The Measurement of Success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Measurement of Success

I'm starting this thread because people are posting similar things in the Coaching Search and Investigation threads, and the postings seem to be mainly about how people define the success of the program over the years vs anything to do with the main content of the Coaching Search and Investigation threads. So if you'd like to discuss tournament appearances, AAC vs MVC, etc., please consider discussing it here instead. Maybe the mods can even move some of the posts out of the other threads into this one.
    Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Just to post something myself, I posted a link to an interesting coaches pay database in the Coaching Search thread which I'll post here as well because some may use a coaches pay as a measurement of success. The site lets you look at the top basketball salaries and also football coaches. Some of the salaries have links to them too which you can click on to read some interesting side notes regarding the salary:

Edited to add there are links for the name of the school and the coach as well. If you click on the name of the school, a popup will show how much they have paid the head coach, regardless of who it was, over the last 10 years. If you click on the coaches name, you can see their salary over the last 10 years, regardless of where they coached. UCLA and Mick Cronin are good examples of various data with both links. Also, you can click on the column headings to sort by that column. For example, clicking on CONF will sort by conferences, with any AAC coach in the table listed first.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/sal...sketball/coach
    Last edited by Ted Lasso's Neighbor; November 14, 2020, 11:57 AM.

Comment

One other thing I'll mention is while a lot of people look at tournament appearances and graduates in the NBA as measurements of success, I would also add a couple other things to consider would be seniors who have graduated and those playing professionally in non-NBA leagues as measures too. Shamet may be the last WSU player to have gone into the NBA, but quite a few since then have been able to do what they love after graduation, by make a living playing overseas.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post
        One other thing I'll mention is while a lot of people look at tournament appearances and graduates in the NBA as measurements of success, I would also add a couple other things to consider would be seniors who have graduated and those playing professionally in non-NBA leagues as measures too. Shamet may be the last WSU player to have gone into the NBA, but quite a few since then have been able to do what they love after graduation, by make a living playing overseas.
        Yeah, like Shaq!

Comment

If you measure success by dollar amounts, here's something from the open records log that shows the revenue and expenses of the athletic department from 2018-2019 - https://openrecords.wichita.edu/view...log/entry/626/ - it gives you an idea of how much money men's basketball brings in and how must is spend on it.

Comment

If you measure success by dollar amounts, here's something from the open records log that shows the revenue and expenses of the athletic department from 2018-2019 - https://openrecords.wichita.edu/view...log/entry/626/ - it gives you an idea of how much money men's basketball brings in and how must is spend on it.
            can you give us a summary?

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post

can you give us a summary?
              Summary:

Revenue:

Men's Basketball - $7,928,806 (4.3 million came from ticket sales)
              Athletic Department (including men's basketball) - $29,890,086

Men's basketball accounted for 27% of the department revenue. Other major revenue included 4.1 million from student fees and 6.1 million from SASO memberships.

Expenses:

Men's Basketball - $8,182,863 (4.3 million in total coaches salaries, benefits, and bonuses)
              Athletic Department (including men's basketball) - $29,815,595

Men's basketball ended up losing $254,057, although the department as a whole ended up with a gain of $74,491. Two sports shown, baseball and women's basketball, each had close to 2.6 million in expenses. Baseball lost 1.8 million for the year and women's basketball lost 1.9 million. All other sports together lost 5.5 million for the year.

You can get all the details by clicking on the link. It's only two pages worth of numbers.

Comment

Revenue:
                Men's Basketball - $7,928,806 (4.3 million came from ticket sales)

Men's basketball ended up losing $254,057, although the department as a whole ended up with a gain of $74,491.
                If we want to "get real", we just go ahead and multiply the SASO membership revenue by 0.80 and slide that result on over to the Men's basketball revenue column.
                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

If we want to "get real", we just go ahead and multiply the SASO membership revenue by 0.80 and slide that result on over to the Men's basketball revenue column.
                  Same with many of the department-wide corporate sponsorships. Yeah, it’s for the whole department...but remove men’s basketball from existence and tell me those deals still happen in the same value or even happen at all.

78-65

Comment

Working...
                  X