College Basketball, Fall 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Basketball, Fall 2020

Maybe this has, maybe it hasn't been addressed. Was watching highlights of a college game today, and it just hit me. SASO renewals are available, but even they don't have a definite answer in regards to this season. What are the chances we even get a College Basketball Season? 50-50?

Let's say, the season happens. There will be no cure for this blasted virus, not this year, probably not next year, probably not in the forseeable future. Or maybe they'll find a fix by October. Lo and behold a miracle! But if they don't....DO you think the season happens? Would you attend a game? Would you only watch on TV/internet? If this persists into 2021, or 2022, then what? There are so many variables that could swing a game one way or the other, that its just not worth going into any kind of detail.

Assume, they have a wand at every entrance, every attendee clearly gets a temperature scan, just like they don't want you walking in with a bottle of Jack or a weapon of some kind. I know that doesn't guarantee spit. Envision Shocker fans who got cheated out of a March Madness last season.

Answer......Under what circumstances would you attend? Right now. Not 6 months from now....circumstances as they are now.
    Only if the virus thing is treatable/curable
    18.37%
    I'm in but only if they reduce seating/fan numbers to provide space between people
    6.12%
    I'm in and I want every attendee wearing a black and yellow mask.
    10.20%
    I'm in no matter what because life has to go on and I want me some Shocker ball
    65.31%

I dunno. Schools have been instructed to plan on classrooms this fall, maintaining the 6 foot distancing rule, effectively cutting classroom sizes to about a third as many students. I don't see how that plays at CKA.
    Last edited by pinstripers; May 16, 2020, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
      I dunno. Schools have been instructed to plan on classrooms this fall, maintaining the 6 foot distancing rule, effectively cutting classroom sizes to about a third as many students. I don't see how that plays at CKA.
      Exactly. You may be able to control seat spacing (I would assume any seats together under same SASO member together unless otherwise requested) and spacing of people coming in, but that does not say how you would control even 2,500 people inside the concourse area. Of course, the special gathering areas would not be available, but some sort of concessions would be needed (can't bring your own).

And if they reduce the number allowed in, does that mean 1/3 or 2/3s or more SASO fans don't get in because the spacing of seating has put the last of the top 1/3 or so in the nose bleed area. Would people pay that level of SASO and tickets to sit there? Would they allow SASO to "freeze" until (if) normal comes around? No cheerleaders or dance squad I suppose.

Comment

By the way, those of us that would say "I'm in no matter what" may not have a say that you get in if there is seat spacing. "Bumping" would definitely cause that. Oh, and how is corporate seating handle if there is required spacing?

Comment

I'm all in. I decided to ask my son (diehard Shocker) what his thoughts were and he'd be all in. He echoed the concern that they would force seat spacing on guests andd that ticket prices may go up because of reduced seating. His concern was more "can I get a seat" if there are fewer seats.

[edit] there's still clearly lots of time between now and then, but College Football will probably give a lot of insight as to what might happen and wht it will look like.

Comment

I'm sure we already attended many games in February and March with the virus around. People who don't feel comfortable this fall can stay home and watch it on TV. The rest of us should be able to attend if we want to.
            I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

Originally posted by Woodrow View Post
              I'm sure we already attended many games in February and March with the virus around. People who don't feel comfortable this fall can stay home and watch it on TV. The rest of us should be able to attend if we want to.
              Maybe things will change, but there are already lots of events I would like to attend that the Govt won't allow me to.

Comment

It's still 5-6 months away. Things have changed drastically in the 2 months since this has started. It will change again and again by November. In my opinion we will be closer to back to "normal" by November whether it's the right move or not. I think worst case scenario is they will have fan but require masks. Will people actually wear them? probably not. Will they do anything to stop people that don't? Well seeing how crazy people have gotten around masks .. probably not. So it will likely be a at your own risk type thing.

I could see them modifying seating in some way to prevent any fans from getting within 6 feet of the players though. That includes most of the lowest few levels of seating and the area around the tunnels.

To answer the question though. I'm in no matter what. Shocker basketball is something I look forward to year round. I'm not in a high risk group. I will have likely been exposed at some point between now and November anyways. It's going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                  By the way, those of us that would say "I'm in no matter what" may not have a say that you get in if there is seat spacing. "Bumping" would definitely cause that. Oh, and how is corporate seating handle if there is required spacing?
                  I would think this is a year that we would ask corporate users, especially ones with a low history of actual scanned usage to be flexible. And you are right about seat spacing, some people will get bumped. There is a large section of the Shocker fan base that likely falls into the higher risk categories for COVID. You will likely see a lot of voluntary bumps from people. Hopefully the goal by the ticket office is to allow people to potentially "skip" this year without losing their earned seats.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I would think this is a year that we would ask corporate users, especially ones with a low history of actual scanned usage to be flexible. And you are right about seat spacing, some people will get bumped. There is a large section of the Shocker fan base that likely falls into the higher risk categories for COVID. You will likely see a lot of voluntary bumps from people. Hopefully the goal by the ticket office is to allow people to potentially "skip" this year without losing their earned seats.
                    I think this is key and should be out there before June 1st. There will be those who feel very uncomfortable about large crowds for awhile. Even fear of another start up in the late fall, particularly if there is no proven vaccine yet. WSU should take the "burden" off of these long time donors and let them know that this is an option this season, hoping that they will still contribute all or part of the SASO (but it wouldn't be required).

Comment

Should be some good seats available on craigslist for below market prices

Comment

The sports fan in me wants to be all in. The reality is that I am at higher risk than most( autoimmune issues) for getting this thing and there would be some serious hesitation by the time I would be ready to leave for the game. I think I will be avoiding crowds until they get a better handle on things.

Comment

Admins are busy at work on a variety of contingency plans including how to divide games if forced to space (you might get 1 game in three, choice or lottery) no more than 4 in a family, empty every other row etc etc. Will it come to that? Who knows, but they are working on it.

I think other sports will be easier to work and plan for, especially volleyball and women's basketball. Baseball too. That's, of course, if you believe it's a necessity.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                            Admins are busy at work on a variety of contingency plans including how to divide games if forced to space (you might get 1 game in three, choice or lottery) no more than 4 in a family, empty every other row etc etc. Will it come to that? Who knows, but they are working on it.

I think other sports will be easier to work and plan for, especially volleyball and women's basketball. Baseball too. That's, of course, if you believe it's a necessity.
                            Thanks for the insight. Sounds like a glass half full approach, unlike California.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

That's good to hear. In that scenario though, I would hope they start with allowing people to back out for this year but retain their seats for next year. If they get that as the baseline, it would make the rest of the spacing much easier. It would also prevent people buying seats they have no intention of using just so they don't lose their seats. Then when their "1 in 4" games comes up, we have even more empty seats not being used.

I'm sure they will come up with something. It has to be hard trying to guess what will happen 6 months from now though.

Comment

Working...
                              X