No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs. Tulsa Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice post pie ! CJ has a great engine but needs the poise of RC and Porter. Yes, GM and recruiting staff
    deserve some kudos. Want to see JB get more action against ESU to gain some confidence.

Comment

• - it was interesting to hear on the broadcast that they stayed in Tulsa Monday night. Given covid, I would have thought they would just drive there on Tuesday morning. Maybe the weather was a factor. But road trips do lend a chance for the team to bond during travel time and staying somewhere overnight, so maybe that helped the team play better.

- Etienne started the 2nd half even though he had 2 fouls - last year he would have sat as Marshall seemed to have a rule that anyone with 2 fouls sat the first few minutes to avoid getting a quick 3rd foul. Will be interesting to see if that's the norm now.

- happened to be looking at the roster page because I was wanting to make sure I knew who it was that Coach Brown was talking to after the game. It was interesting to see that we don't have anyone listed on the roster this year as a center - they're all either guards or forwards (on last year's roster, only Echenique and Midtgaard were listed as centers). Seymour is listed as being 6' 9", which puts him at the same height as Poor Bear-Chandler and an inch taller than Udeze. He lacks experience and the weight of them, but maybe he'll be used in a pinch in place of the other bigs.

- noticed at the goshockers.com site that capacity has been bumped up to 10% for Friday's game vs the 5% allowed on Saturday vs OSU. Hopefully that percentage will increase in the future.

- also, no tv channels listed yet for AAC games after January 1. The non-con game vs Ole Miss on January 2 will be on ESPNU.
      Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
        Despite some really head scratching decisions on offense Clarence Jackson still scored 6 points in 7 minutes of action. He definitely needs to reign in some of his wild offensive tendencies and improve his defensive focus but I’m still very high on him going forward. And that’s not to say anyone else has jumped off his bandwagon, I know that’s not the case.

Jackson, Ricky Council and Craig Porter have all shown they are ready to contribute, to varying degrees, from day 1. Based on what we’ve seen from those three would anyone be surprised if Jenkins or Seymour flash too when they finally see the court?

Maybe I’m premature here but I want to say thank you to the current coaching staff and GREGG MARSHALL for what seems to be an incredible job not only replacing but potentially upgrading the talent after last years blessing in disguise (aka “the mass exodus”).
        ....in a Spring class no less

Comment

• Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post
          - it was interesting to hear on the broadcast that they stayed in Tulsa Monday night. Given covid, I would have thought they would just drive there on Tuesday morning. Maybe the weather was a factor. But road trips do lend a chance for the team to bond during travel time and staying somewhere overnight, so maybe that helped the team play better.
          They have stated that they have changed up how they are doing road trips. Each player gets their own room. I'm sure they ordered food in for the team. I'd guess they could make it safer than the team staying at home overall.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

....in a Spring class no less
            Marshall and his staff didn’t miss a day shaving even during the pandemic (well, I did see some peach fuzz on his face during a zoom interview); he hired quality assistant coaches and challenged them to find players. You don’t get a player like AG without out working others. Once AG committed, Ricky (RC4), Clarence, Jaden and Craig Porter followed quickly. AG was the key to recruiting during the shut-down and FHCGM was the reason AG chose us... he/we chose wisely. Trey was a later addition, but will also prove valuable.

P.S. I think the pandemic might have actually helped us secure better talent... several of these kids flew under the radar.
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• CJax was the second coming of X a week ago, now he can't stay on the floor
              JoBu was gonna take the 5 spot easily, now he is a long way from being ready
              Poo needed to be on the bus outa town, now he should be the starter
              TWjr was gonna take somebody's job, then he don't even get on the floor
              .........I wonder what they'll all look like in March?

Comment

• Anyone know why Trevin and Seymor didn't play?

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                  Anyone know why Trevin and Seymor didn't play?
                  Trevin is likely a match up issue. All of Tulsa's guards are 6'3 or taller. No idea on Seymour

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Trevin is likely a match up issue. All of Tulsa's guards are 6'3 or taller. No idea on Seymour
                    Could be as simple as not enough minutes.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                      CJax was the second coming of X a week ago, now he can't stay on the floor
                      JoBu was gonna take the 5 spot easily, now he is a long way from being ready
                      Poo needed to be on the bus outa town, now he should be the starter
                      TWjr was gonna take somebody's job, then he don't even get on the floor
                      .........I wonder what they'll all look like in March?
                      Excellent insight. What we sometimes forget in our window moments of time is that another opportunity in another window moment of time carries its own new moon and star alignment. Some of us were quick to judge that K-State couldn't beat themselves out of a wet paper bag with a hole in the bottom just because they lost to FHS. I'm sure if they played 20 more times K-State would win them all, but in that particular moment in time the moon and stars aligned just right for the Tigers to tame the Wildcats. Same principle applies to your point Pin. Every game carries its own unique potential opportunities. If we played at Tulsa again tonight, who knows what the outcome would be. They might win by 20. We might win by 20. Mo and DD could go for a double-double. Gilbert might go scoreless and have 6 TO's. New day, new moon and stars boys and girls. I am just happy to watch each window moment with a certain nod that what happened in the previous window has no bearing on the window I am currently looking into.

Sappy I know...I almost threw up in the back of my mouth reading this crap. Oh well, I am looking out my window and see snow on the ground. I bet it won't be there tomorrow...we will see.

Comment

• Originally posted by newshock1234 View Post
                        -Some freshmen come in with no confidence with scared looks on their face and some freshman come in looking like RC IV, dude is going to be legit.
                        -1 thing that HCIB said on the post game was Craig Porter has missed 42 days or practice from covid stuff, that is pretty crazy. I imagine he going to look better as the season progresses.
                        Yes. I remember Craig Porter set out early in the year because of a minor leg injury.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
                            They had about as many cardboard cutouts in seats as they had butts in seats for any game not involving WSU.
                            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Sure but it is only the second game of his D1 career. On the road against a conference foe. Lucky for us, we have Mo and Poor Bear (I know I know) to help carry the load as he progresses. It will be interesting to see him develop. I think he has the potential to raise our ceiling this year depending on when/if things click.
                              The other thing with Bilau is that we really don't know, or I should say I really don't know, how much good work he was able to get in last year due to injuries/health issues.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

They had about as many cardboard cutouts in seats as they had butts in seats for any game not involving WSU.
                                ... and they were all of the fathead variety; looked like 600# (My 600-lb Life) people in the stands.
                                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X