No announcement yet.

Newman Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anything good on postgame or locker room?

Comment

Kind of a mixed bag tonight. I didn't think we ran our offense nearly as crisply as we have been lately. Ben Smith continues to play very efficiently. Joe was pretty solid also. Hopefully, 3G will prohibit the guys from eating buttered popcorn while on the bench. At times the game became very play-groundish. I will say that the Newman kids generally play hard.

Hard to really evaluate these last two games with so many players and different combos on the floor. Obviously, the bench will be shortened with MVC play starting.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
        I know this won't be popular here because many of you have personal relationships with Coach Potter, but I would like to formally apologize to Chicago State. Newman is not as good as ChiState. Newman is probably better coached, but they just don't have the class of athletes that ChiState does. WSU didn't play as well as they did against ChiState either, or this would have been much worse.

I always bought in to the popular belief that a decent DII squad would be quite a bit better than a bad DI squad. These two games, back-to-back, has changed my mind on that quite a bit. A bad DI squad is still able to recruit another cut of athlete and that's why making it to the DI ranks, in and of itself, is special.

I'm sure there are a lot of counter examples, but that's the way the winds blowing for me tonight.
        Newman played better (at least harder) defense. I think that we had to play harder tonight. They were scrappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
          I know this won't be popular here because many of you have personal relationships with Coach Potter, but I would like to formally apologize to Chicago State. Newman is not as good as ChiState. Newman is probably better coached, but they just don't have the class of athletes that ChiState does. WSU didn't play as well as they did against ChiState either, or this would have been much worse.

I always bought in to the popular belief that a decent DII squad would be quite a bit better than a bad DI squad. These two games, back-to-back, has changed my mind on that quite a bit. A bad DI squad is still able to recruit another cut of athlete and that's why making it to the DI ranks, in and of itself, is special.

I'm sure there are a lot of counter examples, but that's the way the winds blowing for me tonight.
          I am sure if newman played chicago state it would be a close game. Honestly if I were a recruit I would rather play for a good d2 than a team like chicago state. With that in mind I am sure there are plenty of d2 schools that could stomp chicago state. Hell, chaminad (sp??)beat ou in the maui tournament last year.
          “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
          -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

40% discount at Sportstime Fan Shop tomorrow. I'm definitely going to make a stop in and load up on some WSU gear.
            Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
              Anything good on postgame or locker room?

Marshall will be be out recruiting Monday. No coaches show unless the airport is closed.
              Last edited by tropicalshox; December 20, 2011, 12:51 AM.
              In the fast lane

Comment

Originally posted by Ta Town Shocker View Post
                40% discount at Sportstime Fan Shop tomorrow. I'm definitely going to make a stop in and load up on some WSU gear.
                Good Idea! How late are they open?

Comment

9:00
                  Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

I don't see how this game is any better than the Chicago State. An almost 50 point beatdown is not a game. Heck, even Alcorn State has a #255 rpi ranking this year.
                    Someone, I don't care who, needs to do a BETTER JOB scheduling games.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9 View Post
                      I don't see how this game is any better than the Chicago State. An almost 50 point beatdown is not a game. Heck, even Alcorn State has a #255 rpi ranking this year.
                      Pretty easy to understand.

Chicago State: Bad game, hurts us.
                      Newman: Bad game, doesn't hurt us.

And Alcorn State is projected to have an RPI of 328, let's not get all crazy early in the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Ta Town Shocker View Post
                        I thought Head Coach Marshall said on the post-game Coach Jans would be doing the the Coaches show unless he was unable to leave town due to weather.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9 View Post
                          The problem and reasons have been stated again and again. In my opinion, they did the best they could do. Another idiot called into the post game show to criticise and Coach Heier explained again. I imagine that tonight another idiot will call into Jans on Coach Marshall's show.

Comment

Originally posted by Zardoz View Post
                            I thought Head Coach Marshall said on the post-game Coach Jans would be doing the the Coaches show unless he was unable to leave town due to weather.
                            That's what I heard. Also, I think due to the Holiday's the show is tonight(Tuesday) with no radio show next week. Not 100% sure about that.

3G plans to be out recruiting if the weather allows. Caoch Jans to sub for 3G. Coach
                            Adams will call in around 6:45 for the final segment of tonights show.

Comment

Why don't you volunteer your services for scheduling Snapshot, since you think it is so easy? The coaches have said time and time again that a school like WSU has challenges in getting games that the BCS conference schools and select programs (Gonzaga, Butler, Memphis) don't have. If we went the Gonzaga route we would have to give up a fair number of home non-con games, at least at first, to be an "anytime, anywhere" type of program. I think there would be a lot of howling if we only had 12 home games instead of the usual 16 or 17 we have now.

I know we all would like to think we're a bigger player in the grand scheme, but we aren't quite there yet. We have the potential, but we need to fulfill that potential on a much more regular basis. If we could become a nearly annual NCAA team, and get at least one or two wins in the NCAAs most years, maybe then we elevate our stature nationally.
                              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
                                Why don't you volunteer your services for scheduling Snapshot, since you think it is so easy? The coaches have said time and time again that a school like WSU has challenges in getting games that the BCS conference schools and select programs (Gonzaga, Butler, Memphis) don't have. If we went the Gonzaga route we would have to give up a fair number of home non-con games, at least at first, to be an "anytime, anywhere" type of program. I think there would be a lot of howling if we only had 12 home games instead of the usual 16 or 17 we have now.

I know we all would like to think we're a bigger player in the grand scheme, but we aren't quite there yet. We have the potential, but we need to fulfill that potential on a much more regular basis. If we could become a nearly annual NCAA team, and get at least one or two wins in the NCAAs most years, maybe then we elevate our stature nationally.
                                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X