No announcement yet.

2011–20: A Decade to Remember

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sometime in December, 2014 and ESPN College Gameday?

If my recollections are correct, sometime in middle to late December someone started looking a couple of months ahead and was trying to figure out what other big teams/games were schedule for February 28, 2015 on ESPN our "WILDCARD" game. They were:

Arizona @ Utah
    Louisville @ Florida State
    Syracuse @ Duke
    Texas @ Kansas
    UNI @ Wichita State

Still a lot of basketball to be played, and maybe, just maybe we might have a chance at this thing.

The Shockers would end their non-conference record in late December at 10-2. On to MVC Conference play...

Comment

January, 2015
      The Shockers would rattle of wins against: at Drake, Illinois State, vs Bradley, at Loyola, vs Southern Illinois, at Evansville, at Missouri State, vs Drake, and vs Missouri State. They would be 9 and 0 and heading for a road game on the last day of January, 2015.

January 31, 2015 - #12 Wichita State at #18 Northern Iowa

The Shockers were now tied with UNI at 9-1 in the MVC Conference race. Oh and the ESPN College Gameday dream, well at least we got to talk about it.

Comment

Also, I should have mention that a professor at WSU had started a Business Class for the Spring Semester on Marketing Strategies and ESPN College Game day.

Comment

Comment

February, 2015

With the WSU Marketing Class keeping the faith and moving forward with their business plan, the Shocker Men's Basketball team would have to do their part as well. Other things would have to happen too: Northern Iowa would need to keep winning and be ranked, teams who WSU was competing against like: Arizona, Louisville, Florida State, Syracuse, and Texas would need to lose.

They WSU Business Students and Men's Basketball Players wouldn't disappoint us would they?

Feb. 4 at Bradley for the win - Check!
            Feb. 7 vs Missouri State for the win - Check!

WSU Students Campaign to Bring ESPN College GameDay to Wichita

Feb. 11 vs Indiana State for the win - Check!
            Feb. 14 at Illinois State for the win - Check!

Feb. 17 at Southern Illinois for the win - Check!

Comment

February 21, 2015 – THE OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT

A couple days before the official announcement, rumors were flying everywhere. From twitter to Shockernet.net to local Television Reports, to word-on-the-street, big news was headed our way...

and then...

Comment

Last week of February, 2015
                After a few pats on the back all-around for a job well done, the Basketball Team and Shocker Nation had work to get done. We still had games to be played and prep work for ESPN COLLEGE GAMEDAY.

That includes you too Wu! No time for napping.

First WSU will need to win a couple of “TRAP GAMES”

First one up...

February 22, 2015 - Evansville at #11 Wichita State
                Ron Baker recorded his first career double-double with 18 points and 15 rebounds and Fred VanVleet became Wichita State's all-time assists leader to push the Shocker men's basketball team past Evansville 62-43 on Sunday afternoon inside Charles Koch Arena.

Next one...

February 25, 2015 - #11 Wichita State at Indiana State
                Darius Carter's double-double and a big second half from Fred VanVleet lifted No. 11 Wichita State to a 63-53 victory and spoiled Senior Night for Indiana State in front of 6,169 fans at the Hulman Center. Gregg Marshall notched his 200th career win and became just the ninth coach in MVC history to win 100 conference games.

The Shocker men had done it. Two more big wins. Now on to the MVC SHOWDOWN!
                Last edited by WuShock Reaper; March 27, 2020, 02:51 PM.

Comment

February 26, 2015 - Our House. Our War.

Comment

Comment

• Comment

• February 28, 2015 - ESPN College GAMEDAY!

My day actually started the day before. Driving over 300 miles in snow and ice i made my way to Wichita. I wasn't going to miss this one for the world. So my youngest son and I loaded up my Chevy Tahoe and the adventure began. I white-knuckled it the entire way, but we made it safe and sound.

Gameday Mania

Sights and sound before they begin

Getting Jacked-up

Comment

• Recap of the ESPN Gameday Experience by the WuShock Reaper

Man, did Shocker Nation bring it! It was A++, uh +, yep A+++! Thank you Shocker Nation for an event I'm not likely to ever experience again. I was sitting on the opposite side of students when a gentleman I had recognized step out from the shadows of one of the seating tunnels and stopped to take-in the pageantry of College Gameday. I immediately got up from my chair, introduced myself and said, "Mr. Commissioner, it's a pretty special day isn't it?" It was Doug Elgin, Commissioner of the Missouri Valley Conference. He paused for a second, with his lips tightening for a brief moment, he nodded in agreement, and with a tear in his eye he replied, "It's a very special day indeed. A very special day". I thanked him for coming and returned to my seat.

SIDE NOTE: Does anyone have a copy of the WSU ESPN Gameday program? I was not able to record it and could never find the entire program on the internet, only bits a pieces.

Check out all the photos at
                          Exposure is a modern publishing platform for photographers and visual storytellers. It’s the simple way to create and share your unique photo stories.

THE NIGHT BEFORE
                          Following the WSU women’s basketball game Friday night, ESPN crews immediately began setup for the telecast the next morning. After approximately an hour and a half the stage was set for Saturday’s festivities.
                          The Night Before.JPG

A LITTLE WEATHER NEVER HURT ANYBODY
                          Students and fans endured freezing temperatures and an entire morning of snow on Saturday, but that didn’t stop Shocker Nation from showing up to the ever-popular ESPN show. Approximately 70 students camped outside for two days prior to GameDay.
                          A Little Weather Never Hurt No One.JPG

GREGG MARSHALL ON SET
                          During the first hour of the show, Shocker head coach Gregg Marshall joined the ESPN personalities on set for a segment that aired on ESPNU.
                          Gregg Marshall On Set.JPG

Comment

• SIGN, SIGN EVERYWHERE A SIGN!
                            A tradition on ESPN College GameDay is for the fans to show off their artistic abilities in the creation of signs to appear on television behind the set. The Wichita State faithful did not disappoint.
                            SIgn Sign Everywhere A Sign.JPG

SHOCKERS SUPPORTING SHOCKERS
                            Wichita State student-athletes from several teams made their presence felt during the show.
                            Shockers Supporting Shockers.JPG

SHOW UP AND SHOW OUT!
                            Show Up and Show Out.JPG

Comment

• LIGHTS< CAMERA AND ACTION!
                              The usual four ESPN College GameDay personalities, host Rece Davis, Seth Greenberg, Jay Williams and Jay Bilas welcomed a special guest appearance from Stephen A. Smith.
                              Lights, Camera, Action.JPG

STATE FARM ASSISTS
                              State Farm partners with each GameDay site to assist local students. Marie Brewer of the Alpha Phi sorority was the winner of the #OffCourtAssist which won $5,000 for a charity of her choosing. Tyler Francis was the lucky participant chosen to try and make a half court shot in 18 seconds to win an $18,000 scholarship. He wasn’t able to knock one down, but did walk away with $1,500
                              State Farm Assists.JPG

JAY PICKS THE SHOCKERS
                              Jay Williams channeled is inner Ron Baker when he picked the Shockers to take down Northern Iowa during the GameDay Picks segment at the conclusion of the show.
                              Jay Picks the Shockers.JPG

Comment

• ESPN GAMEDAY AT WICHITA STATE.JPG
                                WuShock Cheering.jpg

Again, great job Shocker Nation. Outstanding.

Comment

Working...
                                X