No announcement yet.

Interesting observation by a K-Stater.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting observation by a K-Stater.

I was talking to my friend from KSU last night that tagged along for the Utah State game. He said that the WSU campus has a much different feel to it than KSU's.. He said he was surprised how spread out WSU's campus is and how nice it looks. I guess in contrast to KSU, WSU felt like a city withen a city to him. Even though I've never taken a serious walk around the KSU campus, I kind of knew what he was talking about. WSU does have a legit campus, I never even saw it until 2007 when I started attending classes there and I at first, was also surprised by the size and how clean it is. I thought it was pretty cool hearing that from a KSU student though.

KSU's campus layout makes it appear as if it was gerrymandered at some point. Just kind of sprawled out in strange shapes and directions.
    The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Wichita State does have a very nice campus. The improvements made over the 4 decades since I was a student at WSU have been outstanding in my opinion. No comparison really to what it was 40 years ago. Much, much better.

I really enjoy walking the campus. When I go to Shocker baseball games I will generally park in the lots along 17th street just so I can enjoy a very nice spring walk through the campus.

My guess is there is more to come in future years.

Comment

I think we can all thank President Beggs for a lot of the beautification around campus. I'm pretty sure that was one of his big projects with his tenure here.

I went on a campus tour at K-State when I was looking for colleges and was not impressed at all with their campus. The buildings I visited to speak with professors about certain majors, didn't have very good buildings either. So I won't completely judge them as I had only been in a fraction of the buildings there, but I visited a professor in the History building, one in the poli-sci building, and then the ROTC building. Obviously they have names, and might not be completely housed by each of those majors, but those were the courses and different buildings I visited while there. They seemed old and run down.
        ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

I've spent a lot of time on Ft. Riley and have merely seen glimpses of the KSU campus. The old part of Ft. Riley looks a lot like what I've seen of the KSU campus. Old lime stone buildings that are spread out in weird places. I think it's just the way those buildings were all built 100 years ago.. The inside of the old limestone buildings on Ft. Riley isn't very nice either. The new part of Ft. Riley isn't limestone buildings either and for good reason. I met up with some people in Manhattan this past summer and I noticed they built a brand new limestone parking garage sitting by KSU's old football stadium. I thought it looked odd and cluttered.

Comment

Campus

A lot of changes to the WSU campus occurred much earlier than during the tenure of Dr Beggs. I graduated in 1962. WU came became a state university in 1963 or 1964. A number of new campus buildings were added after that, particular during the tenure of Dr Clark Ahlberg with planning facilitated by Dr George Platt. At one point during that era, there was N-S street that ran straight through the campus right beside the CAD on the side. What is that street: Yale? And, on the NE corner of Yale & 17th, if that was Yale, there were a lot of houses that ran east a couple of blocks. They were located on the south side of what is not the campus loop street that runs on the south side of the Engineering Bldgs.

Comment

Yes, it was Yale. Ran right past the east side of the CAC (now the RSC).

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                Yes, it was Yale. Ran right past the east side of the CAC (now the RSC).
                That is why WSU acturally was "Hillside High" because so many people used to "cruise" yale between classes. When they shut it down and built that mall area it changed the feel of WSU and gave it a more campus feel. All of the other changes that have happened since then have really made WSU a much nicer campus. The outdoor sculptures make walking around a neat experience. My favorite outdoor art piece is the one south east of the CAC/RSC depicting a farmer plowing the prairie behind two oxen.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                  My favorite outdoor art piece is the one south east of the CAC/RSC depicting a farmer plowing the prairie behind two oxen.
                  That would be my favorite also.

Comment

I really like the one just north of the CAC (now RSC) that has two "arms" that rotate. You can see it from the fireplace area at the north end of the student union (CAC or RSC.)
                    Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                    Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

That was a temporary post for all of you.
                      Last edited by SpanglerFan316; December 28, 2011, 11:16 PM.
                      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316 View Post
                        I really like the one just north of the CAC (now RSC) that has two "arms" that rotate. You can see it from the fireplace area at the north end of the student union (CAC or RSC.)
                        Going to try and drop a picture in here, but not sure it's working:

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                          That is why WSU acturally was "Hillside High" because so many people used to "cruise" yale between classes. When they shut it down and built that mall area it changed the feel of WSU and gave it a more campus feel. All of the other changes that have happened since then have really made WSU a much nicer campus. The outdoor sculptures make walking around a neat experience. My favorite outdoor art piece is the one south east of the CAC/RSC depicting a farmer plowing the prairie behind two oxen.

Comment

Thanks, King Wu.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316 View Post
                              Thanks, King Wu.
                              Only my wife can call me that.

Comment

Working...
                              X