Signage Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signage Question

My wife and I were driving north along I-35 this weekend and I was reminded that the Emporia State women's basketball team was the 2010 NCAA Div. II national champion. This is a sign that replaced the previous 1993 debate national championship sign.

Although this wasn't my first time seeing this, this time I thought, why don't the signs that direct highway traffic to Wichita State have something on there about our NIT championship or, although stale, the 1989 championship? If Concordia, KS proudly displays Cloud County CC's 2004 women's NJCAA championship, or Lawrence, KU's 2007non-national championship Orange Bowl victory, surely we can find a way to get a sign out there honoring our Shockers' accomplishments.

If we put up a sign on the highway touting an NIT championship, I am renouncing all affiliation with this university. My lord, how humiliating would that be?

Comment

Originally posted by tw805 View Post
      If we put up a sign on the highway touting an NIT championship, I am renouncing all affiliation with this university. My lord, how humiliating would that be?
      Really?

Comment

Well at least the 1989 National Championship in baseball should be there. Every other school in the state lists something (livestock judging championships, debate championships etc) below their sign. We seem to be the only school in the state that wants to hide its accomplishments.

We could even list NIAR, kU lists several things below their sign, one I think is something about being a research institution. (I don't look too closely at the Ku sign, but I know they list several things).

Comment

I think it should be reserved for "national champions." The NIT doesn't make us National Champions, it was just a post season tournament. We wouldn't put up a billboard if we won the CBE post season invitational.
          ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Is there any truth or not as to whether winning the NIT assiisted GM in recuriting next year's class? If yes, then the university should get them stuck up on all major highways, and then some.

Comment

National championships only, NIT doesn't meet that standard. If livestock judging gets a sign, then all our bowling titles should as well, along with the 1989 CWS title.
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

I believe at one point, some of the Wichita highway exit signs on the turnpike had a 1989 baseball championship sign.

I agree, if we ever put up a highway sign bragging about the NIT, I would be humiliated as a Shocker fan. We gripe about being called a mid major. Nothing screams mid major like putting up a highway sign to brag about the NIT.

Comment

Originally posted by cjp27 View Post
                  I believe at one point, some of the Wichita highway exit signs on the turnpike had a 1989 baseball championship sign..........
                  They used to. I don't know why they took them down.

Comment

I just wish I had something to add to this as I am the "SignMan". If however, the Shockers get a National Championship again in anything I will use my "Sign" connections to get this accomplishment on nearly every LED digital display in this area.

Comment

Originally posted by Signman View Post
                      I just wish I had something to add to this as I am the "SignMan". If however, the Shockers get a National Championship again in anything I will use my "Sign" connections to get this accomplishment on nearly every LED digital display in this area.
                      LMAO. This thread was born for you.
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                      X