Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is the strangest conference start in recent memory...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is the strangest conference start in recent memory...

Nearly every team has surprised this season only two games into conference play. Creighton losing at home, us losing at home, Illinois State winning against UNI only to have 90 points scored on them by SIU. Missouri State going 2-0, UNI 0-2. Evansville going 2-0 to start and Drake and Indiana State splitting. Bradley getting beat by 40 at home?

What a wacky conference.

We better be ready to play Evansville because they are undefeated and gaining confidence. I don't think that they will be rolling over for us.

Yeah was just thinking the same thing. Not only that, but this does not bode well for the MVC's multi-bid aspirations. Everyone has been talking about the necessity of the top four separating themselves from the pack in order to have a good shot at the Dance...but just the opposite is happening! We definitely need to take care of business against the bottom feeders, and no more letting up at home regardless the opponent.
    "The more difficult the victory, the greater the happiness in winning."
    -- Pele

Comment

Originally posted by Perezident View Post
      Yeah was just thinking the same thing. Not only that, but this does not bode well for the MVC's multi-bid aspirations. Everyone has been talking about the necessity of the top four separating themselves from the pack in order to have a good shot at the Dance...but just the opposite is happening! We definitely need to take care of business against the bottom feeders, and no more letting up at home regardless the opponent.
      This is very true. This conference always seems to find a way to turn itself into a one bid league. Fortunately this year, we did well enough in the non-conference that in spite of itself this conference should still get two bids in the end.

Unless our champ ends up like 10-8 and we have a bunch of teams at 9-9 or something really weird like that, this should still be at least a 2 bid conference this year. Let's hope we are one of them.

Comment

But its so Valley!
        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

The only remaining games on the schedule where a loss is to be expected is at Creighton and whoever we play in the BracketEliminator. I don't think any other team in the conference has proven consistent enough to predict an automatic loss. So it's not unreasonable to think WSU can still finish with just three or four conference losses.

That said, this team has now had four "opportunity" games this season and emerged 1-3 in those games. That is not a good percentage, particularly for a senior-laden team. There are two more opportunity games (the two I mentioned earlier), and maybe one more emerging if MSU continues to win. If we don't get at least one more victory in those games we'll be asking a lot of the selection committee to put us in on the merits of the UNLV game.

Of course, we could make that all academic with an MVC tournament championship, but I'm not holding my breath.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
            The only remaining games on the schedule where a loss is to be expected is at Creighton and whoever we play in the BracketEliminator. I don't think any other team in the conference has proven consistent enough to predict an automatic loss. So it's not unreasonable to think WSU can still finish with just three or four conference losses.

That said, this team has now had four "opportunity" games this season and emerged 1-3 in those games. That is not a good percentage, particularly for a senior-laden team. There are two more opportunity games (the two I mentioned earlier), and maybe one more emerging if MSU continues to win. If we don't get at least one more victory in those games we'll be asking a lot of the selection committee to put us in on the merits of the UNLV game.

Of course, we could make that all academic with an MVC tournament championship, but I'm not holding my breath.
            There is always the NIT

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
              Not to be a cynic, but I would throw ourselves into the inconsistency boat as well.......

I don't think any other team in the conference has proven consistent enough to predict an automatic win or loss.

Nonetheless, GO SHOCKS!
              "Ralph Miller was one of the finest coaches in the history of intercollegiate basketball. His teams were always fundamentally sound, team oriented, well conditioned, and ran both their offense and defense with great patience. I know of no coach whose teams competed against his, whether it be at Wichita State, Iowa, or Oregon State, who did not have great respect for him."—John Wooden

Comment

Nothing strange tonight. CU beats the Drake 76-59 in Omaha. Crowd goes home happy with free pizza (CU scored over 75 points).

Comment

Working...
                X