No announcement yet.

2020-21 Basketball Happenings Around the AAC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't really know where this belongs so I'll put it here. Thought it was pretty cool!

Comment

• ECU Player Outlook: What difference can a healthy Robinson make? - 247 Sports

By STEPHEN IGOE
      08/31/20, 11:00am

https://247sports.com/college/east-c...-21-150896600/

"
      East Carolina's men's basketball program is heading into the third season of Joe Dooley's second tenure as the Pirates' basketball coach. Over the coming months, we'll be diving into each individual scholarship player on the roster ahead of the 2020-21 season and evaluating their potential contributions to the team this season. ...

THE BOTTOM LINE: THERE APPEARS TO BE A LOT MORE IN ROBINSON-WHITE'S GAME WE'VE YET TO SEE
      Part of the upside with recruiting Robinson-White was the fact he had three years of eligibility remaining. He took an intentional redshirt year at Garden City to save an extra season for the Pirates. That's very valuable when looking back at last year, given the experience he gained from the trials he worked through. Having been through The American and playing alongside his teammates for an entire season, Robinson-White will have a much better understanding of how to succeed at this level. And that's critical for a point guard who has the ball in his hands so often on the court. Looking back at it, it's fairly impressive Robinson-White managed to average 7.5 points per game - good for fifth on the team - given the inconsistencies he went through. His ability to penetrate a defense ranks near the top of the team, and if he can get downhill and attack more in 2020-21, it should benefit everyone on the floor. Robinson-White, Tristen Newton and Noah Farrakhan are all expected to spend time at point guard this coming season. And as talented as Newton and Farrakhan are, Robinson-White may still be the most intriguing of the three to monitor as the season gets going."

Comment

• SMU's Feron Hunt may opt out of this season as a form of protest.

Amidst a historic social and racial reckoning that has sparked protests globally, SMU basketball star Feron Hunt, like many of his basketball contemporaries, wants to be a catalyst for change. And as a Black athlete at a major college with a unique platform, he feels the time to put up or shut up is now.

"I may not play basketball this year with everything going on in the world," he tweeted last week. "I want to be apart of the change to end racism!"

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
          well-bye-meme-663.jpg

Comment

Umm, college kid trying to increase his stock in the draft thinks not playing is a good idea? Really? His time to affect social change is AFTER he signs an NBA contract. Only 070 kids get drafted, 35 with guarantees, 350+ D-1 teams x 11 kids on scholarship = more than 3,800 draftable players, add in the international pool vying to be drafted, and the stud from SMU might find out that he's not such a big fish in a giant ocean. He just might want to find another form of protest. The kid needs an agent or someone in his ear talking sense.
            There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post

Umm, college kid trying to increase his stock in the draft thinks not playing is a good idea? Really? His time to affect social change is AFTER he signs an NBA contract. Only 070 kids get drafted, 35 with guarantees, 350+ D-1 teams x 11 kids on scholarship = more than 3,800 draftable players, add in the international pool vying to be drafted, and the stud from SMU might find out that he's not such a big fish in a giant ocean. He just might want to find another form of protest. The kid needs an agent or someone in his ear talking sense.
              He’s not as famous as he thinks he is

Comment

• Looking him up on Google now. Lol

Comment

Shouldn’t the school be able to opt out of his scholarship then?
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• I can assume most of the users that are mocking this man’s decision have no understanding of his background, cultural context, or reasons for making such an obviously impactful decision in his own life.

I am sure he does not care much for the words of anonymous posters on a Wichita State forum. Let him make his own decisions without rushing to your own judgment and feeling the need to give your own jab of poor-taste humor.

Shameful.

Comment

• One guy in the pickup games I played at WSU was a 6'7" incredibly athletic guy who was a maker. I asked why he wasn't playing college ball. His family needed money and he couldn't contribute if he took a scholarship. He was working and going to school to help his Mom provide food and shelter for his family.

That opened my eyes to why people would do things I couldn't understand. I had never been in his situation. It had never occurred to me that refusing a scholarship was an economic necessity.

Perhaps Hunt's choice is poverty for his family or he drops out of college, plays in an international league and earns enough money that he can give his family a place to live and food on their table.
                      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlyShock View Post
                        I can assume most of the users that are mocking this man’s decision have no understanding of his background, cultural context, or reasons for making such an obviously impactful decision in his own life.

I am sure he does not care much for the words of anonymous posters on a Wichita State forum. Let him make his own decisions without rushing to your own judgment and feeling the need to give your own jab of poor-taste humor.

Shameful.
                        No argument that every man has a decision to make but Fever's statement is correct also.

The contract is for a person to receive an education, and place to live, plus some spending money in exchange for playing basketball, and developing his skills for later employment. In this pandemic, schools are allowing football players and probably players of other sports (although I haven't heard of any yet) could say that they are not going to participate in basketball because of health reasons, and still maintain their scholarship.

The contract doesn't allow for not playing because of a social cause at this time, and if they did allow it, that would open up a Pandora's Box into many Social Causes. I would imagine that Feron Hunt would lose his scholarship. I think that many who you would say were mocking Hunt, are only disagreeing that he has a platform, by himself to make any kind of social change. Very few know who Feron Hunt is, and he has not been a headline in the news that many past the AAC, and SMU would even notice. However, if he doesn't want to play, all power to him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

No argument that every man has a decision to make but Fever's statement is correct also.

The contract is for a person to receive an education, and place to live, plus some spending money in exchange for playing basketball, and developing his skills for later employment. In this pandemic, schools are allowing football players and probably players of other sports (although I haven't heard of any yet) could say that they are not going to participate in basketball because of health reasons, and still maintain their scholarship.

The contract doesn't allow for not playing because of a social cause at this time, and if they did allow it, that would open up a Pandora's Box into many Social Causes. I would imagine that Feron Hunt would lose his scholarship. I think that many who you would say were mocking Hunt, are only disagreeing that he has a platform, by himself to make any kind of social change. Very few know who Feron Hunt is, and he has not been a headline in the news that many past the AAC, and SMU would even notice. However, if he doesn't want to play, all power to him.
                          Exactly. I wasn't mocking the guy, just very puzzled. If he truly is NBA talent, and he appears to be mid-second round stock, he has a much larger platform in the league. He is risking that platform by not playing, furthermore, a player from SMU garners zero national attention. A role player in the NB A has a much louder voice. Somebody needs to explain this to him.
                          There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Comment

• SMU has hired former WSU player John Cooper as an assistant coach.

Comment

SMU has hired former WSU player John Cooper as an assistant coach.

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/sm...sistant-coach/
                                ......who replaces former WSU assistant coach KT Turner.

Comment

Working...
                                X