Wichita State vs. Tulsa Pregame Discussion 1-13-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wichita State vs. Tulsa Pregame Discussion 1-13-21

WICHITA STATE (7-3, 3-1) vs TULSA (7-3, 4-1)
    WEDNESDAY, JAN 13, 2021 | 6:00 P.M. CT
    WICHITA, KS/ KOCH ARENA
    TV: ESPN+
    RADIO: KEYN 103.7 FM (GoShockers.com/Listen)
    LAST MEETING: DECEMBER 15, 2020. WSU 69 - TULSA 65
    GAME RECAP:
    Wichita State built a big lead early then made just enough plays to hang onto it in a 69-65 road win over Tulsa at the Reynolds Center.

Ricky Council IV and Alterique Gilbert scored 13 points apiece for the Shockers (2-2, 1-0 American Athletic Conference) who led by 17 points late in the first half but were sweating in the final 30 seconds after the host Golden Hurricanes pulled to within two.

Brandon Rachal's 17 points and 11 rebounds paced Tulsa (1-3, 0-1), which was playing for the first time in 10 days after hitting the pause button last week.

Wichita State improved to 6-4 all-time at the Reynolds Center and defeated Tulsa for the sixth time in seven AAC era meetings.

No fans were allowed in attendance.

Gilbert posted his fourth straight double-figure scoring game to go with four assists and two steals in 32 turnover-free minutes.

It was a breakthrough performance from Council – a 6-6 freshman guard -- who narrowly missed a double-double with 13 points and eight rebounds in just 16 minutes of action.

Trey Wade added 11 points and seven rebounds, and Isaiah Poor Bear-Chandler chipped in a season-high 10 points and five rebounds off the bench.

Junior guard Craig Porter Jr. made a splash in his first extended run. The Vincennes (Ind.) transfer missed the first two games and clocked less than five minutes against Oklahoma State but played in crunch-time at Tulsa, ending with four points, six rebounds and five assists in 25 minutes.

Wichita State committed just nine turnovers and out-rebounded Tulsa 42-37.

Eight different Shockers hit a three in a 10-for-26 performance. WSU shot 41 percent from the field but made just 9-of-17 free throws.

Tulsa shot 41.8 percent from the field but connected on only 8-of-31 three-point tries (.258) and 11-of-21 free throws (.524).

Tyson had 4 points in only 5 attempts at Tulsa. Not sure if their defense did such a good job on him or the fact that he had not yet really inserted himself as an offense leader. This is probably one of the biggest things to watch in the rematch.

Edit: I see he only played 24 minutes and had 4 fouls. I would expect him to more of a factor this time around.

Comment

Big game.

Next 5 games will likely tell a lot about this team. Tulsa here, @ SMU, @ Memphis, USF here and @ Cincinnati. I can see anything from 5-0 to 0-5.

After that, healthy, we should finish 8-3 at least or better.

Comment

WSU caught Tulsa at the perfect time for game 1. Nothing fair or unfair about that; just the truth.

This game, more than any other so far, might be the true test to see where this team is.

I’m starting to become more optimistic, but still not expecting wins at this point.
        The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
          Big game.

Next 5 games will likely tell a lot about this team. Tulsa here, @ SMU, @ Memphis, USF here and @ Cincinnati. I can see anything from 5-0 to 0-5.

After that, healthy, we should finish 8-3 at least or better.
          But how would Drake handle that stretch?

Jokes aside, you’re right this is a huge stretch. There’s no way we’re going 0-5 barring catastrophic injury. 5-0 is more likely than 0-5 but I put that at less than 5% chance.

I’m including the home game vs UCF in this run of games that will go a long way to determine where we finish.

Comment

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
            WSU caught Tulsa at the perfect time for game 1. Nothing fair or unfair about that; just the truth.

This game, more than any other so far, might be the true test to see where this team is.

I’m starting to become more optimistic, but still not expecting wins at this point.
            I dunno. I thought the game @ Houston was a pretty good measuring stick. We came close in a place where we've had really bad games with "better players". Tulsa is a scrappy team and a lot like us. I'm going Shox by 5.

Comment

My analysis of this game is this:

Frank Haith coaches Tulsa.....he is a below average coach( I can only guess that he has a Mike Miller to his Penny)

IHCIB will get his second win over a man who is stealing a salary...

Comment

Playing on your home court is still an advantage, albeit a small one without a full house.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

But how would Drake handle that stretch?

Jokes aside, you’re right this is a huge stretch. There’s no way we’re going 0-5 barring catastrophic injury. 5-0 is more likely than 0-5 but I put that at less than 5% chance.

I’m including the home game vs UCF in this run of games that will go a long way to determine where we finish.
                  Probably 1-4 for the Geese. They would be thrilled to be 2-3 against that gauntlet.

We'll be underdogs for sure twice on the road, likely all three times and favored by I'm guessing 2X Wednesday. The other team we trailed 23-10 around the under 8 at their place and had to pray they missed a FT to send it to overtime.

There are no gimmies in this stretch. I do think and am proud of the way these guys continue to get better and improve.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

I dunno. I thought the game @ Houston was a pretty good measuring stick. We came close in a place where we've had really bad games with "better players". Tulsa is a scrappy team and a lot like us. I'm going Shox by 5.
                    I expected a loss against Houston, this game that isn’t the necessarily the case.

Also, Houston beat us with their best player no longer on their team. Now, that’s not WSU’s fault he’s no longer there, but it’s still a true statement.

Tulsa will be at full health and on a regular practice schedule this time. I feel both teams are on a similar level. That’s why I say this will be a true test.
                    The Assman

Comment

The ESPN Matchup Predictor isn't buying any Shocker stock. 1-4 over the next 5 and 5-10 over the remaining 15.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                        The ESPN Matchup Predictor isn't buying any Shocker stock. 1-4 over the next 5 and 5-10 over the remaining 15.
                        KenPom has us projected at 2-3. Since we’ve jumped 20+ spots I tend to think that is low but it’s possible with three away games against teams that are rated around us or better than us.
                        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

What did ESPN predict for us going into the year?
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

If I remember right it gave us a 10% chance of winning at Ole Miss too

Comment

I'm calling Bull Shite on the predictor 3-2

Comment

Working...
                              X