Shooting Guard - Stutz
    Point Guard - toss up between Stutz and Stutz

but seriously:

Center - Stutz
    PF - Baby Sasquatch
    Small Forward - Toure
    SG - Colt 45 Ryan
    Point Guard - nobody jumping out at me.

Point guard probably goes to Antoine Young. Not sure why, but I just have a hunch.

Comment

I'm not sure it works this way. Isn't it just the best five players and not by position? In any event if Weems and Toure are both classified SF then Weems gets the nod.
      Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Stutz
        McD
        Weems
        Murry
        Young

A case could be made for Rags but I don't think we'll get 3.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

C- Stutz
          PF- Daddy's Boy
          SF- Toure
          SG- Colt
          PG- Odum
          "Ralph Miller was one of the finest coaches in the history of intercollegiate basketball. His teams were always fundamentally sound, team oriented, well conditioned, and ran both their offense and defense with great patience. I know of no coach whose teams competed against his, whether it be at Wichita State, Iowa, or Oregon State, who did not have great respect for him."—John Wooden

Comment

The award will go the 5 highest vote getters. Probably as follows:

1. McDermott
            2. Colt Ryan
            3. Kyle the baby Weems
            4. Stutz
            5. tossup: Rayvonte Rice, Toure Murry, Echenique

Comment

Caleb Patterson is actually more highly thought of at SWOMO than Weems is this year. Having said that:

McDoug
              Colt
              Weems
              Stutz
              Murray

Comment

Interesting. There's currently a big man in the league that nobody's mentioned on their ballot, with the following profile:

Scoring - 13.4 (8th in the Valley)
                Rebounding - 8.6 (1st)
                Field Goal % - .547 (6th)
                Blocks - 1.2 (3rd)
                Team - tied for 3rd
                Team preseason prediction - 8th

Not sure I can remember somebody with those specs not getting first team, although some old(er) timers might.

Right or wrong, Ryan is probably a lock, assuming he doesn't fall out of the top 10 nationwide in scoring. My 5, voting with my head instead of my heart:

McDermott
                Weems
                Ryan
                Mystery Man from above
                Murry

Comment

With the way Stutz has played in conference he'd have to fall apart not to be on the first team. Either that, or the voters are on crack. I believe he's nearly averaging a double/double and is the focal point of every teams defense. He gets in above Carmichael. I love what Jackie does, but he'll have to wait until next year.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Here is my evaluation of potential All Valley players by team. Those with an * before their name I consider border line (at best) and this isn't really considering all-defense, all-bench, all-newcomer, etc. All statistic ranks are in the following format (all games rank)/(conference games only rank)

Bradley
                    Taylor Brown (Sr.) - 4th/3rd in scoring, 8th/7th in rebounding, 5th/6th in ft percentage, -/7th in steals. -/6th in 3-point percentage

Creighton
                    Doug McDermott (So.) - 1st/2nd in scoring, 2nd/3rd in rebounding, 2nd/6th in fg percentage, 8th/- in ft percentage, 2nd/- in 3-point percentage

Antoine Young (Sr.) - -/11th in scoring, 4th/t3rd in assists, 4th/5th in assist/turnover ratio

*Gregory Echenique (Jr.) - 7th/5th in rebounding, 4th/- in fg percentage, 2nd/1st in blocks

*Grant Gibbs (Jr.) - 2nd/2nd in assists, 3rd/8th in assist/turnover ratio

*Jahenns Manigat (So.) - 1st/1st in 3-point percentage, 5th/9th in 3-pointers made

Drake
                    Rayvonte Rice (So.) - 3rd/5th in scoring, 12th/11th in rebounding, 1st/1st in steals

*Ben Simons (Jr.) - 6th/6th in scoring, -/10th in fg percentage, 2nd/5th in ft percentage, 9th/- in 3-point percentage, 1st/2nd in 3-pointers made

Evansville
                    Colt Ryan (Jr.) - 2nd/1st in scoring, 4th/4th in ft percentage, 4th/5th in steals, 6th/5th in 3-point percentage, 2nd/1st in 3-pointers made

*Denver Holmes (Sr.) - 6th/t9th in assists, 1st/1st in ft percentage, 8th/7th in assist/turnover ratio

Illinois State
                    Jackie Carmichael (Jr.) - 8th/9th in scoring, 1st/2nd in rebounding, 6th/7th in fg percentage, 3rd/4th in blocks

*Tyler Brown (Jr.) - 12th/13th in scoring, 5th/- in 3-point percentage, 3rd/7th in 3-pointers made

Indiana State
                    Jake Odum (So.) - 14th/13th in rebounding, 3rd/t3rd in assists, 2nd/t3rd in steals, 10th/- in assist/turnover ratio

*Dwayne Lathan (Sr.) - 15th/10th in scoring, 10th/- in fg percentage

Missouri State
                    Kyle Weems (Sr.) - 5th/4th in scoring, 5th/6th in rebounding, -/8th in ft percentage, -/3rd in 3-point percentage, t9th/t7th in 3-pointers made, 10th/- in blocks

*Michael Bizoukas (Sr.) - 1st/1st in assists, 1st/2nd in assist/turnover ratio

Northern Iowa
                    Anthony James (Jr.)- 7th/8th in scoring

*Marc Sonnen (Jr.) - 3rd/2nd in 3-point percentage, t9th/t3rd in 3-pointers made

Southern Illinois
                    Mamadou Seck (Sr.) - 9th/12th in scoring, 3rd/4th in rebounding, 9th/- if fg percentage, -/7th in assists. -/10th in assist to turnover ratio

Wichita State
                    Garrett Stutz (Sr.) - 10th/7th in scoring, 4th/1st in rebounding, 5th/4th in fg percentage, 9th/7th in ft percentage, 9th/t6th in blocks

Toure' Murry (Sr.) - 13th/15th in scoring, -/9th in ft percentage, -/6th in steals

Joe Ragland (Sr.) - 14th/- in scoring, 7th/- in fg percentage, 7th/- in assists, 7th/- in 3-point percentage, 6th/- in assist/turnover ratio

*Carl Hall (Jr.) - 11th/12th in rebounding, 3rd/3rd in fg percentage

Obviously, preference generally goes to upperclassmen and players in winning teams. Plus there are a number of these players with intangibles that increase their stock over the raw statistics.
                    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                      With the way Stutz has played in conference he'd have to fall apart not to be on the first team. Either that, or the voters are on crack. I believe he's nearly averaging a double/double and is the focal point of every teams defense. He gets in above Carmichael. I love what Jackie does, but he'll have to wait until next year.
                      Yeah, I probably would put Stutz in there instead of Murry, but it was a gut feel on (1) 2 monster games against a 6'8" freshman padding his stats a little, (2) getting outplayed by Echenique in the first meeting, and (3) voters seem to love the breadth of Murry's stat lines and what he brings to the table defensively.

If he hangs a couple more monster games and at least plays Echenique to a standstill in the next meeting, I don't think there's any way to keep him off there.

My main implication on Carmichael was that the league's leading rebounder, as long he's scoring and blocking shots, usually has a lock on a spot. And I think as of last night's games, Stutz is leading the league in rebounding.

Comment

Just goes to show that the Valley has some pretty good bigs if Carmichael gets left off. He's a first team talent no doubt
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

McD, Stutz, Ryan, Weems..........Carmicheal or Seck.........then, the other one, plus Murry, Young, Rice, T Brown.

Comment

Not too long ago it was tough to figure out which combo forward was worthy of making first team with four other guards. Now we've got a lot of bigs padding the stat sheets. I think it shows a lot of growth in the Valley.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by Good News View Post
                              Yeah, I probably would put Stutz in there instead of Murry, but it was a gut feel on (1) 2 monster games against a 6'8" freshman padding his stats a little, (2) getting outplayed by Echenique in the first meeting, and (3) voters seem to love the breadth of Murry's stat lines and what he brings to the table defensively.

If he hangs a couple more monster games and at least plays Echenique to a standstill in the next meeting, I don't think there's any way to keep him off there.

My main implication on Carmichael was that the league's leading rebounder, as long he's scoring and blocking shots, usually has a lock on a spot. And I think as of last night's games, Stutz is leading the league in rebounding.
                              Check that - I was at the Spurs game last night and didn't watch games live. Just saw JC's monster line against MoState.

@kai: - love the mobile interface.

Comment

Working...
                              X