Question on Calling Traveling on Loose Ball Possessions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Calling Traveling on Loose Ball Possessions

After years of seeing it happen and wondering if/how the rule had changed, I’m finally starting this thread asking for clarification from whoever knows (but preferably from one of the refs on the board). It drove me nuts last year since I saw it at least 4 times with Graham, and I’ve seen it multiple times in games this year.

What exactly is the rule - and more specifically how it is actually supposed to be applied - for calling traveling when a player gets on the floor for a loose ball?

I am far from an expert, but back in the 90s when I was playing and reffing intramurals/tournaments to earn extra money I clearly remember being taught on multiple occasions by coaches and refs how to handle that situation. And that was:

If a player gets on the floor for a loose ball and tries to get up, it’s traveling. If they roll over, it’s traveling. If they throw a leg out and try to get a better angle for a pass, it’s almost always traveling. But if they stay in the same position in which they obtained the loose ball and try to pass out of it, it is NOT traveling.

Multiple times last year I saw Graham dive for a ball or get clipped obtaining a rebound, hit the deck, and without even making an effort to get up (and in some cases right as he was hitting the ground) the whistle was blown and traveling called.

Bottom line – I’m pretty sure I’m not imagining that there’s a lot less leeway than there used to be in this area.

Any insights from our experts?

Oops. I thought I was in the basketball forum when I hit the "new thread" button. Kai, can you move this for me? Thanks.

Comment

I've ref'd a few games, but I'm not an expert. As a player, I was always taught that if you used the floor to your advantage, it was traveling, i.e. rolling over.

Comment

If you have the ball, and then go down (Happened to Hatch a few times) that's a travel. If you get on the floor to get the ball then you're ok for the most part. If you're on your stomach, than that's the pivot point. If you're on your back side, your butt is your pivot point. If you're on your side, you get to roll one way or the other and that's your pivot point.

Does that help?
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
          If you have the ball, and then go down (Happened to Hatch a few times) that's a travel. If you get on the floor to get the ball then you're ok for the most part. If you're on your stomach, than that's the pivot point. If you're on your back side, your butt is your pivot point. If you're on your side, you get to roll one way or the other and that's your pivot point.

Does that help?

Yes, but still doesn't explain several calls I've seen in many different games. I randomly ended up going to lunch with a former teammate that refs college and asked him about it - he said there hadn't been any rule change, that I was just seeing it applied incorrectly. Thanks!

Comment

It's definitely applied incorrectly. I've worked games where my partner(s) have blown these calls.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I was taught you only establish a pivot with the feet. If you're prostrate on the floor you don't have a pivot,so its traveling.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigshotmaker View Post
                I was taught you only establish a pivot with the feet. If you're prostrate on the floor you don't have a pivot,so its traveling.
                This would make sense because it would be hard to pivot on your prostate even though my doctor has gotten me to flinch on occassion.

Comment

Old school :good:
                  “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                    This would make sense because it would be hard to pivot on your prostate even though my doctor has gotten me to flinch on occassion.
                    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I don't know if that is how it was, but it's not the case now.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                      X