Wichita State vs. Utah State - Pregame Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wichita State vs. Utah State - Pregame Thread

Ok, figured I would get our minds switched over to an actual game thread, even though this game or any game might not ever happen.

Here is a preview of Utah State. They lose their all-world player in Merrill. Looks like they will be pounding the ball inside without Merrill and a proven PG.

college sports madness,Men's Basketball,Mountain West,Utah State,Joel Welser

Utah State would have reached their second straight NCAA Tournament last season. They finished their campaign with an impressive victory over San Diego State in the conference tournament final to earn the Mountain West’s automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament. The Aggies should remain competitive in the Mountain West, but another trip to the tournament will be difficult without leading scorer Sam Merrill.

2019-20 Record: 26-8, 12-6
    Coach: Craig Smith
    Coach Record: 54-15 at Utah State, 205-99 overall

Key Departed Players:
    Sam Merrill, Guard, 19.7 ppg
    Abel Porter, Guard, 5.6 ppg
    Diogo Brito, Guard, 8.5 ppg
    Roche Grootfaam, Forward, 3.3 ppg

Key Returning Players:
    Neemias Queta, Junior, Center, 13.0 ppg
    Justin Bean, Junior, Forward, 11.9 ppg
    Brock Miller, Junior, Guard, 8.4 ppg
    Alphonso Anderson, Senior, Forward, 8.1 ppg
    Sean Bairstow, Sophomore, Guard, 2.8 ppg
    Kuba Karwowski, Senior, Center, 2.7 ppg
    Trevin Dorius, Sophomore, Center, 2.7 ppg

Key New Players:
    Marco Anthony, Junior, Guard, Transfer from Virginia
    Steven Ashworth, Freshman, Guard
    Liam McChesney, RS Freshman, Forward
    Max Shulga, Freshman, Guard
    Karson Stastny, Freshman, Guard
    Zahar Vedischev, Freshman, Guard
    Matthew Wickizer, Freshman, Forward
    Rollie Worster, Freshman, Guard
    Szymon Zapata, Freshman, Center

Projection:
    Without Merrill, the Aggies will look inside for more of their scoring in 2020-2021. Neemias Queta and Justin Bean will not have a problem providing it. Queta tallied 13.0 points, 7.8 rebounds and 1.7 blocks and is a dominating seven-foot presence in the paint. Bean had a breakout junior season, tallying 11.9 points and 10.5 rebounds. That junior duo will dominate the USU frontcourt, but there is plenty of depth too. Alphonso Anderson, a 6-6 senior, added 8.1 points per game and Kuba Karwowski and Trevin Dorius are both seven-footers who can fill in for Queta as needed. The problem could be in the backcourt. Brock Miller was the most prolific three-point shooter on a team that did not take too many long balls. He will fill that role again. Sophomore Sean Bairstow, a 6-7 wing, showed some promise during his freshman campaign. The rest of the backcourt will have to be filled in by the newcomers. Most notable is Marco Anthony, a transfer from Virginia. He is not a point guard though and without Merrill and Abel Porter and Diogo Brito, Utah State is lacking in that department. If Coach Craig Smith cannot find a new ball handler to feed Queta and Bean in the paint, Utah State could take a bigger step back than expected.

Projected Postseason Tournament: NIT

By the Numbers:
    Scoring Offense: 76.5 (39th in nation, 3rd in conference)
    Scoring Defense: 64.1 (35, 2)
    Field-Goal Percentage: 46.0 (54, 4)
    Field-Goal Defense: 39.2 (17, 2)
    Three-Point Field Goals Per Game: 7.3 (169, 10)
    Three-Point Field-Goal Percentage: 33.3 (181, 7)
    Free-Throw Percentage: 76.3 (21, 2)
    Rebound Margin: 9.4 (2, 1)
    Assists Per Game: 16.5 (9, 1)
    Turnovers Per Game: 12.5 (117, 5)

Hello! Is anyone looking for tickets for the Crossover Classic event? I have tickets to Game 5 and Game 12 for the event and I'm looking to sell for face value; I'm from Wisconsin and was planning on attending the event but have since changed my mind. Alas! Feel free email me at knighfan88@yahoo.com if interested. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
      Ok, figured I would get our minds switched over to an actual game thread, even though this game or any game might not ever happen.

Here is a preview of Utah State. They lose their all-world player in Merrill. Looks like they will be pounding the ball inside without Merrill and a proven PG.

college sports madness,Men's Basketball,Mountain West,Utah State,Joel Welser

Utah State would have reached their second straight NCAA Tournament last season. They finished their campaign with an impressive victory over San Diego State in the conference tournament final to earn the Mountain West’s automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament. The Aggies should remain competitive in the Mountain West, but another trip to the tournament will be difficult without leading scorer Sam Merrill.

2019-20 Record: 26-8, 12-6
      Coach: Craig Smith
      Coach Record: 54-15 at Utah State, 205-99 overall

Key Departed Players:
      Sam Merrill, Guard, 19.7 ppg
      Abel Porter, Guard, 5.6 ppg
      Diogo Brito, Guard, 8.5 ppg
      Roche Grootfaam, Forward, 3.3 ppg

Key Returning Players:
      Neemias Queta, Junior, Center, 13.0 ppg
      Justin Bean, Junior, Forward, 11.9 ppg
      Brock Miller, Junior, Guard, 8.4 ppg
      Alphonso Anderson, Senior, Forward, 8.1 ppg
      Sean Bairstow, Sophomore, Guard, 2.8 ppg
      Kuba Karwowski, Senior, Center, 2.7 ppg
      Trevin Dorius, Sophomore, Center, 2.7 ppg

Key New Players:
      Marco Anthony, Junior, Guard, Transfer from Virginia
      Steven Ashworth, Freshman, Guard
      Liam McChesney, RS Freshman, Forward
      Max Shulga, Freshman, Guard
      Karson Stastny, Freshman, Guard
      Zahar Vedischev, Freshman, Guard
      Matthew Wickizer, Freshman, Forward
      Rollie Worster, Freshman, Guard
      Szymon Zapata, Freshman, Center

Projection:
      Without Merrill, the Aggies will look inside for more of their scoring in 2020-2021. Neemias Queta and Justin Bean will not have a problem providing it. Queta tallied 13.0 points, 7.8 rebounds and 1.7 blocks and is a dominating seven-foot presence in the paint. Bean had a breakout junior season, tallying 11.9 points and 10.5 rebounds. That junior duo will dominate the USU frontcourt, but there is plenty of depth too. Alphonso Anderson, a 6-6 senior, added 8.1 points per game and Kuba Karwowski and Trevin Dorius are both seven-footers who can fill in for Queta as needed. The problem could be in the backcourt. Brock Miller was the most prolific three-point shooter on a team that did not take too many long balls. He will fill that role again. Sophomore Sean Bairstow, a 6-7 wing, showed some promise during his freshman campaign. The rest of the backcourt will have to be filled in by the newcomers. Most notable is Marco Anthony, a transfer from Virginia. He is not a point guard though and without Merrill and Abel Porter and Diogo Brito, Utah State is lacking in that department. If Coach Craig Smith cannot find a new ball handler to feed Queta and Bean in the paint, Utah State could take a bigger step back than expected.

Projected Postseason Tournament: NIT

By the Numbers:
      Scoring Offense: 76.5 (39th in nation, 3rd in conference)
      Scoring Defense: 64.1 (35, 2)
      Field-Goal Percentage: 46.0 (54, 4)
      Field-Goal Defense: 39.2 (17, 2)
      Three-Point Field Goals Per Game: 7.3 (169, 10)
      Three-Point Field-Goal Percentage: 33.3 (181, 7)
      Free-Throw Percentage: 76.3 (21, 2)
      Rebound Margin: 9.4 (2, 1)
      Assists Per Game: 16.5 (9, 1)
      Turnovers Per Game: 12.5 (117, 5)
      Delete this. Say five “Hail Wu, Full of Grain” and wait for FSF to post it like a shocker fan with any decency.
      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

My bad. I guess I didn't know there was only one person who could start game threads. Whatever...

Comment

My bad. I guess I didn't know there was only one person who could start game threads. Whatever...
          You did a good job MKR. Good info and nicely presented. Thanks.

My meter may be broken but I took the response by shock as somewhat tongue-in-cheek. But maybe not.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

My meter may be broken but I took the response by shock as somewhat tongue-in-cheek. But maybe not.
            Check one two
            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

I think this pregame info is in-depth and very well presented. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post

Check one two
                Probably just a bit on edge with the Marshall and Chapman news. Apologies fellas.

Comment

Probably just a bit on edge with the Marshall and Chapman news. Apologies fellas.
                  lol. See, now you know why I don't start threads in the recruiting area!!

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Ditto

Comment

Working...
                    X