Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Interesting Observation

This is my first post so be gentle...:boxing:

After the last two games one couldn't help notice the extremely large MOV (margin of victory) even when considering the opponent. So, naturally I wondered how this compared to recent years leading into MVC play. So, I took quick glance back over the previous five years looking only at the 5 games leading into MVC play is here is what I discovered:

Year MOV Record
    11-12 19.4 ?
    10-11 5.8 29-8
    09-10 13.8 25-10
    08-09 3.6 17-7
    07-08 6.8 11-20

If I'm not mistaken...each of the years colored red included at least 1 top 20 team...

Just something to consider when heading into league play...I don't know about you but I'm excited!

We definitely have some good momentum heading into MVC play.

And contrary to popular belief on this forum, I enjoy playing CSU and Newman right before the MVC picks up. It allows our starters to get some rest, and also allows the reserves to work in minutes with certain starters, and also entire 5 reserve sets on the court. These past 2 games I think will be beneficial in expanding our depth at the end of the roster, allowing us to get solid minutes from some of them. For example, James Anacreon. He's been in the dog house all year long, and he finally gets the chance to show up and play, and what does he do? Makes a handful of electrifying plays, and shows HCGM that he can play a few minutes a game.

I like our scheduling.
    ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

@kai:, you might take a look at the game footage from last night and see James' positioning, weak side, on defense.

There is a reason he's not going to be in the games that matter. Yes he has athletic ability, no doubt, but he's still as lost as it gets.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        @kai, you might take a look at the game footage from last night and see James' positioning, weak side, on defense.

There is a reason he's not going to be in the games that matter. Yes he has athletic ability, no doubt, but he's still as lost as it gets.
        Yeah, but how else is he going to get better than game minutes? It's what we've been needing from EO, and the game minutes EO has gotten all year is really helping him. You can only get so much better through practice. Game situations always allow coaches to teach players what they need to do better.

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
          Yeah, but how else is he going to get better than game minutes?
          Practice

It's what we've been needing from EO, and the game minutes EO has gotten all year is really helping him.
          I don't see how you think EO is getting better. He has done a good job on the defensive end, but he is a train wreck on the offensive end.

You can only get so much better through practice. Game situations always allow coaches to teach players what they need to do better.
          I would be interesting to hear you call into the coaches show and ask the coach if he prefer to work on game situations in practice or in the game. 2nd question, would you rather have another game during the week or another practice if you had a choice.

Comment

Coach Marshall and The Answer would not get along, at all.

Comment

While I do agree that practice is much more important for improvement, the game minutes are big for these guys. It can do wonders for confidence and for motivation. It definitely helps for them to feel the crowd energy, gives them a reason to work hard at practice.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                @kai, you might take a look at the game footage from last night and see James' positioning, weak side, on defense.

His on ball defense was nothing to write home about either.

Comment

"I don't see how you think EO is getting better. He has done a good job on the defensive end, but he is a train wreck on the offensive end."

So, is EO worse on the offensive end to offset his improvement on the defensive end,OR does only the offensive end count in your view?
                  "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                  ---------------------------------------
                  Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                  "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                  "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                    Practice

I don't see how you think EO is getting better. He has done a good job on the defensive end, but he is a train wreck on the offensive end.

I would be interesting to hear you call into the coaches show and ask the coach if he prefer to work on game situations in practice or in the game. 2nd question, would you rather have another game during the week or another practice if you had a choice.
                    I guess we should forego the rest of the season and just practice.

Game minutes are valuable. You see how your team reacts to different situations that a team can't practice for. I guess I don't understand why you're trying to disagree/argue/debate me on this. I'm saying that game minutes are valuable. I'm not saying practice isn't valuable, but getting a chance to throw players in a game, you know you're going to win, to see how they react to that situation, and give them confidence, and a chance to play is of a different value than just practice.

Also, we'll never know what is helping EO, game minutes, practice, or just the standard evolution of a basketball player, but comparing EO from last year, to this year, he's light years ahead of last year. And take it a step further, take EO at Shocker Madness, and compare him to the EO that's played the last 4-5 games, and I can see a difference. He's starting to develop things like confidence, that come with game time exposure.

Comment

One of the few times I've seen the word 'practice' mentioned more...
                      Allen Iverson says practive 20 times in a press conference. One for the ages.

Comment

Originally posted by skywalker30 View Post
                        While I do agree that practice is much more important for improvement, the game minutes are big for these guys. It can do wonders for confidence and for motivation. It definitely helps for them to feel the crowd energy, gives them a reason to work hard at practice.
                        I do agree this is where game time is important.

Comment

Clearly practice time and game time or both important. Practice time to work on the fundamentals and skills you will need to put to use in game situations. Game time for gaining the experience on actually utilizing those skills in the spotlight.

Some guys are great practice players but just can't translate that to game time when the lights shine brightest. Other guys may or may not be great practice players but when the bell rings they always seem to answer the call.

One thing for sure is you don't know what kind of guy you have unless you give them an adequate sample size of game experience.

3G has kind of indicated that at this point EO practices at a much higher level than he plays in the games. Whether his game performance will ever catch up to his practice performance remains to be seen, but he certainly won't get there without the opportnity to learn and grow in live game experiences.
                          Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 20, 2011, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                            Clearly practice time and game time or both important. Practice time to work on the fundamentals and skills you will need to put to use in game situations. Game time for gaining the experience on actually utilizing those skills in the spotlight.

Some guys are great practice players but just can't translate that to game time when the lights shine brightest. Other guys may or may not be great practice players but when the bell rings they always seem to answer the call.

One thing for sure is you don't know what kind of guy you have unless you give them an adequate sample size of game experience.

3G has kind of indicated that at this point EO practices at a much higher level than he plays in the games. Whether his game performance will ever catch up to his practice performance remains to be seen, but he certainly won't get their without the opportnity to learn and grow in live game experiences.
                            Well said.

Comment

Welcome aboard JayShawk, not a bad first post. While some may question your loyalty to both schools, I know that deep down you love the Shockers just like the rest of us. How do I know this............? Well your my younger brother for crying out loud. Your insight will be appreciated on here so feel free to post away. Again, welcome to this really cool forum!

Comment

Working...
                              X