Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs. #11 Houston Game Thread 1-6-21

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
    This game was right there for the taking until about 3 minutes in to the second half. Credit to Houston for making defensive adjustments to completely take the Shox offense out. Defense changed and the Shox switched to more of a one on one game and that never works out well. Especially when you can't get an offensive rebound to save your life. Rebounding needs to be THE emphasis going forward. I thought Bilau brought energy but then disappeared on the bench for some reason. I really like the effort and energy that IPBC brings. He needs to be starting with Udeze coming off the bench and possibly even after JB. Udeze cannot figure out what he needs to do on defense to rebound.

    DD and TE were money as usual. Trey needs to stop taking threes, period.
    Offensive rebounding was 11 to 15 in favor of Houston so I don’t consider that a problem. In fact we were only out rebounded by six for the game. Against a team like Houston on the road one might consider that a success. Although, I’ll admit there were a handful of possessions where I thought we should have corralled the rebound but didn’t.

    I agree it might be time to consider starting Poor Bear.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

      Offensive rebounding was 11 to 15 in favor of Houston so I don’t consider that a problem. In fact we were only out rebounded by six for the game. Against a team like Houston on the road one might consider that a success. Although, I’ll admit there were a handful of possessions where I thought we should have corralled the rebound but didn’t.

      I agree it might be time to consider starting Poor Bear.
      Good point on the rebounding. I think my concern was more about the timing of some of the crucial offensive rebounds in the second half. It seemed like at the most critical moments, Gorham shredded the Shox with his effort on the offensive boards. Not used to seeing that from a Shocker team. Hard to criticize much honestly, because I was overall pleased with the effort (particularly for the first 25 minutes or so).

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Shockm View Post

        That's a possible third option. I don't know which one it is. Another part of this is that IB was the Bigs Coach in the past, so he may have more insight into all of the bigs (example: one may be a harder worker than another), or he may have a bias for MU and a little less so for Poor Bear. I think the bigger transgression (or at least I think is easier to notice) is that PB is playing better than MU and deserves more minutes. PB's defense has been good, and he is playing with confidence.
        With the inconsistencies inside, I'd like to see those playing well be rewarded for that game, and maybe given the first chances in the next. Mo has had some games where he's played well and Poor Bear hasn't. Poor Bear has played better than Mo at times. Jo has had games where he looked pretty good but then gets lost on the bench even if the other two are bad that night. I just don't understand the logic behind it.

        It's one thing if Tyson has an off night or is struggling, as he's proven himself to be consistent if not dynamic more often than not and still contributes elsewhere. Mo, Poor Bear and Jo have not accomplished that. Find what works on any given night and run with it. And Jo is easily the best passing of our bigs and it's not even close. Mo is a black hole and he's not good enough offensively to get away with that. Poor Bear is finding himself. My biggest issue with him is he doesn't play strong and doesn't do well with contact. And if that's who he is, that's fine. But if he can find his fit where he can contribute somewhat consistently, he and the team will be better off. I think Jo easily has the most upside and needs court time to get there. I think Mo has more to offer, but I'm not sure if we'll ever see it or not. I think he could be a solid backup for us, but we don't have a solid starter yet and that's a problem. Though he has a ways to go to get to solid backup status in my mind and may very well never reach his ceiling.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Downsizing Government - Part of the Cato Institute
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        Cato Institute - A libertarian take on the issues
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        MVCFans Alternative, Where ALL Voices Can Be Heard - Come join the party

        Comment


        • Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

          Good point on the rebounding. I think my concern was more about the timing of some of the crucial offensive rebounds in the second half. It seemed like at the most critical moments, Gorham shredded the Shox with his effort on the offensive boards. Not used to seeing that from a Shocker team. Hard to criticize much honestly, because I was overall pleased with the effort (particularly for the first 25 minutes or so).
          I don't care as much about the numbers if the effort is there. Too many of Houston's offensive boards had our guys just standing and watching. Or at least too many of our guys. No effort to put a body on someone. In some cases, guys didn't even make an effort for the ball. Those are the things that have to be fixed to win games like this. Putting forth effort, regardless of execution, shouldn't be too much to ask for.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Downsizing Government - Part of the Cato Institute
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          Cato Institute - A libertarian take on the issues
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          MVCFans Alternative, Where ALL Voices Can Be Heard - Come join the party

          Comment


          • Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

            I don't care as much about the numbers if the effort is there. Too many of Houston's offensive boards had our guys just standing and watching. Or at least too many of our guys. No effort to put a body on someone. In some cases, guys didn't even make an effort for the ball. Those are the things that have to be fixed to win games like this. Putting forth effort, regardless of execution, shouldn't be too much to ask for.
            AMEN

            Comment


            • There were definitely times we could have done better on the boards but I don't think you get those statistical results against a team like Houston if the effort isn’t there for most of the game.

              Of course the point still stands that it needs to be there on every possession to beat a team like that.

              Both transition defense and rebounding have improved significantly since game 1. If we continue on this trajectory I think there is a good chance we finish top 3 and are in the at large convo.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

                With the inconsistencies inside, I'd like to see those playing well be rewarded for that game, and maybe given the first chances in the next. Mo has had some games where he's played well and Poor Bear hasn't. Poor Bear has played better than Mo at times. Jo has had games where he looked pretty good but then gets lost on the bench even if the other two are bad that night. I just don't understand the logic behind it.

                It's one thing if Tyson has an off night or is struggling, as he's proven himself to be consistent if not dynamic more often than not and still contributes elsewhere. Mo, Poor Bear and Jo have not accomplished that. Find what works on any given night and run with it. And Jo is easily the best passing of our bigs and it's not even close. Mo is a black hole and he's not good enough offensively to get away with that. Poor Bear is finding himself. My biggest issue with him is he doesn't play strong and doesn't do well with contact. And if that's who he is, that's fine. But if he can find his fit where he can contribute somewhat consistently, he and the team will be better off. I think Jo easily has the most upside and needs court time to get there. I think Mo has more to offer, but I'm not sure if we'll ever see it or not. I think he could be a solid backup for us, but we don't have a solid starter yet and that's a problem. Though he has a ways to go to get to solid backup status in my mind and may very well never reach his ceiling.
                I think much or most of this is right. I like PB better than you and think that he has been playing best the past few games with UH his best. I’ve thought JB looked like a “fish out of water” in his first games. That’s why it was disastrous for him not to play against ESU. I did think he looked better last night and that one pass was really good. The only thing we don’t know about JB is whether he has a good grasp of the offense which IB sees everyday in practice. We just don’t know why he wasn’t inserted again which could be because of IB’s bad decisions. Maybe a call or text into IB’s Coaches show would be a good idea. See how he answers it.

                Comment


                • One of the things that drives me nuts is when Poor Bear shoots one of his jump shots---10-15 feet away or more. He shoots the shot and then holds his pose with arms high above his head...when he should follow his shot. And, even if the ball were to come back towards him, he's not ready to rebound.

                  Comment


                  • Hi is Joerg,

                    Hi all Shox fan, is your frien Joerg. 2020 was full crap year;;; Joerg stayin alone time fear this COVID crap!! Now is new 2021 so, time for top 3 best Joerg treats - #1Shox #2 burbon #3 bean soop. celbrate 2021 good year, go New Coch IBrown!

                    PS;;; what is this EPSN ++?? Is sit to watch Shox vs. Hostone Cogars loosers last night;;;;Joerg turn the EPSN and what? NOShox! Joerg brake chair cuz is ripped off! All fan is KNOW - EPSN is ripped off!

                    thanks is Joerg.

                    Comment


                    • Winnable game last night, with more production from our frontline players who knows. Still see a lot of positives as far as athletic ability with our core players, and our chemistry looks better than last year. Dex had his best game of the year and PoorBear had some good minutes. We proved we can play with Houston and if we keep away from extended scoring droughts we win. Need to take care of Cinncy this weekend

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Joerg View Post
                        Hi is Joerg,

                        Hi all Shox fan, is your frien Joerg. 2020 was full crap year;;; Joerg stayin alone time fear this COVID crap!! Now is new 2021 so, time for top 3 best Joerg treats - #1Shox #2 burbon #3 bean soop. celbrate 2021 good year, go New Coch IBrown!

                        PS;;; what is this EPSN ++?? Is sit to watch Shox vs. Hostone Cogars loosers last night;;;;Joerg turn the EPSN and what? NOShox! Joerg brake chair cuz is ripped off! All fan is KNOW - EPSN is ripped off!

                        thanks is Joerg.
                        Thanks Joerg. Glad to see you made it through so far. It might just be me but I think your English is getting better. BTW, please share your favorite Bean Soup recipe. Sounds delish. Go Shox!

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

                          I don't care as much about the numbers if the effort is there. Too many of Houston's offensive boards had our guys just standing and watching. Or at least too many of our guys. No effort to put a body on someone. In some cases, guys didn't even make an effort for the ball. Those are the things that have to be fixed to win games like this. Putting forth effort, regardless of execution, shouldn't be too much to ask for.
                          Especially is some of those same players are going to Cadillac it on offense

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                            Another great article from Taylor today. He should be required reading for all WSU fans. I know I learn a lot from his perspective and game breakdowns.
                            I'm all for required reading as long as it's not being a paywall.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post

                              I'm all for required reading as long as it's not being a paywall.
                              I understand not wanting to pay full price for an Eagle subscription just to read his articles. I usually just subscribe/cancel before and after bball season.

                              I’m willing to pay for things I consider valuable. He really does a great job and is worth every penny.

                              He recently advertised a deal on his Twitter account that allowed access to sports only for like 3 months for...I don’t know, less than five dollars. It was crazy cheap. Might check that out if you’re interested.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

                                I understand not wanting to pay full price for an Eagle subscription just to read his articles. I usually just subscribe/cancel before and after bball season.

                                I’m willing to pay for things I consider valuable. He really does a great job and is worth every penny.

                                He recently advertised a deal on his Twitter account that allowed access to sports only for like 3 months for...I don’t know, less than five dollars. It was crazy cheap. Might check that out if you’re interested.
                                The KC star is not going to get a red cent from me
                                When you believe in something, the only person that's gotta believe it is you. Everything else is for the birds.- LeVelle Moton
                                Wichita is going to the rich side of town with a pack of matches and a five gallon tank of gasoline and try to burn everything to the ground

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X