Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slow Time...What's our team look like next year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow Time...What's our team look like next year?

We've got a lot of good basketball left to play this season, but with the little hiatus, I thought it would be fun to look at what we might have next year. We're going to lose 4 starters (one four year starter) and a great sixth man so things are going to be mighty different! Here's what I expect at this time next year:

First of all, we've got 14 scholarship players back (plus a scholarship worthy walk-on) for 13 spots and HCGM and company are still recruiting. It's likely that one or more of the players mentioned below won't be back, but since I know nothing about that, I'll pretend that the roster is set in stone.

PG: Armstead, VanVleet
    SG: Cotton, Baker, Mitchell
    SF: Williams, Wessel, Green (RS)
    PF: Early, Hawkins, White/Anacreon
    C: Hall, Orukpe, Henry (RS)

I'm assuming near game-ready play from new-comers Armstead, VanVleet, Baker, Mitchell, and Early with Hawkins seeing a lot of minutes due to pure athleticism. If his game can mature during the non-con, he might be able to step into the starting line-up by January.

I think that the talent level we have next year will dictate a smaller 3 guard line-up to start games, but I do believe that with the right level of development that Early or Hawkins can move to the SF position and that Williams can move to the 1 or 2 guard position, and that Cotton and Mitchell will be able to play the point if needed. Both Hall and White should be able to play either the 4 or 5 as well.

Who knows about Green and Henry. If either is very good defensively, they might get significant minutes as freshman, ala Cotton.

Tons of speculation (obviously) but with the deep bench we will again possess next season, I see us continuing our recent success and being in the hunt for an MVC title and NCAA bid.
    Livin the dream

PG: Armstead, Cotton, Williams, FVV, Baker
    SG: Williams, Cotton, Baker, Wessel
    SF: Early, Wessel, Hawkins, Green
    PF: Hall, Early, White, Anacreon, Green
    C: Ehimen, Hall, Henry.

That's my projected depth chart for the team next year. I'm thinking Green and Henry definitely redshirt. I'd even say there could be a chance of FVV and even Hawkins doing so as well. I don't think both will, but it's not outside the realm of possibility. I'm still not sold on Mitchell getting any playing time as there is a lot of talent in front of him that I believe bring more to the table. I don't think next year is a rebuilding year as much as reloading and that with this team we should finish in the Top 3 and challenge for a title.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I'm hard-pressed to see an NCAA tournament team next year without some unexpected surprises. I mostly agree with Sub's depth chart except that I would put Mitchell as either the 2nd or 3rd PG.

I'm very concerned that we will have little to no quality post depth, causing the rotation to look like this:

PG Armstead (Mitchell, FVV)
      SG Williams (Cotton, Baker)
      SF Wessel (Hawkins)
      PF Early (White, Anacreon)
      C Hall (Orupke)

White and Anacreon just do not look "ready for prime time" and I can't bring myself to believe that we will be an NCAA tournament team if we are relying on them or a freshman (Hawkins) to provide important minutes at one of the forward spots.

The year after that really, really scares me in terms of quality post players. I hope White can become that Kyle Wilson clone, Earl Watson is game-ready and we bring in a proven juco center (Joseph Uchebo, please?),

Comment

PG Armstead, Cotton, FVV
        SG Williams, Baker, Mitchell
        SF Early, Wessel
        PF Hall, Hawkins, White
        C Orupke, Hall

my wild guess

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
          I'm hard-pressed to see an NCAA tournament team next year without some unexpected surprises. I mostly agree with Sub's depth chart except that I would put Mitchell as either the 2nd or 3rd PG.

I'm very concerned that we will have little to no quality post depth, causing the rotation to look like this:

PG Armstead (Mitchell, FVV)
          SG Williams (Cotton, Baker)
          SF Wessel (Hawkins)
          PF Early (White, Anacreon)
          C Hall (Orupke)

White and Anacreon just do not look "ready for prime time" and I can't bring myself to believe that we will be an NCAA tournament team if we are relying on them or a freshman (Hawkins) to provide important minutes at one of the forward spots.

The year after that really, really scares me in terms of quality post players. I hope White can become that Kyle Wilson clone, Earl Watson is game-ready and we bring in a proven juco center (Joseph Uchebo, please?),
          Royal, the lack of post depth is also what brings me to believe that we will play a three guard line-up as well. I do expect White to improve, and with his size it is not out of the realm of possability that he can play some center. That will help to negate some of his footspeed liabilities. I think Hawkins will wow us with his athleticism, but might look lost on defense from time-to-time. It's been a while since we've had a freshman big come in and be REALLY good. Maybe next year is the year?
          Livin the dream

Comment

That's a fair assessment Royal. I believe that White will be better next year as he has a little experience and hits the weights even harder this offseason and can handle more banging. He's going to be a more perimeter minded PF, but I think he'll be just fine. But I can understand being more cautious in projecting.

With so much youth, it's hard to know exactly what we'll have. I believe we can count on Armstead, Williams and Cotton at the guard positions. I think we can count on Hall and Ehimen in the post. I also believe Early will step in and be a huge factor. Most of us will agree on that. Biggest debate seems to be what position he'll play. I say wing.

We hear great things about Baker from multiple sources. That leads me to believe he'll be a solid contributor. Everything else is guess work. I admit I've only seen Mitchell play at Shocker Madness and I was less than impressed.

I know we're all pretty high on FVV, but until we see how he does here, I'm not going to expect him to show up and play a ton right away. Especially when we have Armstead, Williams and Cotton all capable of running the point. You could even throw in Baker and Mitchell. If FVV can't earn 15 minutes a game at the point, he may be best to RS.

I think it's pretty much guaranteed that Henry will RS. Lots of potential there though.

Early will play and play a lot. I still think he'll be a wing that can play some post if needed. Kind of like Smith this year, but bigger.

I don't know what to expect from Hawkins or Green. Both are RS candidates. But that will also depend on the development of White and Anacreon.

If I had to choose a ten man rotation, I'd guess...

Armstead/Cotton
            Williams/Baker
            Early/Wessel
            Hall/White
            Ehimen

That's only nine. I'm wondering if Hawkins can be a CF or not. If he can, I'd throw him in there as Hall will definitely play some at Center and that would allow White/Early/Hawkins to rotate some time at PF. There are a handful of guys that could play multiple positions.

PG: Armstead/Cotton/Williams/Baker
            SG: Williams/Baker/Cotton/Wessel/Early
            SF: Early/Wessel/Baker/Hawkins
            PF: Hall/White/Early/Hawkins
            C: Ehimen/Hall

That provides some pretty good depth and one that can compete for a Valley title. Creighton will be damn good next year and should be the favorite. I think Young is all they really lose, and although he's definitely good, I think Chatman will take over and be fine.

Looking beyond that, we have some shoes to fill as we'll lose Armstead, Williams, Hall, Ehimen and Anacreon. Anacreon is definitely a wild card here as he's got great athleticism and could maybe be used in the above lineup in place of White or maybe even Hawkins. Still, we have Watson coming in to take a post spot. We'll probably need another post, and maybe even a JUCO post as well as another guard or two. The '13-'14 season could look something like this for depth...

PG: Cotton (JR), FVV (SO/RFR), Baker (SO), Mitchell (SR),
            SG: Baker (SO), Cotton (JR), Wessel (JR), Early (SR)
            SF: Early (SR), Wessel (JR), Hawkins (SO/RFR), Green (RFR)(I still believe he's more of a PF)
            PF: Watson (JR), White (JR), Early (SR), Hawkins (SO/RFR), Green (RFR)
            C: Watson (JR), Henry (RFR)

That leaves three spots to be filled. A JUCO C would be a nice addition so Watson could focus on being a PF.
            Maybe even a FR C would be acceptable to RS. Not in place of the JUCO, but with.
            Then another guard of some kind. Heck, maybe a wing.
            Maybe you go for a CG and a wing and forget the FR C for a year.

The post could be a concern, but I still love where we're headed.
            Last edited by SubGod22; December 22, 2011, 09:26 AM.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I'd like to know ShockRefs opinion on Hawkins as he's seen him play more than once.
              Livin the dream

Comment

I really think we will see Hall be the starter at the 5. Dont think Marshall has enough confidence in EO to start him
                I see the lineup being Armstead, Williams/Cotton, Wessel/Baker, Early, Hall
                Kind of a small lineup but would be a very athletic and up-tempo offensive team

Comment

I know White has only played against the lesser competition, but don't discount his inside defensive ability and what the rest of the basketball year and summer can do for him. In his 55 minutes this year (about two games at 27-28 minutes worth) he has 19 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 block, 1 steal, only 1 TO, and 8 points. His shooting and FTs are not representative of what he did in HS and, I think, this is where we'll see his biggest improvement. He's not the shot blocker and intimidator that EO is, but his body is still that of a freshman and I think his numbers already stack up well to EO.

I'm just not sold yet on EO starting next year and at this time, I don't see much more than 15 mpg. I hope I'm wrong. If Green and Hawkins are both primarily PFs, I'd be surprised that both would RS. Perhaps the PF position is by committee or for whomever grabs the ring....White, Anacreon, Hawkins, and some Early. I'm hoping Early will play primarily SF along with Wessel. FVV as a RS is very interesting. If he takes Baker's lead and will do it, he may be the starting PG as a RS freshman.

Comment

Originally posted by vtshocker View Post
                    I really think we will see Hall be the starter at the 5. Dont think Marshall has enough confidence in EO to start him
                    Unless coach Marshall wants to get the opening tip.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I think everyone will agree that Hall is in the starting line-up as he is the ONLY returning starter. We lose our starting PG and Malcom is a senior with a year in the system that has had success at Oregan. No reason NOT to saddle him with the starter label. Early is an athletic big body that should be the most game-ready recruit...he starts too. After that there are no garuntees, but Williams has been "in the rotation" since his freshman year and will now be senior. Surely he will be the fourth starter or first guard off the bench.

Fifth starter? Cotton and Orukpe will have first crack at it as they are the only other returners in the nine man rotation this year. Even if neither starts, both will get plenty of minutes. That gives us six and both Wessel and Baker will make the rotation and push for a starting position for a total of 8. If that's all that play, we will definately be thin in the post, but I expect White and Hawkins to also be in the rotation in the paint and I expect FVV to get minutes, but could see where a RS might be helpful. Chances are that one of the last three mentioned will be disappointed with their role. White, Hawkins, and Anacreon all need to improve their defense prior to next season. Can Wessel play some PF ala Ben Smith??? I have my doubts.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                        First of all, we've got 14 scholarship players back (plus a scholarship worthy walk-on) for 13 spots and HCGM and company are still recruiting. It's likely that one or more of the players mentioned below won't be back, but since I know nothing about that, I'll pretend that the roster is set in stone.
                        If one was to speculate as to which player(s) won't be back in 2012-13, Anacreon's name might come up. Since I have not seen him in person, how does he look? (From posts here, I get the impression that he is lost on defensive positioning. Right? Wrong?)
                        Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                        Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

I realize most people will disagree with this but I'm not sold on Wessell. I just don't think his combination of athleticism and shooting will render him to be a succesful D1 player

Comment

I'm one that will disagree. I think you are selling his shooting (mediocre) and athleticism (good) short. Add to that his size, strength, and guard skills and you have a valuable team player. I don't see a huge ceiling or someone likely to achieve Valley stardom, but definately a guy I want on my team.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

What's not to like?

Comment

Working...
                              X