too, home AND away. When Drake beat us in Des Moines last year, you would have thought they won the lottery.

When we beat LSU, we didn't explode (either year) like that.

I thought maybe it had something to do with our student section. All game long the student section is in the face of the opposing team, heckling them and so forth. Are the students able to get to these guys enough that they feel that they have to flaunt a victory? (Is it good that they can get in the players' heads or are the students driving the opposing players to give that extra 10% that beats us?)

I've never been much of excessive celebration after a win, especially when you aren't an underdog like Ill State was tonight.

Thoughts? I'll hang up and listen off the air...

It's probably the crowd in general. Home court advantage can easily work both ways, fire up the home team and the away team. I noticed how every time the crowd would get on its feet (happens other games, too) Illinois State would score right away.

Comment

Re: Congratulations, you just beat Wichita State...

Originally posted by Rosewood

It seems that quite often when a team beats us, they act like they just slayed some major dragon. Tonight it was a player diving stomach first on the floor. Drake, UMKC, UTA all acted like they beat a top 25 team. It happened a LOT last year too, home AND away. When Drake beat us in Des Moines last year, you would have thought they won the lottery.

When we beat LSU, we didn't explode (either year) like that.

I thought maybe it had something to do with our student section. All game long the student section is in the face of the opposing team, heckling them and so forth. Are the students able to get to these guys enough that they feel that they have to flaunt a victory? (Is it good that they can get in the players' heads or are the students driving the opposing players to give that extra 10% that beats us?)

I've never been much of excessive celebration after a win, especially when you aren't an underdog like Ill State was tonight.

Thoughts? I'll hang up and listen off the air...
      Dennis is our next caller on the line. Do you have a question for the coach?

I was surprised by the belly buster at mid-court, but I am fine with it. It does surprise me that opponents are so gleeful, when they beat the Shockers. After all, the Shockers are not much to write home about.

Maybe it is the road win, which they are so excited about.

I will hang up and listen off the air.

Comment

I don't think any player or team can ever be blamed for how they react to a win. Every team will be different.

Maybe the guy played his heart out all game and that was his emotional release after coming away with the victory. Illinois State has had an incredible start this season, and at this point have to be viewed as possible favorites for the Valley. Congrats to the Redbirds.

Comment

That is an interesting point.

Thinking about a lot of our wins on the road the last two years, I can't help but think that we acted like we've been there before and like we were expected to win. No biggie for us.

For a team like Illinois State, they haven't had success in a while. So I can understand how they acted like they haven't been there before.. because.. well ... they haven't.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

One of our players did a belly slide after the game? Who was it? I admit that's pretty surprising...I cant speak for some of the other teams but with regard to the 'Birds, if there was any big celebrating going on tonight it's due to a combination of several things:

1. Road wins. We havent had many in the last few years, and we just got our 4th straight. We havent won 4 straight road games in about 10 years, maybe longer.
            2. Valley wins. Any win in the MVC is good as we all know, but especially winning on the road @CU and @WSU back to back is cause for some joy.
            3. Relief. We didnt play well at all tonight and still manged to pull out a win in arguably the toughest environment we'll play in all season. That's gonna cause some guys to blow off a little steam.
            4. Excitement. We're off to a good start and now we get to play the next 4 games at home. The team is pumped.

Just my 2 cents. Being a huge fan of this team and knowing many of the players personally, I can safely say that any celebrating/over-joyed actions, etc. is in no way to spite your team or crowd or to "get back at them" for anything. Our team is very hungry and determined, but they are a humble group.

As for the game, it was ugly on both sides but it was yet another typical hardfought, tough, gritty Shocker/Redbird battle. I expected nothing less and will expect more of the same when you guys come to Normal in a couple weeks.
            I am a diehard Illinois State Redbird fan first, and an MVC supporter, diplomat, and ambassador of good will second.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom
              One of our players did a belly slide after the game? Who was it? I admit that's pretty surprising...
              It was #5 IIRC.

Comment

Re: Congratulations, you just beat Wichita State...

Originally posted by Rosewood

It seems that quite often when a team beats us, they act like they just slayed some major dragon. Tonight it was a player diving stomach first on the floor.
                I don't have problem with the players celebrating. That why they play the game to win - they should be able to celebrate.

Now if the ISU fans had stormed the floor... :lol:

Comment

It was Richardson. He slid across the center court logo, which reminded me of Terrell Owens. But perhaps that part was not intentional.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                    It was Richardson. He slid across the center court logo, which reminded me of Terrell Owens. But perhaps that part was not intentional.
                    Well as I said in my earlier post thats pretty surprising, and even moreso coming from a guy like Boo. He's really not the animated type like that, but again, could just be blowing off some steam.

Or who knows, maybe they had an inside bet/joke or something. Maybe Boo told someone on the team "if we win, I'll slide across the floor", etc. Sounds like a stretch but players say & do stuff like that.
                    I am a diehard Illinois State Redbird fan first, and an MVC supporter, diplomat, and ambassador of good will second.

Comment

I think when teams get really excited about beating us it just shows that they respect our program. Yea were not on top of our game right now so people are excited to get a win from us.

Comment

Originally posted by fuball7
                        I think when teams get really excited about beating us it just shows that they respect our program. Yea were not on top of our game right now so people are excited to get a win from us.
                        That has alot to do with it too. It is no secret that there is a ton of respect between ISU & WSU.

Comment

I don't mind the excessive celebrations at the "chuck." When we get beat at home and visiting teams start acting like they expected to win and have done it several times before, that is when I begin to worry.

Comment

Winning at Wichita State is not an easy feat. No matter if the Shockers are down or not.

That's a tribute to the fans that make it such a difficult place to play.

I didn't see the celebration by Boo Richardson. He is from Kansas City, KS, so I don't know if that factored in.

I do know Jans played a part in his recruitment. ISU hadn't won in Koch since 2001.

Had MB and or Clemente played, things would have been different.

Good luck against Bradley on Saturday. We will be cheering for ya in that one. :D

Comment

Almost forgot about Jans...that couldve had something to do with Boo's celebrating too. Just a little good-natured ribbing toward the guy who recruited him to ISU. Also, as is mentioned in this article, Boo won an NJCAA regional game at Koch so that couldve played part in it as well. Probably a combination of these things, plus all that stuff I mentioned above.

Comment

Working...
                              X