A Little Help re: Illinois St

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Little Help re: Illinois St

As you may know, my Jays play Illinois St Friday night. I've only seen one game by IlSU and would like some information about their offense. I know they are big, but I'd like some info about their style. Did they try to run with you guys or did they play the same clutch, grab, push and all around ugly basketball favored by MSU, UNI and lots of our other MVC brethren?

Thanks in advance.

They have some talented ball players. They are NOT the grab and hold teams of UNI and MSU. They don't get back well off made shots, and I suspect you guys will murder them on the break, but you need to play defense like you did against WSU or they are more than capable of hanging with you on O.

They aren't very deep. If Doug gets Jackie in foul trouble, it's curtains for the Redbirds.

Comment

I thought they did a pretty good job of getting back after makes. After misses was a different story.

They definitely have some shooters and if you don't D up on them they will hurt you. Not a lot of post depth although the RFR (I think) was solid enough in what was asked of him and could develop alright down the road.

I don't think they're a team that's really going to try and get out and run too much this year, but they're not UNI/MSU/UE when it comes to D.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

That's my bad '22. I meant to say misses, not makes. Good call.

Comment

I thought that they were a very free flowing team. It didn't seem like they were a very slow down, methodical, grab and hold type of offense.

Comment

They have a couple of players that are pretty fast, and can dribble drive to the basket.

Comment

Don't take a 19 point lead in the second half.

Comment

I heard one description of them on kgso - they are a creighton-esque type team.

Comment

We really controlled the game up to a point in the second half where they caught fire. They scored on 8-10 straight possessions. Some was bad defense, some was clutch offense, but other than that spurt, WSU was killing them. It was mostly penetration and good kick-outs, similar to WSU when they are on a role.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

I could see them nipping Creighton in the bud in Normal, at least.

As it is, I think they already spanked MSU in Springfield.. and I know they nearly pulled off the (not too much of a) miracle in Wichita (considering WSU's pathetic two year stretch at home).
                    Last edited by another shocker; January 12, 2012, 05:54 PM.

Comment

#22 will be begging for the crowd to pour it on him when you get him in Omaha.
                      Last edited by ShockerFever; January 12, 2012, 10:06 PM.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Thanks again to everybody that chimed in.

Comment

The Red Birds closed the gap to 2 points with one minute to go. Creighton was ahead. The Red Birds were about 15 points behind with 8 minutes to go. All approximate numbers.

At the one minute mark, Johnny Hill of the Red Birds fouled. He did not like the foul, so he picked up a technical. Dumb Johnny.

Game over. Creighton will probably win by 5 points or so. Final is 9 points. Creighton wins.

Dumb hot head Johnny Hill.
                          "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Apparently the way to beat IlSU is to get under Hill's skin.
                            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
                            X