Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

# of games it takes for Top 25 appearance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• # of games it takes for Top 25 appearance?

Just some thoughts I've had lately about our beloved Shocks. It seems to me the pollsters have done their best to discredit the strength of our team this year. I believe that part of our problem stems from the fact the guys gelled together as a team soon after the Puerto Rico losses, and thus got better as a collective unit AFTER the main spotlight was taken off them.

So in the name of a little fun, lets try to get into the minds of the pollsters. Given the schedule as listed below, place a percentage on the likelihood of seeing the Shockers in the Top 25, assuming that the Shockers win the game and the day after the game the new polls come out.

Jan 25 vs EVANSVILLE -- 10%. Not strong enough of an opponent to qualify us yet, unless enough teams above us tumble.

Jan 28 @ DRAKE -- 30%. Given that Drake is sitting at 3rd along with Evansville and Missouri State, this game should be noteworthy to the polsters.

Feb 1 @ MISSOURI STATE -- 55%. If the Shocks come away with three victories against the upper half of the conference, they have more than enough reason to be in.

Feb 4 vs INDIANA STATE -- 65%. Every game is big in the Valley, and a loss against Indy St. would be devastating to our top 25 chances.

Feb 8 vs NORTHERN IOWA -- 80%. UNI doesn't get any favors on it's schedule prior to meeting up with our Shocks again. The Panthers have a good chance at being below .500 when they meet us at Koch Arena, and by then all the shine from their non-con RPI will be faded away. None-the-less, Ben Jacobson's teams are respected in college basketball and would be noted by the polsters.

Feb 11 @ #14 CREIGHTON -- 100%.

Not that it matters, because all I care about is beating Evansville in about 48 hours, but the only number I agree with is the Feb 11 potential outcome. If we still have 3 losses on Feb 12, this board will be in full bandwagon mode and I suspect at least 1 "I want to go to the Final Four" thread will have 100 replies.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      Not that it matters, because all I care about is beating Evansville in about 48 hours, but the only number I agree with is the Feb 11 potential outcome. If we still have 3 losses on Feb 12, this board will be in full bandwagon mode and I suspect at least 1 "I want to go to the Final Four" thread will have 100 replies.
      One? One hundred replies? I think you underestimate the amount of bandwagon juice this city can consume!

Comment

I said "at least".......

Comment

lol.

If we still have 3 losses on Feb 12th, I might just create the 4th Final Four thread.

Dofo will make one. @forevershockerfan: will have one. And @ShockerFever: will have one in jest.

Comment

Just in case it helps anyone, I forgot to add that currently the AP poll has us at #31 with 28 votes. The Coaches poll has us at #29 with 29 votes.

Comment

WSU is close enough for my taste...stay hungry and lets see where it ends up after the last game of the season. That is the only poll that matters to me.

Comment

A perfect road record on Feb. 2nd is too much to ignore. That's when we're in.
                Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

The thing is you have to look at the polls on a week by week basis. While winning out through the game against MSU would be enough to be ranked, if we don't clean up the end of the week by beating Indiana State, we won't be in the polls on Monday morning. So no, I don't think beating Evansville and Drake will be enough. And beating MSU and ISUb might get it done (depending on the teams in front of WSU). Beating Creighton would definitely do it, but we'd have to get the victory against UNI first.
                  You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

First of all, I'm going to support what's in the "Watching the Polls" thread. Not only does WSU have to keep winning - teams currently in the top 25 have to start losing. Some of them need to lose a LOT, because the leagues they play in are considered "elite" and "elite" losses don't get you booted out of the top 25.
                    Originally posted by Love_Wu View Post
                    Jan 25 vs EVANSVILLE -- 10%. Not strong enough of an opponent to qualify us yet, unless enough teams above us tumble.

Jan 28 @ DRAKE -- 30%. Given that Drake is sitting at 3rd along with Evansville and Missouri State, this game should be noteworthy to the polsters.

Feb 1 @ MISSOURI STATE -- 55%. If the Shocks come away with three victories against the upper half of the conference, they have more than enough reason to be in.

Feb 4 vs INDIANA STATE -- 65%. Every game is big in the Valley, and a loss against Indy St. would be devastating to our top 25 chances.

Feb 8 vs NORTHERN IOWA -- 80%. UNI doesn't get any favors on it's schedule prior to meeting up with our Shocks again. The Panthers have a good chance at being below .500 when they meet us at Koch Arena, and by then all the shine from their non-con RPI will be faded away. None-the-less, Ben Jacobson's teams are respected in college basketball and would be noted by the pollsters.

Feb 11 @ #14 CREIGHTON -- 100%.
                    The only team listed there that actually matters is Creighton. Lose any of the others and getting top-25 recognition by Arch Madness is almost completely excluded.

UNI has a losing record in the Valley. Beating a team with a losing record (or even a winning record if it's like 6-5) in the Valley DOES NOT get you moved up in the polls. This isn't the B1G.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

If we win against Evansville and at Drake we will be at least 27th in the Coaches poll. And two more wins the next week (@MSU, ISU) would get us ranked.

If anyone would like to wager on this please feel free to contact me. That is all.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                        lol.

If we still have 3 losses on Feb 12th, I might just create the 4th Final Four thread.

Dofo will make one. @forevershockerfan will have one. And @ShockerFever will have one in jest.
                        lol. For some reason, I'm doubting the situation greatly, but boy would I sure love to eat some serious crow for it.

As to the thread, again, it is a two-way street. We won't leapfrog anybody that doesn't lose in front of us.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

We would be one of the hottest teams in the nation. A few non-Shockerneters might also be mentioning us for the final four.
                          In the fast lane

Comment

One game at a time guys one game at a time, lets get EU
                            I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Sort of on the same subject, but how many games does it take a BCS team to lose before they disappear from the top 25?

Comment

Working...
                              X