• Show
Clear All

• Just saw this. Well spoken young man.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

But do we have a lunker?!
      Still need one of those.

Comment

• Watched a replay of the Shockers-Tulsa game.

Really liked what I saw out of Poor Bear. Pretty solid all around. Was very good with his defensive and rebounding position. Looked like he may have come into the game with an issue with his left thumb. Seemed to be kind of shaking his hand a bit in the first half. When he came into the game with about 3:30 left in the first half he had a black wrap around the base of his left thumb.

At about that 18:30 mark of the 2nd half it looks like he aggravated that injury when a Tulsa player clanged a 3 attempt off of the back board totally missing the rim and that caught Poor Bear by surprise and it looked like his left thumb a direct hit on the hard ricochet. Next time he came into the game he had white tape added over the black wrap on his left thumb. Then at about the 9:20 mark his left arm got hooked under the arm of the Tulsa player he was attempting to block out on a shot and that seemed to cause him a lot of pain. He was holding his arm like it may have been an injury to his elbow (could have been a hyperextension) are maybe it was just more insult to the thumb. Who knows but I hope he is not too badly hurt.

Based on his Tulsa performance he probably should be starting at the 5. He had the best */- of the Shocks at +14 in his 18 minutes of play. Poor Bear is not much of a rim protector/enforcer and I doubt he ever will be. But I think he can be very effective if he plays as fundamentally sound as he did against Tulsa.

Jo-B has the best physical tools but as others have pointed out he is very raw and unrefined in his game.

Really like Craig Porter's game as well. Again nothing too flashy just fundamentally sound and plays like a winner. A guy who seems to clearly put his team's success over his personal success.

And obviously RC4 had a really good game. Question with RC4 is that repeatable on a consistent basis. Let's hope so.

The one thing I don't think the Shocks are great at is using their screens effectively. Part of it may be a timing issue between the screener and the cutter. Tyson in particular needs to cut much tighter off those screens. And the cutters need to be patient enough to let the screens get in place before making their move.

The Shocks did a lot better with their transition defense vs Tulsa. Mizzou and OSU outscored the Shocks a combined 32-9 on fast break points. Tulsa only had 4 fast break points to 3 for the Shocks. This may be critical for the Shocks because they don't seem to be getting a lot of fast break points themselves. The Shocks are averaging only 5 fast break points per game. Fast break points may not be a perfect stat for judging transition play but it's about the best proxy available on the stat sheet.

All in all a lot of good things to like about this game but also a lot of things that weren't so good either so their will be plenty of material in the game film for the coaching staff to critique and hopefully get this team better.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 18, 2020, 05:24 PM.

Comment

• ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
          ....that - '72 talking... !!!!!
          FINAL FOURS:
          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
          Number of Times Ranked: 157
          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
          #3 - Dec. 2017
          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
          #2 ~ March 2014
          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            Watched a replay of the Shockers-Tulsa game.

Really liked what I saw out of Poor Bear. Pretty solid all around. Was very good with his defensive and rebounding position. Looked like he may have come into the game with an issue with his left thumb. Seemed to be kind of shaking his hand a bit in the firts half. When he came into the game with abougt 3:30 left in the first half he had a black wrap around the base of his left thumb.

At about that 18:30 mark of the 2nd half it looks like he aggravated that injury when a Tulsa player clanged a 3 attempt off of the back board totally missing the rim and that caught Poor Bear by surprise and look like the hard ricochet may have jambed that left thumb. Next time he came into the game he had white tape added over the black wrap on his left thumb. Then at about the 9:20 mark his left arm got hooked under the are of the Tulsa player he was attempting to block out on a shot and that seemed to cause him a lot of pain. He was holding his arm like it may have been an injury to his elbow (could have been a hyperextension) are maybe it was just more insult to the thumb. Who knows but I hope he is not too badly hurt.

Based on his Tulsa performance he probably should be starting at the 5. He had the best */- of the Shocks at +14 in his 18 minutes of play. Poor Bear is not much of a rim protector/enforcer and I doubt he ever will be. But I think he can be very effective if he plays as fundamentally sound as he did against Tulsa.

Jo-B has the best physical tools but as others have pointed out he is very raw and unrefined in his game.

Really like Craig Porter's game as well. Again nothing too flashy just fundamentally sound and plays like a winner. A guy who seems to clearly put his team success over his personal success.

And obviously RC4 had a really good game. Question with RC4 is that repeatable on a consistent basis. Let's hope so.

The one thing I don't think the Shocks are great at is using their screens effectively. Part of it may be a timing issue between the screener and the cutter. Tyson in particular needs to cut much tighter of those screens. And the cutters need to be patient enough to let the screens get in place before making their move.

The Shocks did a lot better with their transition defense vs Tulsa. Mizzou and OSU outscored the Shocks a combined 32-9 on fast break points. Tulsa only had 4 fast break points to 3 for the Shocks. This may be critical for the Shocks because they don't seem to be getting a lot of fast break points themselves. The Shocks are averaging only 5 fast break points per game. Fast break points may not be a perfect stat for judging transition play but it's about the best proxy available on the stat sheet.

All in all a lot of good things to like about this game but also a lot of things that weren't so good either so their will be plenty of material in the game film for the coaching staff to critique and hopefully get this team better.
            Really good evaluation. However I like IPBC coming off the bench at the 5 position. He usually gives us a lift. And we mostly needed it. It doesn't matter who starts anyway but I am ok with MU starting. I wish he would play smarter. He is 6 8 240 lb but plays below his size because he doesn't play to his strengths. Stop fouling, stop making all the spin moves. Just grab the freaking ball with two hands and power up with the shot. I like how he takes charges.

TE is really good shooter. He and DD are marked men by opposing teams.. So they both have to play smarter. Stop the fouling and pick your moments on offense. Be shot ready and go to the cup when you have an open lane and the right angle. TE has improved in this area but DD makes 5he same kinds of mistakes that SHJ made his junior year .

Go shocks. No let down tonight against Emporia State.
            Last edited by TheShocktocles; December 18, 2020, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X