Newman Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
    Why don't you volunteer your services for scheduling Snapshot, since you think it is so easy? The coaches have said time and time again that a school like WSU has challenges in getting games that the BCS conference schools and select programs (Gonzaga, Butler, Memphis) don't have. If we went the Gonzaga route we would have to give up a fair number of home non-con games, at least at first, to be an "anytime, anywhere" type of program. I think there would be a lot of howling if we only had 12 home games instead of the usual 16 or 17 we have now.

I know we all would like to think we're a bigger player in the grand scheme, but we aren't quite there yet. We have the potential, but we need to fulfill that potential on a much more regular basis. If we could become a nearly annual NCAA team, and get at least one or two wins in the NCAAs most years, maybe then we elevate our stature nationally.
    Well said. I think we could get many of the season ticket holders to bite on 14-15 home games. I could be wrong. I also will pay a $20 spiff and a sixer of Schlitz talls to @Snapshot9: for any top 100 home games he schedules.
    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

I'd be OK with with 14 if it meant a strength of schedule boost. 9 MVC games + 3 non-con at CKA + 1 non-con at IBA + 1 exhibition. We would have fewer games to attend in November and December, but I would like to think a greater opportunity to be playing well into March would be worth it.
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
        I'd be OK with with 14 if it meant a strength of schedule boost. 9 MVC games + 3 non-con at CKA + 1 non-con at IBA + 1 exhibition. We would have fewer games to attend in November and December, but I would like to think a greater opportunity to be playing well into March would be worth it.
        Part of the problem with that is financial. Home basketball games is where we make our money. In fact home basketball games not only finance the basketball program they help finance all of the athletic programs at WSU (except baseball which is able to pretty much finance itself).

Comment

Originally posted by shocker3 View Post
          Part of the problem with that is financial. Home basketball games is where we make our money. In fact home basketball games not only finance the basketball program they help finance all of the athletic programs at WSU (except baseball which is able to pretty much finance itself).
          The Gonzaga "way" is you can trade in some of that easy payday income for large TV package deals if you are an annual deep NCAA-tourney threat, isn't it? I don't know squat about it, does that even make sense?
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
            The Gonzaga "way" is you can trade in some of that easy payday income for large TV package deals if you are an annual deep NCAA-tourney threat, isn't it? I don't know squat about it, does that even make sense?
            Gonzaga's situation is definitely different. They are a small private school. Their arena only holds just under 6000 (before 2004 they played in an even smaller arena), so their home games do not produce the kind of revenue that WSU games do.

Comment

Originally posted by shocker3 View Post
              Gonzaga's situation is definitely different. They are a small private school. Their arena only holds just under 6000 (before 2004 they played in an even smaller arena), so their home games do not produce the kind of revenue that WSU games do.
              Ah that does make sense. They have less risk financially in grinding the road.
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Didn't Syracuse cover our travel AND give us 100,000? All we'd really lose is concessions and advertising. Certainly the guarantee covers that and it does more for the program as a whole.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                  Didn't Syracuse cover our travel AND give us 100,000? All we'd really lose is concessions and advertising. Certainly the guarantee covers that and it does more for the program as a whole.
                  Because Syracuse plays in the Carrier Dome that seats over 34,000 for basketball, they can afford to provide much bigger payouts than most schools, even elite ones. I'd like to see the numbers on average buyout rather than use that example.
                  "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Charleston Southern -75k
                    Chicago State - 80k

Also, I believe the WSU-'Cuse game was on ESPNU, that might help a little bit with costs.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                      Ah that does make sense. They have less risk financially in grinding the road.
                      Gonzaga was truly a rags to riches story. They played 37 years in division 1 before they finally made the ncaa tournament for the first time in 1995. They played in a gym that held like 3500 people. So taking a chance and playing on the road was probably actually a financial boost at the time.

They didn't get their first at-large ncaa bid until 2003. The size of the university has grown tremondously (now over 7000 students) since their big splash on the national scene in the 1999 ncaa tournament -the year they made it to the elite 8 in only their 2nd ncaa tournament appearance ever.

Comment

Working...
                      X