so, three games in...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so, three games in...

...what's the most compelling story in the league....and has your perception of the MVC changed for this year?

I'll start...maybe again the remembrance of how hard, but precious a win on the road is in this league.

And, yes...I think it is a better league than I would have imagined...

1. SIU is tied for first.
    2. Neither WSU nor Creighton is 3-0.
    3. The mid-pack Valley teams (UNI, Indiana State, Evansville, Ill St, MSU) can play at a higher level than I expected when the season started.
    Livin the dream

Comment

I think the most compelling story in the league is the Lady Shockers starting off with 2 good road wins. Not only against well-regarded MVC foes but by convincing scores (67-40 over UNI and 71-58 over Bradley). Not sure if they can follow-up on that start but this is the first time the have opened 2-0 on the road since 1994. This from a team that has been very poor on the road over the last decade.

On the men's side not sure there really is a compelling story in the MVC at this point except that perhaps everyone is vulnerable. I still think Creighton will separate. I am hoping the Shocks follow suit but not sure about that after the last two games. If they can do that they will both make the dance.

Mayber a better question to address at the halfway point of league play.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 5, 2012, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
        The mid-pack Valley teams (UNI, Indiana State, Evansville, Ill St, MSU) can play at a higher level than I expected when the season started.
        I'll buy that as far as UNI, EU, ILS and MSU is concerned. INS has struggled early and is playing worse than I expected at this point. SIU has started stronger than I expected but I don't think it will last. Bradley may be worse than I expected and expectations were not high.

Comment

1. SIU is tied for first.
          2. Neither WSU nor Creighton is 3-0.
          3. The mid-pack Valley teams (UNI, Indiana State, Evansville, Ill St, MSU) can play at a higher level than I expected when the season started.
          #2 was a forgone conclusion!

Comment

I guess I would say the women as well, but I know how peevish people get over mix boarding!

Comment

Originally posted by Wushocka View Post
              #2 was a forgone conclusion!
              Um, no. That was a "neither/nor" statement, not "both." I expected WSU to beat Bradley and Evansville and I expected Creighton to beat Drake and MSU. I expected ONE OF THE TWO TEAMS to ALSO win the head-to-head; thus EITHER CU OR WSU would be 3-0 while the loser would be 2-1. As it is, CU won that one, but didn't meet my expectation that they would beat MSU at home.
              Livin the dream

Comment

Um, no. That was a "neither/nor" statement, not "both." I expected WSU to beat Bradley and Evansville and I expected Creighton to beat Drake and MSU. I expected ONE OF THE TWO TEAMS to ALSO win the head-to-head; thus EITHER CU OR WSU would be 3-0 while the loser would be 2-1. As it is, CU won that one, but didn't meet my expectation that they would beat MSU at home.
                Well put, and the biggest surprise to me as well.

SIU, ISUR and UE being tied for 1st is the 2nd most surprising thing...although just SIU being tied is probably enough to get #2 on it's own merit.

Comment

Arch madness is gonna be crazy this year
                  Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
                    I guess I would say the women as well, but I know how peevish people get over mix boarding!
                    My apologies to the peevish!

Comment

Working...
                    X