• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSU ranked 60th best basketball program by Norlander

60. Wichita State

Record since 1938-39: 1,330-977 | Regular-season titles: 11
    NCAA Tournaments: 15 | Final Fours: 2
    Weeks ranked: 161 | Top-60 NBA picks: 15

In the past 10 years, Gregg Marshall elevated Wichita State to a top-40 program nationally. Coincidentally, this list publishes on the same day Marshall has resigned from the school. In the big picture, Shockers fans can now boast about having one of the 60 best programs, historically, in the sport. Marshall didn't build it alone; Wichita State was relevant in two periods before. The 1963-64 team, led by Dave Stallworth, was ranked top-five in the nation and made the Elite Eight after beating nine ranked opponents that season. A year later WSU was in the Final Four. In the early 1980s, Xavier McDaniel was a revelation for the Shockers at the time because he was the first player in men's D-I history to lead the nation in scoring and rebound average. McDaniel and Stallworth were Consensus All-Americans -- a bar Fred VanVleet, Ron Baker, Cleanthony Early and Landry Shamet failed to meet. A pair of Final Fours, four Elite Eights, six Sweet 16s. Ralph Miller, Gary Thompson, Gene Smithson and Mark Turgeon all laid the foundation -- then Marshall brought the program to its most prominence and dominance ever. The 2013 Final Four was an unexpected run as a No. 9 seed, but it was the following year's undefeated regular season run, punctuated by the No. 1 seed, that was the example set that you could be from a small league (remember, the Shockers were in the Missouri Valley then), beat good opponents and be rewarded with a top seed. If not for one of the greatest games in NCAA Tournament history -- under-seeded Kentucky beating Wichita State in the second round -- that Shockers team's legacy would shine even brighter.

Nice find.

The good news is, we're bigger than any one man.

The future is still very bright.

I'm not worried.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
      https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ime-nos-68-51/

60. Wichita State

Record since 1938-39: 1,330-977 | Regular-season titles: 11
      NCAA Tournaments: 15 | Final Fours: 2
      Weeks ranked: 161 | Top-60 NBA picks: 15

In the past 10 years, Gregg Marshall elevated Wichita State to a top-40 program nationally. Coincidentally, this list publishes on the same day Marshall has resigned from the school. In the big picture, Shockers fans can now boast about having one of the 60 best programs, historically, in the sport. Marshall didn't build it alone; Wichita State was relevant in two periods before. The 1963-64 team, led by Dave Stallworth, was ranked top-five in the nation and made the Elite Eight after beating nine ranked opponents that season. A year later WSU was in the Final Four. In the early 1980s, Xavier McDaniel was a revelation for the Shockers at the time because he was the first player in men's D-I history to lead the nation in scoring and rebound average. McDaniel and Stallworth were Consensus All-Americans -- a bar Fred VanVleet, Ron Baker, Cleanthony Early and Landry Shamet failed to meet. A pair of Final Fours, four Elite Eights, six Sweet 16s. Ralph Miller, Gary Thompson, Gene Smithson and Mark Turgeon all laid the foundation -- then Marshall brought the program to its most prominence and dominance ever. The 2013 Final Four was an unexpected run as a No. 9 seed, but it was the following year's undefeated regular season run, punctuated by the No. 1 seed, that was the example set that you could be from a small league (remember, the Shockers were in the Missouri Valley then), beat good opponents and be rewarded with a top seed. If not for one of the greatest games in NCAA Tournament history -- under-seeded Kentucky beating Wichita State in the second round -- that Shockers team's legacy would shine even brighter.
      He got it right overall, however, I personally feel 60 is a little low.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
        Nice find.

The good news is, we're bigger than any one man.

The future is still very bright.

I'm not worried.
        Welcome back, my dude.

Comment

He had Bradley at 57.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
            He had Bradley at 57.
            But he said that we are currently a Top 40 program, but historically, we are 60.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

But he said that we are currently a Top 40 program, but historically, we are 60.
              He actually said the Marshall made WSU into a Top 40 program, but WSU is only actually a top 60 job.

So I guess you can write the equation: Top 60 Job x (10/(Top 15 Money) = Top 40 Program

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

He actually said the Marshall made WSU into a Top 40 program, but WSU is only actually a top 60 job.

So I guess you can write the equation: Top 60 Job x (10/(Top 15 Money) = Top 40 Program
                There is no where that he said that WSU is actually a top 60 job. This is what he said regarding the rankings.

And so I did, and so here we are. Over the next three days CBS Sports will be revealing the best programs in the sport's history -- or history as college basketball is destined to frame itself. I did not go back to the very beginning (the late 1800s) when conferences, shot clocks, Adolph Rupp, the 3-point line, Bing Crosby, the NCAA Tournament, John Wooden and dunks did not exist.

The NCAA Tournament is the gauge for greatness and relevancy. It's been that way for decades and will remain that way forevermore. So for our purposes here "college basketball history" begins with the dawn of the NCAA Tournament, the 1938-39 season. That starting point ensures every team that existed as far back as 1938 has a shot at inclusion -- and you'll learn about the programs to arrive afterward that still managed to win enough to make their way into the rankings. We're going with 68 because NCAA Tournament themes etc., etc.

The rankings were compiled using an objective statistical formula based on 13 categories: wins, losses, national championships, Final Four appearances, Elite Eight appearances, NCAA Tournament bids, regular-season championships, NIT championships (they held significant value long ago), total weeks ranked, wins over ranked opponents, top-10 NBA Draft picks, first-round/11-30 NBA draft picks and second round/31-60 NBA draft picks.

The title of the article is:

The Greatest College Basketball Programs Ever: Ranking the top teams of all time,

Therefore he did say that Marshall made WSU into a Top 40 program but he ranked us 60 in "Ranking the top programs of all Time" which is from a historical context. There is just no way that Bradley at #57 is a better job than Wichita State is currently.

Comment

Exactly. I just kind of ignored the contrary take.

Comment

Originally posted by bahuoo66
                    Hulu did not immediately respond to Fox News’ request for comment on the young actress’s claim.
                    mobile home renovation

seo services
                    HOW COULD THEY
                    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

There is no where that he said that WSU is actually a top 60 job. This is what he said regarding the rankings.
                      Go listen to his CBS basketball podcast on WSU (he has said it twice there in the last week), or when he was on Lutz Podcast last week.

Comment

Working...
                      X