Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are we going to play small ball next year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are we going to play small ball next year?

With our two most ready to play recruits (Gilbert and Porter) being PGs, having three returning starters (TE, DD, and TW) playing the 2/3/4, two bigs, and three freshman slashing wings, is it likely we play small ball next year?

Any chance one of Jenkins, Council, or Michael can play small ball 4 like Ben Smith?
    Livin the dream

Possibilities are endless... Houston rockets seem to have been doing fine. As long as they can rebound and play defense... Whose to say it's not possible.

Comment

Unless JB and PBC step up big time or Marshall recruits a quality big, the Shockers have no choice but to play small ball. John Wooden coached UCLA to a National Championship with a very small team; the center was 6'5" if I remember correctly.

Time will tell!

Comment

Lots of switches and lots of versatility ;)
        The Assman

Comment

IPBC and JB can man the 5 if needed. 1 in and four out is fine by me.

Comment

At one point against Gonzaga we had FVV, Malcom, Baker, Demetric, and Tekele on the court.

Last year we played lineups with Burton, Sherfield, Stevenson, and Fernandes.

Marshall has been using small ball lineups for as long as he’s been here dating back to Graham Hatch/Ben Smith at the 4. Evan Wessell.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
              At one point against Gonzaga we had FVV, Malcom, Baker, Demetric, and Tekele on the court.

Last year we played lineups with Burton, Sherfield, Stevenson, and Fernandes.

Marshall has been using small ball lineups for as long as he’s been here dating back to Graham Hatch/Ben Smith at the 4. Evan Wessell.
              Similar small lineup in the Elite 8 game vs Ohio State. And Carl Hall wasn't 6'8"

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post
                Unless JB and PBC step up big time or Marshall recruits a quality big, the Shockers have no choice but to play small ball. John Wooden coached UCLA to a National Championship with a very small team; the center was 6'5" if I remember correctly.

Time will tell!

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone View Post

At first I thought this was Stevenson.....and I would have believed the confused part....:)

Comment

Found a link to confirm the UCLA Small Ball National Champions - this was Wooden's first National Championship. I remember watching the National Championship game against Duke (who had two starters that were 6'10' or taller. UCLA beat Duke like a drum.

Starting Lineup:

Walt Hazard - 6'2' Guard

Gail Goodrich - 6'1" Guard

Keith Erickson - 6'5" Forward

Jack Hirsch - 6'3" Forward

Fred Slaughter - 6'5" Center

Fred was an incredible two sport athlete from Topeka; he was also a sprinter on the UCLA track team with a time under 10 seconds in the 100.

Comment

Working...
                    X