Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best of All Time

Updated 10/29

I was killing some time talking to the younger generations about NBA basketball (which I am sort of one too, I grew up in the 80's.). And I was having my friends put together the most offensively talented starting 5 of ALL TIME. So, what is the most offensively talented Shocker team of all time?

PG FVV "Fresh Van Vleet" "Steady Freddy"; Bobby Wilson; Maurice Evans;

SG Aubrey Sherrod; Landry Shamet; Greg Carney; Baker;

SF Xavier McDaniel "the X Man"; Cleanthony Early; Cheese Johnson; Maurice Evans;

PF Antoine Carr "Dr. Dunkenstein"; Cliff Levingston; Dave "the Rave" Stallworth

C Bob Elmore
    Last edited by ShockAzs; November 2, 2020, 08:25 AM.

And here is an NBA version, for extra fun:

Pick 1 at each position for the most offensively talented basketball team of ALL TIME.

PG "Pistol" Pete Maravich; Erving "Magic" Johnson; Mo Cheeks; John Stockton; Luka Doncic;

SG Michael Jordan "His Airness"; Julius Erving "Dr. J; Kobe "Black Mamba" Bryant; Drazen Petrovic "the Mozart of Basketball"; Bobby Jones;

SF Kevin Durant; Larry Bird "the Hick from French Lick";

PF Karl "the Mailman" Malone; LeBron "King" James; Kevin Mchale; "Sir" Charles "the Round Mound of Rebound" Barkley; Moses Malone; Tim Duncan "the Big Fundamental;

C Kareem Abdul Jabbar; Hakeem "the Dream" Olajuwan; Wilt "the Stilt" Chamberlain; Shaquille "Superman" O'neal
    Last edited by ShockAzs; October 26, 2020, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockAzs View Post
      I was killing some time talking to the younger generations about NBA basketball (which I am sort of one too, I grew up in the 80's.). And I was having my friends put together the most offensively talented starting 5 of ALL TIME. So, what is the most offensively talented Shocker team of all time?

PG FVV "Fresh Van Fleet" "Steady Freddy"
      SG ?
      SF Xavier McDaniel "the X Man"; Cle?
      PF Antoine Carr "Dr. Dunkenstein"
      C ?
      All time Offensive threat- takes into account nothing other than buckets.

PG- Bobby Wilson
      SG- Warren Jabali
      SF- Cleanthony Early
      PF- X
      C- Dave

This is hard.

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

This is hard indeed. I'm going with:

PG: FVV
        SG: Landry (this one was really hard. Landry played PG mostly but was a natural SG. There's a strong argument for Baker here)
        SF: Cheese
        PF: X
        C: Stallworth
        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post

All time Offensive threat- takes into account nothing other than buckets.

PG- Bobby Wilson
          SG- Warren Jabali
          SF- Cleanthony Early
          PF- X
          C- Dave

This is hard.
          It is hard, and once we get more candidates up, it will be even harder to pare it back down.

Comment

Perhaps we should leave players in the positions that they mostly played and not what they could play (even if it might have been the best position for them).

Comment

Best offensive

PG: FVV
              SG: Shamet
              SF: Cleanthony
              PF: Antione and X - tie
              C: Stallworth

Comment

OK. I didn't live in Wichita during Dave Stallworth's career, but why are you all putting his 6'7" at the 5? Either Gene Wylie (as a senior center) and 6'10" Nate Bowman were on the team during Stallworth's career (well, except for a couple of games)? Also, the yearbook's always have him as a F not a C.

Did Cle ever play a game here at the 3?

Comment

A couple of quick thoughts, keeping to original positions:

Fred, X, and Dave are on the team. For their offense, defense, and whatever other measures you want to use. (anyone putting Cle above X or Dave at a forward spot is suffering from recency bias. Also, Antoine says get in line Cle.)

For all practical purposes, that leaves you a shooting guard and a center to fill.

SG: Baker or Aubrey?
                  C: Bob Elmore

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                    OK. I didn't live in Wichita during Dave Stallworth's career, but why are you all putting his 6'7" at the 5? Either Gene Wylie (as a senior center) and 6'10" Nate Bowman were on the team during Stallworth's career (well, except for a couple of games)? Also, the yearbook's always have him as a F not a C.

Did Cle ever play a game here at the 3?
                    I had heard stories of Dave showing up at pickup games and putting on a clinic- no matter who he matched up with.
                    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

You gotta have the purest shooter ever at the 2, because we don’t have a lot of perimeter game with X, AC and Dave. That probably puts Landry or Aubrey as the starting 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                        You gotta have the purest shooter ever at the 2, because we don’t have a lot of perimeter game with X, AC and Dave. That probably puts Landry or Aubrey as the starting 2.
                        Perimeter is why Cle is on my list.

Comment

I guess it matters which era this theoretical team plays in, yea?

Or maybe it does not matter at all. Still, perimeter scoring is going to be a priority. And Cle putting up 41 against SIU was a great example of pure scoring. Offensive talent is also assists and A/TO, not just scoring. So Fred no doubt is near the top.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockAzs View Post
                            I guess it matters which era this theoretical team plays in, yea?

Or maybe it does not matter at all. Still, perimeter scoring is going to be a priority. And Cle putting up 41 against SIU was a great example of pure scoring. Offensive talent is also assists and A/TO, not just scoring. So Fred no doubt is near the top.
                            I'll take his game against much more talented Kentucky.

Comment

Along this general topic, Taylor E did his All-Decades teams a month or two ago. For the 2010s team, he did not put Tekele Cotton in the starting lineup, which seems ludicrous at first glance. WuDrWu asked me how someone could exclude Tekele. I answered, "Well, which future NBA guy are you going to kick out of his starting lineup then, Ron or Landry?" Doc quickly understood the rationale.
                              78-65

Comment

Working...
                              X